Planning possible SFF build

Yeah if you want to support absolutely everything and not have any issues for years to come with standards or DRM, the 1050 (4gb) or better is the way to go. AMD has zero products to compete with it for the HTPC market.

Not that I really care about video decoding on my PC, but it's super weird that AMD dropped the ball like that with codec support on Vega. They should have known better, and surely IP must be available to drop in if they didn't want to spend money to develop their own video codecs.

They used to have great HTPC support once upon a time.

Yeah if you want to support absolutely everything and not have any issues for years to come with standards or DRM, the 1050 (4gb) or better is the way to go. AMD has zero products to compete with it for the HTPC market.

What really sucks is you can't even just get "1050 ti or better" because the 1070 (including the ti) and 1080 both have worse codec support than the 1060 which has worse codec support than the 1050ti, 1050 and 1030. It really narrows your choices if this stuff is important to you. Your only step-up option from the 1050ti with full video decode functionality is the 1080ti!

Last edited:
Not that I really care about video decoding on my PC, but it's super weird that AMD dropped the ball like that with codec support on Vega. They should have known better, and surely IP must be available to drop in if they didn't want to spend money to develop their own video codecs.

They used to have great HTPC support once upon a time.

Yeah, I griped about this as part of the "Vega Sucks" pile-on. Must have been a timing issue as it's fixed for Ryzen Mobile.

Video processing by compute shaders is one of the things that AMDs architecture is actually quite good at relative to Nvidia, so it's extra frustrating that the chips are hamstrung in this way.

What really sucks is you can't even just get "1050 ti or better" because the 1070 (including the ti) and 1080 both have worse codec support than the 1060 which has worse codec support than the 1050ti, 1050 and 1030. It really narrows your choices if this stuff is important to you. Your only step-up option from the 1050ti with full video decode functionality is the 1080ti!
Ugh that's terrible! So we have precisely one GPU option for HTPC's that don't want to spend a fortune or power/dissipate a 1080ti?

Must have been a timing issue as it's fixed for Ryzen Mobile.
Any information on codec support for Ryzen Mobile available? Anything on PlayReady as well?

Ugh that's terrible! So we have precisely one GPU option for HTPC's that don't want to spend a fortune or power/dissipate a 1080ti?

Kind of. Technically, the 1050 vanilla and 1030 could work too, but 2 GB VRAM probably is going to end up being a bottleneck when dealing with 4K content.

Any information on codec support for Ryzen Mobile available? Anything on PlayReady as well?

There was a slide deck distributed to the press and one of the slides had it. Of course, most of the press neglected to pass this particular slide around, because they thought no one cared about that information I guess. I'll see if I can track it down.

Is there somewhere with a table with video decode support per video card? Or something neatly organized.

I believe this is all correct:

Edit: fixed Skylake info.

Polaris/Vega/1070+1080 have full hardware decoding support for HEVC 8/10 bit.
Skylake has HEVC support up to 4Kp30 (Core M has no HEVC support), and adds VP9 8-bit up to 4Kp24 (Core M limited to 1080p60)
1060 adds full VP9 8-bit support
1050ti+1050+1030/Ryzen Mobile/Kaby Lake+Coffee Lake add 10-bit (Profile 2) VP9 decoding.

Last edited:
Kind of. Technically, the 1050 vanilla and 1030 could work too, but 2 GB VRAM probably is going to end up being a bottleneck when dealing with 4K content.
I say that due to Netflix requiring 3Gb+ VRAM for 4k, thus to be fully compatible, there's only 1 GPU :)

There was a slide deck distributed to the press and one of the slides had it. Of course, most of the press neglected to pass this particular slide around, because they thought no one cared about that information I guess. I'll see if I can track it down.
Well the Netflix DRM for 4k requires Playready 3.0, so it's kind of important.

I say that due to Netflix requiring 3Gb+ VRAM for 4k, thus to be fully compatible, there's only 1 GPU :)

Well the Netflix DRM for 4k requires Playready 3.0, so it's kind of important.

Guru3D have the slide with the Ryzen Mobile media capabilities listed (second from the last thumbnail at the bottom of the article). Nothing about Playready 3.0 on it.

Edit: AMD say it's coming

Forbes said:
In addition, AMD was keen to state that Ryzen Mobile will also support Netflix 4K streaming in the near future - something only Intel Kaby Lake CPUs support, but it's waiting on signing off the DRM requirements for its CPU to support it too.

Taken from this article.

That's promising, thanks! I'd really like to go Ryzen Mobile for my next HTPC but AMD's complete lack of support for that market over the last few years has been a big issue. Even simple things like no longer supporting decent deinterlacing in drivers, something they excelled at over the competition years ago.

Nice! That Celeron J4105 looks like a great contender for SFF HTPC builds.

I believe this is all correct:

Edit: fixed Skylake info.

Polaris/Vega/1070+1080 have full hardware decoding support for HEVC 8/10 bit.
Skylake has HEVC support up to 4Kp30 (Core M has no HEVC support), and adds VP9 8-bit up to 4Kp24 (Core M limited to 1080p60)
1060 adds full VP9 8-bit support
1050ti+1050+1030/Ryzen Mobile/Kaby Lake+Coffee Lake add 10-bit (Profile 2) VP9 decoding.
Thanks for this. Sorry about the late reply forgot about this thread. In regards to AV1 I've heard in the past video cards have supported partial hardware decoding for new codecs. (partial GPU/CPU or partial hardware/shader solutions) I was wondering if you know if this will be the case with AV1?

Thanks for this. Sorry about the late reply forgot about this thread. In regards to AV1 I've heard in the past video cards have supported partial hardware decoding for new codecs. (partial GPU/CPU or partial hardware/shader solutions) I was wondering if you know if this will be the case with AV1?

Nothing certain, but AV1 will be very heavily based on VP9 specifically since the hardware decode manufacturers asked to be able to reuse blocks for AV1. So it's certainly possible.

Netflix HDR On Windows 10 Only Supported on Intel or Nvidia GPUs
Netflix sends word it will support HDR through its app and Edge on a PC running Windows 10. Here is the thing, only Intel GPUs (integrated) starting at Kaby Lake processors or newer, as well as Nvidia GTX1050 GPUs and upwards, are supported. AMD GPUs are not supported.

To make the magic happen you will be required to have the Windows 10 Creators Fall (1709) Update installed reports tweakers. A Geforce GTX1050, GTX1060, GTX1070 or GTX1080 or better is supported, you need at least 3GB of graphics memory as well. Netflix, however, does not explain why HDR on AMD GPUs is not supported. Basically, all it needs is 10-bit support, and we know that Vega for certain can handle it.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ne...0-only-supported-on-intel-or-nvidia-gpus.html

Maybe they just wanted to utilize the same encoding and DRM path as their 4k data, which has identical requirements. AMD stopped caring about HTPC-related support years ago but rumors indicating Ryzen Mobile may have the necessary support in.

Not really news. This has been working since last month (and I had it working with my 1060 on an Insider build of Windows 10/special driver months ago). AMD need to get their DRM support certified on Ryzen Mobile and then it will work there as well. They're just late. Shocking, right? Uncertain about Vega.

Man, am I glad I bought this when I did. RAM, GPU, and power supply pricing/availability have gone absolutely bonkers!

Man, am I glad I bought this when I did. RAM, GPU, and power supply pricing/availability have gone absolutely bonkers!

Yeah, a friend of mine had been eagerly looking forward to a making a new build based on Ryzen. He started planning all the hardware when Ryzen launched. Fast forward to about 3-4 weeks ago when he finally had saved up enough money to fit it into his family budget...and it's now far too expensive.

I'm glad I don't need to buy anything at the moment.

Regards,
SB

Back