AMD Vega Hardware Reviews

It never ceases to surprise me what kind of "houses" with no insulation to speak of are acceptable and even standard in many parts of the world. If it's cold inside when there's -30-40C outside, there's something wrong with your house. If it's cold inside when it gets barely below zero you should check if you in fact have walls and such instead of just imaginary house.
I remember Schwarzenegger declaring a state emergency once because max temperatures dropped to below freezing one day. Heavy stuff! I couldn’t even wear a t-shirt to work!

The foundation of my house would probably crack with -30C temps...

It never ceases to surprise me what kind of "houses" with no insulation to speak of are acceptable and even standard in many parts of the world. If it's cold inside when there's -30-40C outside, there's something wrong with your house. If it's cold inside when it gets barely below zero you should check if you in fact have walls and such instead of just imaginary house.

I live in UK 11 years now, and I yet to live in a house which isn't cold when temperatures drop below 0C. My current house I live in has central heating constantly on in the evenings, but with temperature outside close to 0C I cannot heat it up internally to more than 21C (130 square meters and 30kW gas central heating)! This is part of bigger block of flats, so I can't insulate it for myself even though I own my flat. Next house I buy will be standalone!

Sorry for OT, but this was on my mind since moving to UK, 1st world country with 3rd world houses :D

I live in UK 11 years now, and I yet to live in a house which isn't cold when temperatures drop below 0C. My current house I live in has central heating constantly on in the evenings, but with temperature outside close to 0C I cannot heat it up internally to more than 21C (130 square meters and 30kW gas central heating)! This is part of bigger block of flats, so I can't insulate it for myself even though I own my flat. Next house I buy will be standalone!

Sorry for OT, but this was on my mind since moving to UK, 1st world country with 3rd world houses :D
Okay, I'm about to purchase a Vega Frontier Edition. I do a ton of video editing, some 3D mechanical design work and some After Effects work. I casually game at 1080P, and I'll upgrade to a 21:9 ultra wide go later this spring.

Am I crazy? Should I wait? I'm worried about the bitcoin IPO driving crazy prices absolutely insane, so figure I better get on it as fast as possible.

I keep my furnace on 80 F during the evening and 70 F during the night. Even when it's 10 F outside, the furnace has no problem keeping up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yup [emoji267][emoji267][emoji267][emoji267]
Haha, then Vega is ideal for you! :D

My vegas got stuck overnight literally less than 20km south of where I live, the way the african swallow flies; I don't know where exactly the mail transfer hub is located, so rough but accurate enough estimate. Meh!

Okay, I'm about to purchase a Vega Frontier Edition. I do a ton of video editing, some 3D mechanical design work and some After Effects work. I casually game at 1080P, and I'll upgrade to a 21:9 ultra wide go later this spring.
You may want to check on the state of Vega FE first:

Basically, Linus couldn't get AMD to agree on something Vega FE is good for, or even excels at. Drivers are buggy with apps (like Blender) and the driver itself crashing left and right, Also updates are slow to a crawl. Performance is considerably slower than a TitanXp in most apps and isn't convincingly faster than a regular Vega 64. Gaming is weaker than a Vega 64 as well. I guess you are better off getting a WX9100 or a TitanXp if gaming is important for you. Maybe even a Vega 64 if you are price sensitive and or planning a mining activity.

Doesn't pro vegas allow both pro and gaming drivers to be installed at the same time, switchable (more or less maybe) on the fly? Pretty sure I read something like that somewhere...

FE has gaming drivers option yes. But amd release special packages for that. For exemple, you have 17.9.1 and 17.12.1 available in this mode. You can't dl rx drivers and just switch to them (or like I said earlier, you can just uninstall the pro driver if you don't need them, and just go classic Vega)

FE has gaming drivers option yes. But amd release special packages for that. For exemple, you have 17.9.1 and 17.12.1 available in this mode. You can't dl rx drivers and just switch to them (or like I said earlier, you can just uninstall the pro driver if you don't need them, and just go classic Vega)

Funny stuff, when in"gaming drivers" mode, and since now regular drivers supporte FE, you can in fact install new RX driver, and still benefit from driver options (don't ask why I have 2 "17.12.1" gaming drivers, it's still buggy...). So, I've 17.12.2 gaming drivers, and still can't switch back to 17.12.1 pro now...

driveroptionsFE.jpg

Ah, since I watercooled mine, and increased the power limit, that's why I don't see lower performances I guess....
Yup.

Fun fact:
- Many reviewers praised the FE's standard cooler at launch and then the same people said the RX Vega cooler was bad, when it's exact same vapor chamber heatsink with the exact same fan.

In practice, the FE is basically a RX Vega 64 with 8-Hi HBM2 stacks and a driver that limits it to Power Saving profile + 40% fan duty cycle.

I saw the video. I even left several pissed off comments about how Vega sucks. But that was not about it's performances relative to a 1080, but about features not working and absolutely no response from AMD! If I can get a Vega FE for a tad more than the Vega RX 64, it should be worth it. In addition to the longer support from semi-pro drivers, I should be good right? [emoji15]

There is no difference from a Vega FE to a WX9100. They both use a Vega GPU, it's just a few features are enabled at the driver level. Wx9100 had less performance than Vega FE due to lower clock speed.

Yup.

Fun fact:
- Many reviewers praised the FE's standard cooler at launch and then the same people said the RX Vega cooler was bad, when it's exact same vapor chamber heatsink with the exact same fan.

In practice, the FE is basically a RX Vega 64 with 8-Hi HBM2 stacks and a driver that limits it to Power Saving profile + 40% fan duty cycle.
Agreed. But I need something for Adobe Premiere Pro, like really bad! I'm currently running an old as hell 7950, since I sold my RX-580 in hopes of getting a Vega 56, but I can never find one in stock.

I need to do Neat Video noise reduction and it's a super compute hog. I mean my 4K footage is getting processed at 1.6 fps when using the GPU! [emoji35] I'm better off using all the cores in my Ryzen 1700 O.C.'d to 4GHz, but even that only gets me around 6 fps. I'd like to get closer to real-time (24 fps), but something tells me I'd need either two Vega 56 or Threadripper to get there.

The FE is thermally limited because the fan can't go above 30% AFAIK.
That's why its performance is below the Vega 64.
That fan issue is just with a stock pro profile. Switch to the gaming driver and under volt it and it stops thermal limiting. Or you can turn the blower to hair dryer/rocket engine mode [emoji38].

Back