VGTech Video Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patch 1.06 on Xbox One X significantly increased the resolution during cutscenes that are now capped to 30fps. A scene that rendered at approximately 1440x2160 on 1.04 now renders at approximately 3000x2160 on 1.06. These cutscenes still use a dynamic resolution that can reach native 3840x2160 and still seems to use the same temporal reconstruction technique as before.

The 30(ish) fps capped cutscenes also happens on Playstation patch 1.06 too. Still horrible framepacing issues. I don't see why they think this was needed.

---
Note that the base PS4 has also had the same cutscene frame rate cap applied to it and it also exhibits frame pacing issues. Patch 1.06 on PS4 Pro significantly increased the resolution during cutscenes that are now capped to 30fps. A scene that rendered at approximately 960x2160 on 1.04 now renders at approximately 2048x2160 on 1.06. These cutscenes still use a dynamic resolution and still seem to use the same temporal reconstruction technique as before.

Interesting thing about Fortnite is there's an option to unlock the framerate on console. VGTech tested both Pro and X versions with uncapped framerates and the min/avg/max for Pro is 31/46/60, and on X is 25/38/47, both with pretty much constant tearing. So it seems like either Pro could've been pushed a little more, or X was pushed too high.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xZ-LmG2uIpjD7_NtOYVmzIK66Y/edit#gid=836296497
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HYOB_zYOMGe4ReIlWieLYVdoxs/edit#gid=185388729

Interesting thing about Fortnite is there's an option to unlock the framerate on console. VGTech tested both Pro and X versions with uncapped framerates and the min/avg/max for Pro is 31/46/60, and on X is 25/38/47, both with pretty much constant tearing. So it seems like either Pro could've been pushed a little more, or X was pushed too high.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xZ-LmG2uIpjD7_NtOYVmzIK66Y/edit#gid=836296497
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HYOB_zYOMGe4ReIlWieLYVdoxs/edit#gid=185388729
Yep and if you are serious about winning in such a game, the uncapped mode is the way to play it in MP. DF really didn't compare the uncapped modes ?

That's why its good to have others sources of framerate analysis.

Yep and if you are serious about winning in such a game, the uncapped mode is the way to play it in MP. DF really didn't compare the uncapped modes ?

That's why its good to have others sources of framerate analysis.
Battle royals isn’t a twitch shooter. I don’t know where You get that idea from. Anything that would improve your ability to see enemies at range and make a plan is to your advantage.

Battle royals isn’t a twitch shooter. I don’t know where You get that idea from. Anything that would improve your ability to see enemies at range and make a plan is to your advantage.
I see a lot of twitch encounters in the videos actually. A lot of encounters I have seen on videos take place next to the other guy: normally the quicker to shoot should win the fight. Often one guy waits behind a door.

And the quicker you can turn the camera, the quicker you can see if there are enemies around you. The best way to play this game must be uncapped, no doubt. Which is why there is this mode.

I see a lot of twitch encounters in the videos actually. A lot of encounters I have seen on videos take place next to the other guy: normally the quicker to shoot should win the fight. Often one guy waits behind a door.

And the quicker you can turn the camera, the quicker you can see if there are enemies around you. The best way to play this game must be uncapped, no doubt. Which is why there is this mode.
dude.. lol no. The game is not nearly as twitch as COD. You're talking about 2 completely different type of games here. Try playing the game before deciding you need twitch mechanics, no one can kill you at super far range without certain guns, and there aren't enough buildings to cover up in to be in those types of situations like you would an arena shooter. You can win this game by chance just by being AFK and being in the right place at the right time. You can win the game by literally just hiding. There is no requirement for twitch mechanics in this style of game.

By and large I think personal reaction times and decision making will be the decider. Those encounters are few and far between. You can mostly work out where the opponent is before the encounter.

It's an MP shooter more like Thief than COD. I had three kills in a match yesterday all from sneaking up on people. Being able to see someone moving the distance to approach/avoid is far more important than having super smooth motion for 90% of the game. There are moments of firefighting and spinning around building towers where better motion would be beneficial, but that'd sacrifice the major aspects of this game.

TBH the thing it most wants is 3D audio! That'd be a real advantage if some players had 3D audio on headphones while others played on TV speakers. Sony's 7.1 headset is okay for left/right and proximity.

the netcode in Fortnite and PUBG are actually pretty awful if you're expecting decent shooting. Both have dynamic tick rates that increase as the match progresses. Fortnite goes into the low 20s and pubg caps at about 20Hz. I think PUBG actually starts at like 15Hz. Good twitch shooters have 60Hz+ tick rates. CSGO I think is 120Hz. Battlefield 1's competitive mode is going to be 120Hz.

Fortnite released another patch V.1.10 with a large number of fixes, a few of them listed under performance...

Performance
  • Improved general framerate when multiple characters are nearby.
  • Improved server performance by reducing the number of redundant movement events sent from clients.
  • Improved Xbox One rendering by reducing CPU stalls.
  • Improved performance when rendering lighting and shadows.
  • Improved performance when rendering bushes and other clutter objects.
  • Improved game thread performance by converting more game logic BPs to C++.
  • Improved UI performance.
  • Improved PhysX performance.
  • Improved CPU performance on Xbox One and Windows by tweaking thread priorities.
  • Improved performance of particle systems by adding batching.
  • Improved performance of animation trail effects and particles.
  • Improved performance when using the glider.
  • Optimized particles associated with players/weapons.
  • Optimized audio for the safe zone indicator.
  • Tweaked how often animations update and optimized many other animation systems.
  • Reduced general hitching by optimizing garbage collection of objects loaded within memory.
  • Reduced network bandwidth used when spawning players in a squad match.
  • Fixed a server performance issue caused by building actors that moved every frame.
  • Fixed a server performance issue where rubber banding could be caused when jumping out of the Battle Bus.
  • Fixed various hitches that could occur during gameplay.

This really means all the discussion about the previous performance could very well be moot.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v-1-10-patch-notes

It's a good thing this is still in early access. Once you've landed and begin the phase of searching for weapons the framerate mostly stabilizes. I certainly hope they improve the framerates in the opening sequence, even if it means using dynamic resolution at that point.

The comments on YouTube show how juvenile fanboys can be. Those people are down right ugly.

Call of Duty WW2 Xbox One X and Xbox One (@5:33 mark) video:

The version tested was 1.07 for Xbox One and Xbox One X. Motion blur was enabled for both versions.

The Xbox One version uses a dynamic resolution with native resolutions ranging from 800x900 to 1600x900.

The Xbox One X version uses a dynamic resolution with native resolutions ranging from 960x2160 to 3840x2160. The average resolution on Xbox One X appears to be noticeably higher than the PS4 Pro version.

Both versions appear to use a temporal reconstruction technique that improves the resolution for parts of the frame that are similar to previous frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back