LED bling? Are you immune or what are your thoughts...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
LEDs and lighting of various flavors have been part of the PC scene for many years now. Started with CCFLs way back in the day actually.

Today we have much more refined stuff, like these DIMMs for example:
http://www.geil.com.tw/products/list/id/173

Es ist Geil... :LOL: (Most unfortunate product/company name since the Honda Fitta, but this is a different discussion perhaps, hehe...)

Anyway, LEDs, do you enjoy it? I really rather like it myself. Within reason of course, but I'm actually looking for some magnetic RGB LED strips to hook up to my mobo and new GPUs. However it's hard to find nice ones that have extension leads for each strip...

The name fits the target demographic well.

Regarding LEDs and lighting I personally see no point in them, they are just added cost for something I will never appreciate or look at hidden away inside a nondescript case.

LEDs and lighting of various flavors have been part of the PC scene for many years now. Started with CCFLs way back in the day actually.

Today we have much more refined stuff, like these DIMMs for example:
http://www.geil.com.tw/products/list/id/173

Es ist Geil... :LOL: (Most unfortunate product/company name since the Honda Fitta, but this is a different discussion perhaps, hehe...)

Anyway, LEDs, do you enjoy it? I really rather like it myself. Within reason of course, but I'm actually looking for some magnetic RGB LED strips to hook up to my mobo and new GPUs. However it's hard to find nice ones that have extension leads for each strip...

If it's part of PC tower case that I want, then I'm fine with it. Not a deal breaker. Hopefully, its either a red or blue, anything outside of those colors (i.e. yellow, purple, pink, green, etc.), I'll just snip or disable them.

My mousemat
eEcAGg2.jpg

Question answered

I've never really understood LED bling much in a PC. I don't really have visitors much nor would my friends really care that much if my PC was flashing gaudy colors. My PC is always tucked away under the desk out of view so it's not as though I'd be looking at it ever anyway and even if it was on top of the desk in view all the time, the colors and cycling would likely end up annoying me or I'd just get bored of it quickly anyway.

I guess it's like car bling where you're looking to impress those around you with it? But you can't take it anyway for people to see though? I really don't understand it.

I really don't understand it.
I suppose it's like with...pugs, or something. I really don't understand those either, to me they're just stupid tiny malformed mutants, but some people just adore those idiotic inbred yappy little shit-making machines. I'll never know why, I'm sure.

I really enjoy some nice colors cycling on my gear. Static colored LEDs is fine too: if I could have a device A with just a power LED, and a functionally equivalent device B with some additional status lights, I'd go with B every time. Unless it was hugely larger, and/or hideously ugly that is, but then I'd still feel vaguely dissatisfied I'm missing out on the LEDs by having to choose A! :LOL:

For example, I'm using an Apple Time Capsule as a router/wifi hotspot, despite there being a lot of much more modern wifi routers available these days with much higher wifi performance as well, but just about all of those routers are really really ugly, a lump of plastic the size of a lunch cafeteria tray with a forest of antennas sticking up out of them. The additional LEDs just aren't worth THAT much! ;)

I always had plain case and components, but recently I've built couple gaming Pc's for my friends and some of them requested RGB LEDs. Looks nice when done tactfully. I'v since bought 2 RGB magnetic strips for myself and I'm planning on using them in my future case. I haven't decided yet what case that will be, but it has to be at least MediumATX+ or bigger. RGB will get me ambient lighting in my room and I might play a bit with setting colour depending on temperature or system load.

Can't say that led lighting is to my taste. I'm more keen on a discreet, compact quite case I can hide out of the way. My mouse has an led on the top. That's just about bearable.

I ripped opened my T16000 joystick as soon as I got it and cut the led wires.

Each to their own though! :)

Btw usable LED like on PS4 is nice to have. Especially because it's also dim enough.

But pc led usually are super bright to the point of annoying

I have a hard time getting to sleep with bright/flashing lights -> try to avoid but I'll put up with some LEDs to save a few $s.

Have gone to the lengths of cutting through glue gun gunk to break connection on some particularly garish fans I had.
Over-bright LEDs like monitor power button that like to flash when PC is off/sleeping tend to get a few layers of masking tape over them which functions as a dimmer.

Last edited:
I quite like the blinged up cases, but don't think I'd spend much money on it myself. Back-lit keyboard and matching mouse I quite like.

The one application of rig lighting I do like though, is for a bit of ambient light when playing in the dark. I have a window in my chassis and my chassis on the desk in the belief that if all the water came out I would be able to notice it quicker :D

As a result I have installed LED fans (just white Corsair SP's) which illuminated the chassis and throw some light onto the desktop. One of my VGA cards and the SLi bridge also light up but I wouldn't be bothered if they didn't

.DSC02452_small.JPG

I finally got around to installing ASUS Aura for LED control, and jesus, but is this software shite or what. Bad user interface with opaque, inconsistent functionality, and really poor control over what the program is actually supposed to do. Most effects only allow pulsing a single color, rather than a selection of colors - or even random tones.

And on top of everything else, it can't produce the color white. It actually seems impossible, from what I can tell. Unbelievable! :p In fact, any hue produced by combining more than two base colors are off limits.

It's also a CPU resource hog... It hardly does anything, but still consumes up to 3% processor power.

Back