Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand one of my GPUs have died spontaneously, while PC was in sleep mode no less. I wake it up today, it seems to come on, LEDs light up, fans start spinning but monitor is dark. I think that somehow monitor got confused and switched to a different input so I start pushing buttons. I then unplug all the other inputs, nothing works.
Maybe the GPU having issues was causing your problems with the start menu?

Maybe the GPU having issues was causing your problems with the start menu?
I can't see how that would be the case. Everything else worked except that, I was playing games on it and stuff, and besides, start menu/metro apps going AWOL is a known bug with win10 anyhow.

It apparently has to do with the icon database (because of course you need a fucking database for something as simple as a start menu) becoming corrupted - spontaneously apparently; most likely this is where the actual bug is located btw, and the rest is just bad software design, making the start menu and metro apps bork themselves if the DB is corrupted.

Or so I assume anyway... :p

Most things related to operating system operation are custom databases of some kind. You need an indexable relational structure for efficient reading and updating of data. Do you expect the configuration of what's in your start menu to be stored line by line in a text file?

The old start menu was just a series of folders and files on disk. Worked fucking fine for 20 years. Didn't need no fancy schmancy databases that bust themselves up for no reason or make it needlessly cumbersome to add things to your startup folder. You just browsed to the startup folder and plopped whatever shortcut you needed there and done.

The old start menu was just a series of folders and files on disk. Worked fucking fine for 20 years. Didn't need no fancy schmancy databases that bust themselves up for no reason or make it needlessly cumbersome to add things to your startup folder. You just browsed to the startup folder and plopped whatever shortcut you needed there and done.

Which also happened to be cached in a database.

Regards,
SB

Which also happened to be cached in a database.
CACHED perhaps, but at least the start menu wasn't the database. Now today after re-installing my second GPU my start menu is back to not working again, so it seems whatever issue I'm having with my start menu is somehow either related to AMD catalyst driver, or simply having two GPUs in the system. Interesting, since I had one of these very same GPUs in my previous PC, where the start menu would also wonk out every now and then.

Sonuva...!

*EDIT:
Yeah, it's definitely crossfire related this time at least; I turned XF off and rebooted, and start menu was back to working properly again. That's not good, as I have two new video cards inbound in a day or two!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back