Movie Reviews 2.0

Not sure. Wondering whether Disney would ever give the greenlight to projects such as Deadpool or Logan. Heck, even the X-Men movies have been way more sinister in tone than Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Not sure. Wondering whether Disney would ever give the greenlight to projects such as Deadpool or Logan. Heck, even the X-Men movies have been way more sinister in tone than Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Everyone involved is predicting that Disney will continue with a darker/rated R line of movies. It would be insane to lose Deadpool. They're already 'leaking' info that Hugh Jackman could come back, probably to try and lure him back in the franchise, since he's been pretty clear that he's done with Wolverine. They also need to diversify a little, so a change would be welcome.

Since people are talking about Disney then I recommend "Never Cry Wolf", a Disney production from 1983 that is better than most other Disney productions that I've watched. It's based on a book by Farley Mowat.

From the book/movie:

"I think over again my small adventures,
My fears,
Those small ones that seemed so big,
For all the vital things
I had to get and to reach.
And yet there is only one great thing,
The only thing,
To live to see the great day that dawns
And the light that fills the world."

- Old Inuit Song

Why did they sign away the rights in the first place, seemingly in perpetuity?

Spiderman has been with Sony for ages now - long enough to make six friggin movies and still no end in sight. Isn't the standard thing to make a deal for a set number of years/movies and then rights revert back again?
I'm sure if you search this thread you'll find my similar / same answer some time back.

The rights are all tied up in individual contracts but the general gist is that they have clauses about time unused and/or box-office success. Its exactly this reason why there have been so many iterations of Spider-Man as Sony didn't want it to lapse back (though at least they had the sense to strike a partnership deal on the last one); likewise with the relatively recent, ill-fated, reboot of FF4. In recent years the rights to Dardevil, Elecktra, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade and Man-Thing have revered back to Marvel after being licensed out to studios - hence a lot of these already being used in Marvel/Netflix/ABC en devours.

Because he has basically defined the art of acting via performance capture. He's the benchmark.

However, you can see him normally in Age of Ultron and Black Panther next year.

Speaking of Star Wars, Disney never released a Collector's Edition of Rogue One, did they? Like with Force Awakens I mean, with the "hologram" on the front and stuff. I was told there was a steelbook release when the movie was first launched on disc, but that's not the same. I don't like steelbooks, they don't match my collection...

Not surprised that someone else here also has a sense of OCD on collections matching, even if it is very minor.

With part II of iiis I am always inclined to just wait and watch it when the next one is out in cinemas ...

I kind of enjoyed Bright as an action popcorn flick. As far as story goes, I'm more intrigued by the lore of what happened way before hand.

I don't think I'd be thrilled to have paid money to see it (the same goes for SW:TLJ), but as part of a subscription service Bright was good.

I'll go to see SW after new year but I did see Dunkirk the other day and I really liked it.

Quite different from the usual war movie but it worked well. Loved the spitfire scenes. Wonder how much of that was CG and how much real airplanes.

The French guy at work apparently didn't like it very much because "not enough French" or something like that :').

Quite different from the usual war movie but it worked well. Loved the spitfire scenes. Wonder how much of that was CG and how much real airplanes.
The sound work in Dunkirk was some of the best I've heard, especially the spitfire scenes.

Watched Bright on Netflix yesterday. Thought it was pretty fun but it kinda felt like it should have been three movies or a series to really explore all the various races and background stories.

Trying to watch Kong: Skull Island, and having a really hard time with it. People bag on Jackson's take, but I (generally) liked it quite a bit except for a few overly long scenes and the ill-conceived dino chase on the stairs (which you learn in the special features wasn't planned out/storyboarded in advance, which you can totally tell while watching the movie, because it's just dumb and sucks the whole way through.) Anyway, Jackson's movie, you have Jack Black's character; he's an amoral, opportunistic grifter; he isn't roguish or likable, but he's realistic and driven in a way which John Goodman's character just isn't. Goodman's character is just this dumb, naive galoot whom I've no idea how you're supposed to take seriously in a movie which isn't a comedy. And Loki with a scraggly beard just doesn't work...like, at all. Jesus. I stopped watching almost as soon as he showed up.

Also: finished Alien: Covenant a couple days ago, and it was pretty dumb and boring. It started well, but then it veered off into characters-making-inexplicably-bad-decision-in-order-to-fit-stupid-plot territory. Furthermore, as soon as I saw Walther on screen, I pretty much understood where the movie would ultimately end up. It is the definitive spoiler, really.

Finally, the ending is basically just some weird reverse deus ex machina type dealie, which felt cheap, and again, dumb, because you have Ripley (whom was the only character I really liked in the whole movie) beating the alien, only to have Bishop betray her, and you never got to see what happened to Other, Good Bishop. If you did, the ending wouldn't work (not that it works even as it is I'd say), just as a lot of things in the movie wouldn't have worked if characters just behaved a little smarter, with more self-preservation.

Sheesh, why are movies so damn BAD these days? Is it awesome SFX ruining everything else, or have simply all the good ideas been used up already? *shrug*

I watched The Great Wall the other day and I was really surprised that it didn't have any plot holes. Pretty crappy movie otherwise though....

Ah, the Great Wall. How could something with such a bonkers premise end up so excruciatingly dull.

By the way, saw the Pacific Rim 2 trailer in the theater yesterday. I thought the CGI was shockingly poor compared to the first film.

Back