Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The in-store demos I've seen does emphasize the ridiculous color (which is friggin gorgeous, honestly, best I've ever seen on LCD TVs) but I can't see any light bleed. Maybe the store demos are designed to suppress it? There aren't any sections with largely dark screens with a bright spot inside it, for example.

So current Samsungs don't have any local dimming backlights, is that it?

Light bleed is significantly more visible in a darkened room like a home cinema or even a living room at night with the lights off or dimmed. It's almost impossible to see in a brightly lit store.

Regards,
SB

Yep. Watch dark material in a dark-ish room (even not so dark actually!) and you can really see light bleed. That's why in-store viewings are always a bit misleading, as you will never have that amount of ambient light at home, even with the lights on. But that colour on those Q sets is gorgeous.

They are?? That's really good news. The Q line only needed FALD to actually be great. Colour was ridiculously good, but that backlight bleed was just awful.

Well. They don't have much of a choice. Micro LED isn't happening and neither is true QLED so back to FALD setups to win back marketshare in the high end.

If Sony doesn't make a Z9D successor, then Samsung could be a good position to sweep out the high end LCD market which will still have good demand.

If Sony doesn't make a Z9D successor, then Samsung could be a good position to sweep out the high end LCD market which will still have good demand.
...If they stop showing ads in the fuggin menus that is. Jesus, wtf? Ugh. I was wary of buying a Samsung before (due to my TV's truly super annoying tendency to throw up a popup telling me it updated its smart hub, telling me to run it now.

Right in the center of the screen. Right while I'm watching something. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

The ads is just the killing blow. I won't buy a TV with ads even if it was the best and cheapest TV in the universe.

All those Updates should happen next time you switch on. Or silently in the background when you switch off. Why is basic usability so hard for many software designers to grasp??

Not necessarily console related, but if you want to test your 4K HDR TV's, The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime Video just launched their new season last night. It's a car show, but has lots of great geographical images and such. It's simply gorgeous on my X900. It's a streaming source of 4k HDR, so I thought I'd share.

Not necessarily console related, but if you want to test your 4K HDR TV's, The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime Video just launched their new season last night. It's a car show, but has lots of great geographical images and such. It's simply gorgeous on my X900. It's a streaming source of 4k HDR, so I thought I'd share.

Agreed. Absolutely amazing.

Also Chef’s Table on Netflix, which is also an amazing show.

Yeah, chefs table France is amazing as is French food.

Why the brits can’t learn to cook or enjoy flavor is beyond me. All those invasions and didn’t learn a damn thing....

You say that, but it's amazing how few ingredients we used to have here, even the shitty ones like swede, prior to centuries of constant invasions. I don't know what anyone here used to eat, presumably boiled stones.

And French food sucks, those cheese eating surrender monkeys can't cook anything without cream. Italian's where it's at: great food without the pretense.

All of that said, strong cheddar is the ultimate cheese.

My plan was to wait HDMI 2.1, but It seems it won't be here in full effect until 2019... Now... The LG C7... I will have to change my amp, but, I like it a lot...

With the LG B7/C7 series, I see people referencing 4 different basic settings
  1. SDR Material Daytime
  2. SDR Material Nighttime
  3. HDR Material Daytime
  4. HDR Material Nighttime
Does the TV allow for all 4 different settings to be set and recalled via User Preference Slots 1 through 4? Or can only HDR and SDR settings be set at the same time? Or do people have them setup based on HDMI Input ports? Or does the TV have ambient light sensor and signal input sensors and can change automatically for the user?

So basically how "parent friendly" is the TV, or even other HDR TVs, in regards to the sertings menus?

What I'm familiar with is a set from 2008 where the settings are isolated by HDMI inputs, however with having all inputs running through an AVR means effectively only having 1 setting available automatically.

Depending on the answers to previous questions, it seems like it might be best to run the various HDMI inputs through the TV and use active audio return to the AVR, at least to make the different settings apply mostly automatically.

With the LG B7/C7 series, I see people referencing 4 different basic settings
  1. SDR Material Daytime
  2. SDR Material Nighttime
  3. HDR Material Daytime
  4. HDR Material Nighttime
Does the TV allow for all 4 different settings to be set and recalled via User Preference Slots 1 through 4? Or can only HDR and SDR settings be set at the same time? Or do people have them setup based on HDMI Input ports? Or does the TV have ambient light sensor and signal input sensors and can change automatically for the user?

So basically how "parent friendly" is the TV, or even other HDR TVs, in regards to the sertings menus?

What I'm familiar with is a set from 2008 where the settings are isolated by HDMI inputs, however with having all inputs running through an AVR means effectively only having 1 setting available automatically.

Depending on the answers to previous questions, it seems like it might be best to run the various HDMI inputs through the TV and use active audio return to the AVR, at least to make the different settings apply mostly automatically.

HDR and SDR will auto switch when a signal is detected.

When in SDR more, you'll have a whole different set of picture options (Cinema/Technicolor/ISF Bright/ISF Dark) you can use.

When in HDR more, you'll have a different ones (Cinema User/Technicolor).

I'm only listing the more accurate ones. Day/night is just referring to your OLED light level which determines nits output.

Within HDR, you have different types of HDR such as HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Each is calibrated differently.

The easiest t hing you can do for parents is turn it, set it to Technicolor preset for SDR and Cinema User for all HDR settings. It'll be 95%+ great just by that.

But how much will comfortable sunglasses and sunscreen cost to be able to watch 2800nits HDR?

It’s really not *that* bright :)
I’m just playing through Shadow of War which is one of those few games where the HDR is really well done and just everywhere, and while the game is bright and my 65” ZD9 goes up to 1800-2000, it’s not bright enough to actually be annoying.

CES is in a couple of days, I am very curious about the ZD9 successor if Sony is making one for the consumers this year, maybe we'll finally reach that Backlight Master Drive prototype shown in 2016 that reached 4000 nits :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back