Android/IOS automatic stop charging at 80%

zed

Legend
For years I've used an app that will make a noise when 80% is reached for my phones/tablet but the thing is I have to then unplug it myself, occasionally I'm not there and it charges to 100%. Is it possible to somehow set a limit eg 80% and when thats reached the device will not charge any further?

There is at least one android app that can do that, but I believe the phone needs to be rooted and it isn't compatible with all phones.
I just wish that we still have removable battery :(
Even if we don't have removable battery, at least make it so that replacing the battery isn't involving disassembling the phone. From what I see on what you need to do to change iPhone 7 or S7 battery, it is simply too much step for me.

For years I've used an app that will make a noise when 80% is reached for my phones/tablet but the thing is I have to then unplug it myself, occasionally I'm not there and it charges to 100%. Is it possible to somehow set a limit eg 80% and when thats reached the device will not charge any further?

Why would you want to do that?

As far as I know modern batteries are perfectly capable regulating themselves. The whole "don't over charge" or "don't complete drain" your battery stories aren't true anymore (if they ever were).

Modern batteries also seem pretty decent at holding capacity over time (I remember reading that modern Samsung batteries still hold 90% of their original capacity after 3 years) so I don't really see the point in trying to protect your battery.

Why would you want to do that?

As far as I know modern batteries are perfectly capable regulating themselves. The whole "don't over charge" or "don't complete drain" your battery stories aren't true anymore (if they ever were
On the phone so can't Google well for proof But it's still valid today, iirc charging to 80% Vs 100 extends your battery by about 3x, i.e a massive benefit.
Also iirc Tesla cars won't charge more than 80% or under 20% though could be wrong about this

But it's still valid today, iirc charging to 80% Vs 100 extends your battery by about 3x, i.e a massive benefit.
It's pointless. You won't be wearing out your battery until you switch phone anyway. Maybe if you charge two or three times a day, but then that's simply evidence you use your phone too damn much...

So TLDR, don't sweat it. Just charge as usual.

Anecdotal evidence: I used my iPhone 4 for nearly 3 years. Then my dad used it for nearly 3 more years. Battery was still good at that time.

What the software displays and what the battery internally charges to are probably two different values.
Yes on tesla cars I think thats what they're doing
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/09/tesla-unlocks-extra-battery-capacity-owners-fleeing-hurricanes/
i.e. something along the lines when it saiz its empty it still has charge in it and visa versa
I wouldn't worry about it.
huh, mate you've posted factually wrong info. If ppl read what you say and follow it, you're doing them (and yourself) a disservice.
Its Physics man
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Battery_Degradation_for_Cell_Life_Assessment

I've never claimed batteries don't decay over time, just that the rate of decay is small enough you shouldn't worry about it. most people use their phone for only 2 ~ 3 years so it's a non issue.

Don't really see the point you're making, everyone knows batteries wear, and nobody's been denying that...

The "500 cycles" estimate is quite likely rather conservative btw. It's not as if smartphones stop working after two years, or even four.

Btw my 4 years old vaio tap 11 still have 100% designed capacity (it's already dropped from the original capacity a wee bit tho, it was a wee higher than the designed capacity)

I almost always enabled the 80 percent limiter.

On xda-developers.com you can download battery charge limit.

It can automatically stops charging. If you need manually stops charging "disable usb charging" on playstore can do it.

Unfortunately these apps needs root access

Last edited by a moderator:
Ageing depends on number of charge/discharge cycles, depth of discharge, extension of charge, temperatures, speed of charge and a few others. Add manufacturing tolerances.

It is not a one dimensional problem, and it is dealt with or not in different way by manufacturers and users alike.

Edit: It is worth noting that manufacturers are penalized by reviewers for practises that prolong battery life, such as not overcharging and deep discharging (giving the impression of worse battery life), and not charging at very high rates which typically also gives lower life time both through chemical mechanisms and heat (but of course gives faster charging).

Battery longevity does not lend itself to easy testing, so all respect to manufacturers that still act in the best interest of their customers.

Last edited:
Ageing depends on number of charge/discharge cycles, depth of discharge, extension of charge, temperatures, speed of charge and a few others. Add manufacturing tolerances.

It is not a one dimensional problem, and it is dealt with or not in different way by manufacturers and users alike.

Edit: It is worth noting that manufacturers are penalized by reviewers for practises that prolong battery life, such as not overcharging and deep discharging (giving the impression of worse battery life), and not charging at very high rates which typically also gives lower life time both through chemical mechanisms and heat (but of course gives faster charging).

Battery longevity does not lend itself to easy testing, so all respect to manufacturers that still act in the best interest of their customers.

I wish more manufacturers add a buildin feature to limit charging like Sony vaio laptop.

My laptop is 4 hears oooold and the battery is practically as good as new

Back