Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

4K gaming still isn’t all that impressive.
Last year, the PS4 Pro failed to set our eyeballs on fire with its promise of higher-resolution HDR gaming. This year, Microsoft’s overhyped Xbox One X showed up with four stables of additional horsepower and, yet again, failed to blow us away. Sure, a 4K HDR TV looks better than a 1080p TV. But it’s nothing like the leap from standard definition to HD screens 10 years ago. Meanwhile the Nintendo Switch had one of the best years a console’s ever had, all while running games at 720p in handheld mode and occasionally sub-1080p docked. For all the noisy hype leading up to their release, both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X already feel much like 4K TVs themselves: just something to get when the good-enough thing you already have breaks and/or it’s on sale. Whee.

https://kotaku.com/the-biggest-video-game-disappointments-of-2017-1821497305

Interesting perspective.

I disagree and think he's completely wrong. Assassins' Creed Origins in 4K with HDR blows away most of what I've seen and to many degrees imo look next gen compared to what's out there today on the base systems.

There is an issue with games not being designed to take full advantage of these mid gen refreshes, but there is no way it's not a leap. It's clearly a leap, but most people aren't paying attention to the minutia detail. They are absorbing it subconsciously though, after a month with mid gen consoles at 4K + HDR, asking someone to go back to a base system and feel they didn't lose something is a crock of shit imo.

You don't need 'side by side' to see the difference here. It's pretty clear.

So about as niche as high end PC gaming.

High end PC gaming is niche because of the price. But performance and graphics are easier to realize on a PC. You typically sit close to a high res monitor. You can also benefit from >60Hz too.

You don't need 'side by side' to see the difference here. It's pretty clear.

Well according to DF you need side by side and freeze and zoom most of the time. HDR aside, TV size and viewing distance makes a huge difference in what one can see.

High end PC gaming is niche because of the price. But performance and graphics are easier to realize on a PC. You typically sit close to a high res monitor. You can also benefit from >60Hz too.

Well according to DF you need side by side and freeze and zoom most of the time. HDR aside, TV size and viewing distance makes a huge difference in what one can see.
i don't need side by side and freeze and zoom to see the difference between 4K and 1080p. It's not hard to see pixels at all. Granted I'm using a 65" 4K TV and sitting relatively about 6.5ft-7ft away, but still, it's pretty damn obvious, 1080p does not contain the crispness of 4K. The caveat here is that certain games do highlight the differences better than others though.
Some games are intentionally blurred everywhere so its difficult to see, AF also plays a factor here. But games that are designed to be sharp everywhere, the difference is immediately noticeable.

Seeing a difference was not really the issue they said "Sure, a 4K HDR TV looks better than a 1080p TV. But it’s nothing like the leap from standard definition to HD screens 10 years ago." The bottom line is seeing smaller and smaller pixels gets really hard unless the screen is getting larger and larger, but people are limited on screen size by space and price.

Seeing a difference was not really the issue they said "Sure, a 4K HDR TV looks better than a 1080p TV. But it’s nothing like the leap from standard definition to HD screens 10 years ago." The bottom line is seeing smaller and smaller pixels gets really hard unless the screen is getting larger and larger, but people are limited on screen size by space and price.

Yep. I still think 4K is basically as high as it needs to be, considering how most people aren’t suddenly going to fit screens larger than 65” in their houses. Maybe now the resolution race can really end and devs can finally focus on improving everything else, without worrying about pushing more and more pixels.

The argument is similar though, granted the leaps aren't as big in peoples's eyes, but that's because they went from 480p to 1080p. which is a little more than 2x in both directions. But most people in the beginning felt 720p or HD resolution was not much because most of the content on 1080p at the time was not mastered correctly for 1080p. Only PC monitors could really make the case, where being so close to the screen made a massive difference and refresh rates where in the 60Hz - 75Hz range.

The move to 4K is 2x again, but people can't see the difference because 1080p was a pretty great place to be. Almost everything we do, work, play, movies, are mastered in 1080p. And so people have become comfortable with it, likewise comfortable with 24~30fps.

An increase to 60fps and 4K creates a clarity that is unmatched. And people will see this as we move to next gen (we'll see a lot of 30fps this gen) I'm sure of it.

As others have said, it's not just the resolution increase that needs to be examined but the full feature set that the mid-gen console(s) afford developers to use such as higher quality textures, texture filtering, anti-aliasing, resolution, and smoother frame-rates. Finally, throw in HDR for icing on top if you're comparing to base Xbox One.

wait, what, when did DF say this?

or is that your interpretation of what they do, and why they do it the way they do?

in that case you also believe they said that you can't see the difference between SD and HD when they do their retro analysis/remakes and also freeze frames and zoom in, side by side comparisons.

I agree 100% with the 4K thing. I'm sitting here in front of an iMac 5K and that resolution is amazing from 2ft away. It is literally in your face. 4K at 8-10 ft is far less game changing as I've posted before.

I disagree and think he's completely wrong. Assassins' Creed Origins in 4K with HDR blows away most of what I've seen and to many degrees imo look next gen compared to what's out there today on the base systems.

But you realise that you're an insignificant outlier, being someone who has a deep appreciation of graphics? Kotaku wrote an article for the masses. They're opinion is about whether or not 4K has revolutionised gaming for the masses. It hasn't. 4K means an image that is every so slightly sharper at the distance most people sit from their TVs with ever so fewer artefacts that themselves are so tiny, it takes sites like DigitalFoundry to spend days and days analysing footage to write articles to point them out, with 50x50 segments blow up so you can actually see the differences.

Are the more powerful consoles nice? Are current games in 4K impressive? I don't see what's in it for the mass market. I'd postulate that most gamers are gamers first. They care about the game, graphics are much lower on their list of priorities, particularly for what can, in many cases, being marginal improvements and where the cost to get them is several full-priced games.

I agree 100% with the 4K thing. I'm sitting here in front of an iMac 5K and that resolution is amazing from 2ft away. It is literally in your face. 4K at 8-10 ft is far less game changing as I've posted before.

But you realise that you're an insignificant outlier, being someone who has a deep appreciation of graphics? Kotaku wrote an article for the masses. They're opinion is about whether or not 4K has revolutionised gaming for the masses. It hasn't. 4K means an image that is every so slightly sharper at the distance most people sit from their TVs with ever so fewer artefacts that themselves are so tiny, it takes sites like DigitalFoundry to spend days and days analysing footage to write articles to point them out, with 50x50 segments blow up so you can actually see the differences.

Are the more powerful consoles nice? Are current games in 4K impressive? I don't see what's in it for the mass market. I'd postulate that most gamers are gamers first. They care about the game, graphics are much lower on their list of priorities, particularly for what can, in many cases, being marginal improvements and where the cost to get them is several full-priced games.
I think most people within my group of Xbox, when switching over to 4K with 1X enhanced games noticed an immediate uptick in quality. And they are far from any graphics enthusiasts. It’s just a clearer picture with significantly more detail (AF + textures) and they also caught some additional graphical enhancements that they haven’t seen. Alongside HDR the difference is massive over he the base console for many of these guys... and then over time they get used to it.

I agree with the sentiment that gamers want to game first. But that doesn’t make mid gen refresh a disappointment. They serve their purpose and serve it well. Clearer graphics and better performance, takes advantage of their TV hardware where the base systems could not. It offers a glimpse to the next generation of gaming, perhaps doesn’t offer all of it, sure, but it does give us quite an idea of where we are headed.

It can only get better over the next 3 years imo.

But you are switching from sub 1080p machine.
Not debating that :). Kotaku said mid gen was a disappointment. I think they are wrong.

Despite that, switching from my 1070PC to 4K HDR proper instead of DSR from 4K to 1080p was a massive upgrade imo.

Disappointment is always measured against ones expectations. It's completely subjective! Did you try 1080p HDR before 4K HDR? 1080p HDR might take a lot of the upgrade impact out of the equation as that sounds like the more impactful of the qualities.
Yea Witcher 3 performance mode vs 4K mode. But it’s definitely noticeable to me when the game is above and way above 1080p. Not that I can’t adjust, but it’s hard giving up the clarity. Not that I don’t love frames :). But I need locked 60.

It’s never just one thing. It’s a concert of changes working together to form a better picture. AF and texture quality probably play a huge role here as well.

I get that you appreciate the improvement in res, but how much is that better than the HDR? That is, using figures for illustration, if someone feels 4K HDR is 100% better than 1080p SDR (worth the upgrade), is 4K HDR 50% better than 1080p HDR, or 25%, or 75%? There are two improvements brought from 4K HDR over the original consoles, but one of those is mitigated, which is where the improvement could be seen as a bit 'meh' from the mid-gen consoles.

Having neither seen HDR nor 4K, I've no personal view. ;)

There is also improvements in Textures, Texture Filtering, AntiAliasing, game Loading Speed (by 40 to 60%), Image Quality in AO and other small rendering items, and Smoother Framerates that is brought to the table by the One X. Its not just raw Resolution. All of those make for a substantial and non disappointing upgrade. To say otherwise is a lie.

Back