Amazon Prime is even shittier than Netflix

Today I thought lets sign up for Amazon Prime. The world has never seen a bigger pile of shit. You'd think that a company that makes billions of dollars a year could afford to higher one or two programmers/designers that aren't complete fucking idiots but I guess not.

I'm sure everybody has used Netflix once or twice. That app isn't perfect, the interface is designed by a moron making it hard to find what you want and efficiently managing the shows you are watching/want to follow is impossible. But if you can live with that it works and even an idiot can watch a movie.

Now enter Amazon Prime. You couldn't make an app as utterly shit as this if you tried. It didn't take 5 minutes for the creatures that created this steaming pile of diarrhea to become #1 on my shit list.

So just how fucking stupid is this app?

1. You can't change the interface language. Yep, its that fucking stupid.
2. Everything has to load. Whatever you pick it has to load. This is on a Shield TV so specs aren't the problem.
3. No subtitle options. Are you fucking kidding me? Example: I want to watch the grand tour. I can select English, no options for subtitles. Okay... start playing the fucking thing and I get Japanese subs that I can't turn off.

It pretty much fails at every thing a media player app (or whatever you want to identify this as) has to do. Are the idiots that worked on this even capable of writing their own fucking names? Because I highly fucking doubt it.

Do you know if the Amazon Prime Video App on the Shield TV is officially made by Amazon? If so how far behind it is other platforms like Xbox or PlayStation?

I didn't run across forces foreign language subtitles on The Grand Tour episodes with the Xbox or even Tivo app that hasn't been updated in ages.

No idea as I don't have those devices. I got a firetv stick laying around that I might give a try. It looks like the default interface on the firetv though.

Still doesn't change the utter retardedness of the app. The shield TV isn't sold in Japan (got mine from Amazon international) yet the Amazon app defaults to Japanese, even ignoring system locale.

What kind of piss poor app does that? It's either made by Nvidia or Amazon so you'd think they'd be able to come up with something that passes at least some minimum level of quality. This is just shit.

So just how fucking stupid is this app?
HBO's app is just as stupid, or at least the flavor of app we get in Scandinavia is (I think it's the same as everywhere else tho, tbh.)

Hard to navigate, hard to continue where you left off, sub choices lacking - I get to pick Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish. For shows that are native English... If I understand the language I fucking detest having subs in a different language than what is spoken. It's just confusing and annoying.

At least Netflix' app keeps track of which shows I've been watching recently, HBO's doesn't do even that, and when I manually look up the show I want to continue it defaults to season 1 episode 1 EVERY GODDAMN TIME, no matter if I was in mid-fourth season or whatever when I left off. If you pick a show from the the "new episode" carousel, it boots you right to...yup, you guessed it, SEASON 1 EPISODE 1. How unfucking believable is that really?! How about sending me to the new episode you stupid ninny?! :p And to top off all of the badnessness, you can only rewind/fast forward in chunks of 45 seconds... LOL WUT!

HBO's app gotta be the worst ever since forever. At least they updated the PS4 version, it was so horrifically bad and user unfriendly no words can describe. It was like they commissioned Sauron to write the app and all they told him of what they wanted was, "Make it really really bad!" :LOL:

I'm sure everybody has used Netflix once or twice.

Just to be annoying, I have to mention that I never used it :p And never will, at least until there is streaming services that doesn't use technology that consumes 4-5 more processing power than a normal video player. (After all, energy is very expensive where I live, and I don't like to reward "bad computer science" ). Plus the content is fairly weak overall here.

nd when I manually look up the show I want to continue it defaults to season 1 episode 1 EVERY GODDAMN TIME, no matter if I was in mid-fourth season or whatever when I left off. If you pick a show from the the "new episode" carousel, it boots you right to...yup, you guessed it, SEASON 1 EPISODE 1.
sounds like the windows 10 start menu, it always starts from the top (where in reality if it was user friendly, it should display at the previous place) its a minor thing, as it take half a second to scroll down to where I was lastbut its annoying

I think netflix is vastly superior to competing streaming solutions.
Great video quality, 4k & Dolby Atmos & Dolby vision on some content. Good choice of audio languages. There are *always* subtitles.
No jitter, no hitches during playback.
I've tried Amazon and it was bad, but not the worse, the UI is hell & slow, content is hard to find, you have "American Gods" and "American Gods in 4K" like, why two separate categories ? Subtitles are second zone and often nowhere to be found.
Hulu is bad too, content is glitchy, ads everywhere and quality is bad
OCS is bad, disconnections, bad playback. Trying to watch Game of Thrones on the first evening after US was an exercise in frustation.
Nah, the netflix platform is spotless from my point of view. Search UI could be a little bit better, I don't really like the automatic playback on selection.
On the other hand their original content is really getting better these days.

I don't really like the automatic playback on selection.
Other than the poor selection of older material in particular (they nuked Charmed off their roster earlier this year - grrr), this is my biggest gripe with netflix; that it just won't shut up. I don't want to watch trailers of anything and everything which falls within the on-screen selection reticle... :p Perhaps my only gripe really, because netflix really is the benchmark when it comes to streaming. A few times I have seen bad encoding quality, especially in darker scenes, but it's not been a huge bother. HBO has had much worse encoding overall.

Yeah although Netflix should really always show what you have been watching first (which for some reason it doesn’t always) and I would prefer text entry with PS4 OS keyboard instead, other than that it is such a vastly better experience than anything else it is hard to complain.

Having suffered through a trial month of "Sky Go", everything else is now basically sunshine and rainbows. Sky is a German subscription service which hard crashed the PS4 when I opened it for the first time. A subscription service with streaming so bad all the battle scenes in GoT season 7 looked like 360p youtube clips from a decade ago. Also a subscription service with first dibs on GoT unfortunately. it's quite expensive too.
Netflix could be a little more upfront when it comes to options, but at least it's fast, reliable, and dare I say, even somewhat elegant.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean here.

Running videos through a web browser, whether using flash or html 5 generally uses much more processing power than downloading a video and running it in a random video player. I do not know how is with netflix app, so the difference might not be as big. Though, I am considering the processing is all done on the cpu.

Running videos through a web browser, whether using flash or html 5 generally uses much more processing power than downloading a video and running it in a random video player. I do not know how is with netflix app, so the difference might not be as big. Though, I am considering the processing is all done on the cpu.

Huh ? It's nonsense, why do you think the browser cannot use gpu hw decoders ? I've even seriously considered using chrome as my default video player, it does almost everything

Purely based on quality Amazon kicks Netflix's arse. Bit rates are far higher. I think most 1080p videos have almost the same bit rates as 4k movies on Netflix's.

If it's the UI that ailes you. We have two 4k TVs. The UI on the bravia is much better than the samsung one.

No problem selecting subtitles on either. Guess the ops problem is more to do with the shield app more than Amazon itself.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Completely silly question, but what's next for video encoding/decoding? Is there H.266? Or are there further subprofiles of H.265 still left to be implemented?

Purely based on quality Amazon kicks Netflix's arse. Bit rates are far higher. I think most 1080p videos have almost the same bit rates as 4k movies on Netflix's

Netflix 1080p hd is not the sharpest, I agree, but I'm really satisfied with their 4k + dolby vision, which really look awesome. Stranger Things 2 is a treat to watch, especially the upside down sequences.
Amazon has very few content with hdr enabled. Hopefully more is coming

If it's the UI that ailes you. We have two 4k TVs. The UI on the bravia is much better than the samsung one.
No problem selecting subtitles on either. Guess the ops problem is more to do with the shield app more than Amazon itself.

I was annoyed by that. Yesterday I wanted to watch American Psycho and there were only german subtitles. I just tried it again now and discovered you can actually change subtitles & audio language *before* launching the movie.
The app i'm using cannot set audio or sub language during playback, but you can change the font style & colors...

Huh ? It's nonsense, why do you think the browser cannot use gpu hw decoders ? I've even seriously considered using chrome as my default video player, it does almost everything

I did not say that, I said
Though, I am considering the processing is all done on the cpu.
which means all the processing (browser processing vs stand alone video player processing) using cpu only.

I did not say that, I said
which means all the processing (browser processing vs stand alone video player processing) using cpu only.

Sorry, I don't understand
Why do you think the processing is different between a browser & a random video player.
I've just tried a random youtube 4k video & netflix 4k and cpu is usage is 5% in both cases under chrome
The browser is just pushing bytes to the gpu which handle the rest.
And even if you force cpu decoding, it's probably using the same code, ffmpeg, in your browser & your random media player.

Back