Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the PS4 Pro is really 20% of sales I can’t see them NOT doing it.

I mean, that was one data point, at one moment in time. Goodness knows whether Sony is still selling 20% of all PS4s as Pros.

I'm gonna say I highly doubt that, especially with how many PS4s Sony shifted over BF and the holidays at a discounted price.

I think there will be pro consoles, strictly for money. They can sell it as a premium experience for a higher margin. It doesn't have to sell in huge volume. It just taps max dollars out of the people that are willing to pay.

This assumes the Pro launched with a higher margin than the original PS4. It may well have done, but I'm not sure how much higher the margins were and how does the additional margin offset the cost of engineering the Pro.

I guess we'll see if a PS5 Pro appears 3yrs into the next generation, then we can conclude that the original PS4 Pro experiment was a success.

It's possibly similar BOM seeing as how the APU is slightly smaller, partially offsetting the cost of the 16nmFF node. The other major cost is the GDDR5, which while faster, may have been of a similar price point (if not better) as the 2013 supply of the 5.5GHz bin (top end being 7Ghz vs 8Ghz).

I mean, that was one data point, at one moment in time. Goodness knows whether Sony is still selling 20% of all PS4s as Pros.

I'm gonna say I highly doubt that, especially with how many PS4s Sony shifted over BF and the holidays at a discounted price.

No, someone around here more recently (a week ago perhaps) did an estimate on the numbers and a persistent 20% didn’t seem unrealistic. I was shocked but it looks like it might be accurate.

It's possibly similar BOM seeing as how the APU is slightly smaller, partially offsetting the cost of the 16nmFF node. The other major cost is the GDDR5, which while faster, may have been of a similar price point (if not better) as the 2013 supply of the 5.5GHz bin (top end being 7Ghz vs 8Ghz).

Wasn't the PS4 originally 6 gHz x 8, but then dropped to 5.5 gHz ( x 16) because clamshell requires lower frequency from the same memory due to noise / cross talk / magical invasion?

You have to consider the circumstances in which the mid gens consoles were released. We are in transition from 1080p to 4K. 9th gen consoles should be able to hit 4K for the most part and I don't see 8K TV's being mainstream for the next 10 years. A mid gen that just plays 4K but better will not be a great selling point. A lot of people expect these console makers release new hardware every 5 years, 7 years, whatever just because of history. "Where's mah new console? It was 5 years before and you have to follow your trend." But they actually do it if it makes sense from a competitive, technology and profit perspective. Sometimes it's 5, sometimes it's 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back