Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

If licence holders can just flip to Lumberyard that does Crytek's floundering business no good at all. They're going in hard on CIG with a capable law firm. I'd expect they're trying to make an example alongside going after the money. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I thought from a technical point of view the switch to Lumberyard was one of the more sensible things CIG have done. Mainly as Amazon should be around for a while Crytek looked to be dying at the time.

I'm pretty sure from the start it was sold as a persistent universe and the Squadron 42 separate game.
Thats certainly my recollection too.

Edit: after a visit to page 1 of the thread
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-melt-your-pc-with-new-space-sim-star-citizen
Star Citizen features a dynamic economy and an open world. Roberts describes it as a mash up of Freelancer and Privateer, two of his previous games, and a Wing Commander game. The single-player mode can be played offline or co-op with friends in a similar fashion to the way players impact each other's games in Demon's Souls, he said.

The story revolves around a political drama inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. But players will be most concerned with Squadron 42, a sort of sci-fi French Foreign Legion. 42 has a reputation for always pulling through even during the most difficult of missions, and your goal is to get accepted into its ranks.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure from the start it was sold as a persistent universe and the Squadron 42 separate game.
Nope.

Right in the first page of this thread there's this link:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-melt-your-pc-with-new-space-sim-star-citizen

Star Citizen features a dynamic economy and an open world. Roberts describes it as a mash up of Freelancer and Privateer, two of his previous games, and a Wing Commander game. The single-player mode can be played offline or co-op with friends in a similar fashion to the way players impact each other's games in Demon's Souls, he said.

The story revolves around a political drama inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. But players will be most concerned with Squadron 42, a sort of sci-fi French Foreign Legion. 42 has a reputation for always pulling through even during the most difficult of missions, and your goal is to get accepted into its ranks.
The promo in that video is about Squadron 42.
Their marketing during the first 2-3 years was mostly dedicated to the single player campaign, there's no way around that.
The MMO part has for the last 2 been sustained by whales paying tens of thousands for a dream, but the most important initial ~80 Million or so were given by people hoping to get a spiritual sequel to Wing Commander and Freelancer, tidied up inside a X3-like open world.

CIG wanted to show something from Squadron 42 on the 21st of December. Hopefully that will not be suspended because of this. ^^
Well they now have a great scapegoat to not talk about it and fool people for even longer.

If licence holders can just flip to Lumberyard that does Crytek's floundering business no good at all. They're going in hard on CIG with a capable law firm. I'd expect they're trying to make an example alongside going after the money. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I thought from a technical point of view the switch to Lumberyard was one of the more sensible things CIG have done. Mainly as Amazon should be around for a while Crytek looked to be dying at the time.

They stopped paying Crytek for CryEngine support / updates back in 2015.
The greatest irony here is that, had they followed through with their promises and focused on Squadron 42 launching in late 2015/2016, they would now have a game release on CryEngine 3. Which is what was in the contract.
They changed the game to Lumberyard because of the feature-creeping on the MMO crap.

Serves them right, if you ask me.

Sorry but I'm not going to take a couple of paragraphs from Eurogamer as convincing that it was never going to be a multi-player universe. Their kickstarter page from 2012 mentions it and talks about it. I can't say I've ever considered it anything but the PU and SQ42 since I first backed it when it began.

They changed the game to Lumberyard because of the feature-creeping on the MMO crap.

Serves them right, if you ask me.
Not really arguing with you there! :p

Feature creep is bad for a project, and I don't think I've ever seen feature creep to this extent in a game - and certainly not in one which actually launched in the end.

This is what they said back in 2012 with some Q@A for Kickstarter:
Jalister
Hi, a co-worker and I were just talking about this after work today, and look what I found. :)
From the FAQ I see this will support private servers. I understand that to mean I could setup a private server for just myself and some friends, completely independent of the persistent world?

CR:
Jalister that's correct.
The idea is to allow people to set up their own servers and mod like you can do on Freelancer,
Or play in a curated persistent universe (that will have more reach and scale than one privately hosted)
Or just play a Wing Commander style single player game offline (or online if you want co-op)
All in the same consistent universe

So again, persistent universe and single player. Are you taking "consistent universe" to be something other than in the same storyline/timeframe? Irrespective, it's always been 2 separate parts, the PU and the single player game.

Somehow I doubt private servers will ever be a thing lol, I'm sure that's in one of the many lists of broken promises. That's if the SQ42 game ever comes to fruition either :LOL:.

So again, persistent universe and single player. Are you taking "consistent universe" to be something other than in the same storyline/timeframe? Irrespective, it's always been 2 separate parts, the PU and the single player game.

Somehow I doubt private servers will ever be a thing lol, I'm sure that's in one of the many lists of broken promises. That's if the SQ42 game ever comes to fruition either :LOL:.
What I quoted aligns perfectly with what Eurogamer said (I thought you wanted more proof) and ToTTenTranz's context.
from Q&A said:
Or just play a Wing Commander style single player game offline (or online if you want co-op)
All in the same consistent universe.

So yeah they have broken their promises, and lets see how it pans out with private servers or modding.

There was always a multiplayer and single player game (in one package at least). It was only avoided to call the multiplayer an MMO.

At that time a Consetallation, Freelancer, Hornet and Aurora could already be brought in the game package for the PU.

There was always a multiplayer and single player game (in one package at least). It was only avoided to call the multiplayer an MMO.

At that time a Consetallation, Freelancer, Hornet and Aurora could already be brought in the game package for the PU.
But they always mentioned it could be offline, with story, some potentially interesting persistent story lines, and private servers including modding in a very similar fashion to Wing Commander.
How much of that can you do without being online ala Eve Online?

Yes, CIG said that there would be private servers but I cannot say whether this is still planned or not because many systems like the AI will need a server.

Newsletter for Squadron 42: http://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/tbd-140681

"December 14th, 2017

Attention!

The UEE Navy needs you. Whether you’re already a top gun or have never flown a ship before, there’s a place for you in the Navy. Only by banding together can we hope to move forward and protect the freedom of the UEE.

On Wed. Dec. 20th, enlist on the RSI website by signing up for the next Squadron 42 newsletter with exclusive information and updates on the game’s progress. You must enlist to continue receiving these official communications — be the first to know.

Heads up. Check out IGN on Wed. Dec. 20th for an exclusive teaser featuring Mark Hamill.

Report for duty on Thurs, Dec. 21st for our Around the Verse holiday special. Watch it on Twitch from 12-2 PM PST to hear the latest Squadron 42 updates directly from the developers.

Over and Out,

UEE Naval High Command"

Good timing on an announcement from Mark Hamill. At least it's something about SQ42!

Another leaked actor for Squadron 42.

SppOwsw.jpg

Henry Cavill - Superman

That A list cast. ^^

In 2015 Crytek did not show Star Citizen in their license trailers with CRYENGINE games. So, I'm surprised that they want CRYENGINE when the games launches. This is hypocritical in my view. ^^

CryEngine Licensee Trailer - GDC 2015:

GDC 2016 Licensee Showcase | CRYENGINE Technology:

In 2014 they showed Star Citizen:

In 2015, I immediately noticed something was wrong between Crytek and CIG..

I don’t mind CIG giving a bit of my backer money to Crytek. At least, chances are much higher we get a playable game then...
The Hunt

New Squadron 42 site: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

(hair shader is not done yet)

Tomorrow CIG wants to show NPC interactions on the Idris. Next update on Squadron 42 on 25 January.

Requirements for Squadron 42:
  • Windows 7 (64bit) with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64bit), Windows 10 - Anniversary Update (64bit)
  • DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 2GB RAM (4GB strongly recommended)
  • Quad Core CPU
  • 16GB+ RAM
  • SSD strongly recommended

Last edited:
Back