Winter Solstice

Accidentally™ switch tickets with someone on the airport going to NYC and stay in a Plaza Hotel and treat youself with Home Alone 2 style Christmas. :D

Um, yes. I'm Catalan ( :D ), but I live in the Canary Islands. Here winter is a joke. Yes, it may be very cold in some places, but I miss the snow and a colder weather this time of the year.

Dude, I just returned yesterday from Gran Canaria to Finland. You may think you wish you had a cold and dark season, but I say you are just kidding yourself.;)

Dude, I just returned yesterday from Gran Canaria to Finland. You may think you wish you had a cold and dark season, but I say you are just kidding yourself.;)
I'm not kidding myself. :D Catalonia is not as cold as Finland, that's sure, but it's way colder than here, and I know my country and I miss it this time of the year. :-S

BTW, I live in Tenerife, the other big island here, along with Gran Canaria.

eloyc, I thought you might find this interesting...
Yes, it is interesting as it is true... It is a clever, funny, graphical explanation on the roots of the current "Christmas" tradition.

However, I found it a bit lacking when he said that we don't know when Jesus was born, because he could have said that we know that, if he were born, it certainly wasn't in winter, according to the Bible (it was in September).

Yes, it is interesting as it is true... It is a clever, funny, graphical explanation on the roots of the current "Christmas" tradition.

However, I found it a bit lacking when he said that we don't know when Jesus was born, because he could have said that we know that, if he were born, it certainly wasn't in winter, according to the Bible (it was in September).
yeah, this show is an good to be introduced to stuff you didn't know, but its never super in depth, but its to be expected given the format and its proposition.

I'm not kidding myself. :D Catalonia is not as cold as Finland, that's sure, but it's way colder than here, and I know my country and I miss it this time of the year. :-S

BTW, I live in Tenerife, the other big island here, along with Gran Canaria.

It's funny how Christmas is somehow associated with snow and cold season in western culture, considering the climate in Israel/Palestine area. I guess we (in the northernmost parts of the world) are to blame for that.
In that regard, Canarian weather would really be quite close to 'real' Christmas climate, whereas for the Winter Solstice celebration you proposed, up here would of course be the best to get in the mood. Rovaniemi, in arctic circle, would be the ultimate Winter Solstice festival location as they get the night-around-the-clock precisely at the winter solstice day. For some reason, that town is currently proclaimed as the official base of Santa Claus - so winter solstice and Christmas are already pretty much intertwined.

Tenerife is even nicer than Gran Canaria, will surely visit there at some point again.

It's funny how Christmas is somehow associated with snow and cold season in western culture, considering the climate in Israel/Palestine area. I guess we (in the northernmost parts of the world) are to blame for that.
In that regard, Canarian weather would really be quite close to 'real' Christmas climate, whereas for the Winter Solstice celebration you proposed, up here would of course be the best to get in the mood. Rovaniemi, in arctic circle, would be the ultimate Winter Solstice festival location as they get the night-around-the-clock precisely at the winter solstice day. For some reason, that town is currently proclaimed as the official base of Santa Claus - so winter solstice and Christmas are already pretty much intertwined.

Tenerife is even nicer than Gran Canaria, will surely visit there at some point again.
Yes, since I claim the pagan origins of Christmas and it is truly a winter celebration, a colder climate is how it must be for me, but you're right that, strictly speaking, winter weather shouldn't be attached to a real Christmas celebration... as well as all other winter references, in fact.

As far as I know/have seen, yes, Tenerife is nicer (landscape, tourism, industry), even if the difference is not very big. This subject is very tricky, here. There's a lot of rivalry between these two islands.

Back