Star Wars Discussion Thread (Movies, Books, Plotholes, etc)

Picao84

Veteran
Right, went to watch The Last Jedi. Without spoiling anything, it is generally better than The Force Awakens, but more inconsistent. Has its high moments but it also has terribly low ones (including one high moment that is trashed out later on like the movie is trolling you, IMO). It also could not run away completely from the original trilogy. It is not as patently obvious as in TFA, but yes, there are plot devices copied from Episode 5. If the Rogue One was 10/10 for me, TLJ is a 7/10 with TFA a mediocre 5.5/10.

Saw The Last Jedi yesterday night.

During the movie I thought everything was being spectacular. Immediately after leaving I thought some things didn't make much sense.
24 hours later I think my rating for the movie went from a 9/10 to a 6.5/10.

Like Mark Hamill said, you're going to be pretty disappointed if you're hoping to meet your childhood heroes again, and I do agree with Mark Hamill in the way I disagree completely with almost everything they decided about Luke.

I think the biggest problem is too many Expanded Universe stories were created around Luke and all main characters, and apparently LucasFilm has direct orders to not repeat anything that was done in any of the books, videogames, comics, etc.
So there's not really a lot of stuff they can do anymore, and the fact that they actually managed to surprise people with some plot twists is fairly impressive.

Though the movie has so many problems, so much screen time wasted on useless subplots and useless new characters (Token Diversity Characters in a setting with actual aliens? Really?), little to no screen time dedicated to answering questions that fans have been dying to get since 2015...

Though the movie has so many problems, so much screen time wasted on useless subplots and useless new characters (Token Diversity Characters in a setting with actual aliens? Really?), little to no screen time dedicated to answering questions that fans have been dying to get since 2015...

To me the movie feels like a big fucking FUCK YOU to The Force Awakens. Took the little things that made the movie "enjoyable" and the mysteries it created that made us look forward for the sequel, and throw them in the garbage bin with little respect or content.

I must say, I was hyped AF before going in, and although I still feel that I was part of a huge moment, I feel really, really conflicted about it. It’s a very strange feeling of not knowing whether I loved it or hated it. Whether it was brilliant or a complete mess. I think the answer lies in between. One thing is for sure, it was delightfully and surprisingly hilarious at times. Especially the jokes involving Luke.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, it was delightfully and surprisingly hilarious at times. Especially the jokes involving Luke.

But that is part of the reason for it to be a such a mixed bag. It felt like your run of the mill Marvel movie that you get 2 or more per year. It did no feel like something truly special that you were left waiting two years for!

Huh? 93% Tomatometer, audience score is 58% though

Tommy McClain

Read my post again. And down to 57% now already. After just one day of the premiere. This thing is a flop and slap in the face of fans. Will it go even lower than the prequels?

Read my post again. And down to 57% now already. After just one day of the premiere. This thing is a flop and slap in the face of fans. Will it go even lower than the prequels?
You called it Rotten. Its certified Fresh. Only critics score is used for Rotten or Fresh. See the knocked over popcorn container for audience score.

Tommy McClain

You called it Rotten. Its certified Fresh. Only critics score is used for Rotten or Fresh. See the knocked over popcorn container for audience score.

Tommy McClain

Thats why I wrote Audience. Who cares about critics anyway? The site is called Rotten Tomatoes and includes two types of evaluations. If one of them is bad its still rotten by the website's name. What would you call it then? Rotten popcorn movie? Dropped popcorn bag movie? Seriously, what does it matter to you what I called it?

Last edited:
Thats why I wrote Audience. Who cares about critics anyway?
That's because that's how their site works. Fresh or Rotten labels only work for the critics' score. I'm sure all those Rotten ratings DC movies receive would love to use the audience rating to be considered Fresh.

TLDR - You're using it wrong.

Tommy McClain

That's because that's how their site works. Fresh or Rotten labels only work for the critics' score. I'm sure all those Rotten ratings DC movies receive would love to use the audience rating to be considered Fresh.

TLDR - You're using it wrong.

Tommy McClain

Whatever.

To me the movie feels like a big fucking FUCK YOU to The Force Awakens. Took the little things that made the movie "enjoyable" and the mysteries it created that made us look forward for the sequel, and throw them in the garbage bin with little respect or content.
Kinda funny that the biggest criticism of the Force Awakens was "its Star Wars repeated" and then this comes along pulls the rug out from under your feet and the criticism is "it doesn't honor Force Awakens"! :p

I didn't feel the same type of giddiness watching this as I did Force Awakens, as it did blindside me in the directions it took. But coming out of it I think it great that it did. Its growing on me more after the watching it. I'll be seeing it again soon.

I didn't read any reviews from sites or on forums before going in today, I didn't want to see or hear any spoilers or even get any vibes from anyone about the movie. I returned home about an hour ago and I feel like it borderline sucked... or if not sucked very meh anyway, almost everything about it was meh to be honest. A handful of nice views/scenes drowned in poor to mediocre action scenes and boring elements in general. The reveals and surprises didn't make the lore more interesting, but rather the opposite and made the whole thing feel more mundane in my eyes.

I think Force Awakens despite it flaws was much better than this and Rogue One the best of the new ones. I mean all that sounds a bit harsh, I can still give it 3/5, but have no interest whatsoever to see it again. I have re watched the previous two, but this simply doesn't have anything great to go back to. Relatively small changes could have made this a lot more appealing.

Last edited:
Like Mark Hamill said, you're going to be pretty disappointed if you're hoping to meet your childhood heroes again
Hm, I think I would have been disappointed by meeting my childhood hero, naive, slightly brooding farmboy Luke Skywalker. ...Not that Luke was ever really my hero, but that's beside the point. ;) For me personally, I think I would much rather meet a radically different Luke. Han and Leia were comfortingly familiar in TFA despite all the years we've been separated from these characters, but that's what that movie called for. This would need something different, methinks.

Not seen this one yet, but I hope to soon.

(Token Diversity Characters in a setting with actual aliens? Really?)
Gods, non-white people in a movie really rile you up that much, huh? Jesus, get over yourself already. Roughly 93% of humanity is brown, so get used to it.

and the criticism is "it doesn't honor Force Awakens"! :p
Hmh. ESB took SW and turned it on its head back in 1980... I suppose if the internet had existed back then we might have heard similar cries... :p

Kinda funny that the biggest criticism of the Force Awakens was "its Star Wars repeated" and then this comes along pulls the rug out from under your feet and the criticism is "it doesn't honor Force Awakens"! :p

I didn't feel the same type of giddiness watching this as I did Force Awakens, as it did blindside me in the directions it took. But coming out of it I think it great that it did. Its growing on me more after the watching it. I'll be seeing it again soon.

Oh, I'm sorry if I expected this to be a Trilogy :rolleyes:

There were things introduced in TFA that were just scrapped with barely any content. For example, what were those Rey visions in TFA when she picked up the lightsaber then? Why was the lightsaber calling to her at all? The "answer" we had on TLJ was pretty much a punch in the stomach. A plot twist just for the sake of plot twist, made to shock the audience but without any real substance to it. And don't even get me started on Snoke...

The story line lacks consistency and shows that Disney did not plan the three movies from the get to go. You may argue that the movies of the original Trilogy were pretty much self contained / not dependent on each other (with maybe the exception of Hand Solo being caught and frozen) and that's true. But that is not how Disney started this Trilogy. It raised a lot of questions and misteries that people were excited about and TLJ does not give appropriate answers to the them. Worse, it left them in the gutter to die alone like an abortion. Like they realised "oh oh, we shouldn't have done that let's scrape it and walk away whistling". South Park's "nothing to see here, move along" comes to mind when writing this.

Last edited:
Hm, I think I would have been disappointed by meeting my childhood hero, naive, slightly brooding farmboy Luke Skywalker. ...Not that Luke was ever really my hero, but that's beside the point. ;) For me personally, I think I would much rather meet a radically different Luke. Han and Leia were comfortingly familiar in TFA despite all the years we've been separated from these characters, but that's what that movie called for. This would need something different, methinks.

Not seen this one yet, but I hope to soon.

Gods, non-white people in a movie really rile you up that much, huh? Jesus, get over yourself already. Roughly 93% of humanity is brown, so get used to it.

Hmh. ESB took SW and turned it on its head back in 1980... I suppose if the internet had existed back then we might have heard similar cries... :p

The problem is not being different. In fact there was something very different in it that I liked! Until a plot twist ruined it by bringing it back to square one! The movie tricks you into believing Star Wars is going on a new direction and then reveals its not! It's actually going to be the same old boring good guys versus bad guys.

Back