Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

Okay, so although downloading in the background on XB1 is lower power, there's another longer duration step from validation that requires the console to be on? Still strikes me as bonkers though.

That's only shown when doing dashboard/firmware updates. You don't see that step at all during game or app updates. Though I suspect it somehow happens just the same, but it's not an explicit step called out or shown. Sorry if that wasn't clear earlier.

Good question, unfortunately I don't have a power meter, otherwise I could compare the Xbox One 2013 Launch, the Xbox One X SE, and the 4Pro.

Does XB1 use more than 15 watts when downloading and installing games in the background?
Yes. We know XBX consumes 50W in this mode (restmode + download), exactly the same needed for "idle dashboard". So we can assume from this: ~48W is needed for XB1 and ~25W for XB1S. We know it's respectively ~70w and 46W for PS4 fat and slim.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review_1
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...st-mode-power-consumption-pros-cons/#/slide/1

We know the 50W number of XBX during rest mode + downloading because they thought it was only rest mode without download at first and were corrected by Microsoft. As far as I know they never purposefully tested any XB1 in this mode. They tested this mode on all PS4s they reviewed.

Yea I don’t think you can get away from spinning a disc, and spinning some fans. Mechanical motion is going to increase some wattage. Hell my router is running 40W almost, I definitely need to go back and get a new one.

I have tested my PS4 Pro power usage. CUH-7000, 220V input (power efficiency could be different for 110V).
Standby 1.1W
Rest mode (internet disabled, usb power disabled) only 2.6W
Rest mode (internet enabled, remote control enabled, usb power disabled) 2.7W
Rest mode (internet enabled, remote control enabled, usb power enabled – nothing connected) 8.5W
Idle dashboard 65.5

Does anyone know XBS / XBX numbers?

I have tested my PS4 Pro power usage. CUH-7000, 220V input (power efficiency could be different for 110V).
Standby 1.1W
Rest mode (internet disabled, usb power disabled) only 2.6W
Rest mode (internet enabled, remote control enabled, usb power disabled) 2.7W
Rest mode (internet enabled, remote control enabled, usb power enabled – nothing connected) 8.5W
Idle dashboard 65.5

Does anyone know XBS / XBX numbers?
They are pretty close IIRC. Some areas a bit higher, some areas a bit lower. But nothing drastically different IIRC.

More ranting. ;)

Only just discovered how to find the download list. I knew downloads appeared in the Notifications, but pressing Options gives the option to view downloads. Why are game 'downloads' mixed in with 'messages' rather than as networking or Games or something sane? And with the latest 5.03 patch, I now have a honking great mouse pointer visible in the middle of the main screen. Noice!

Rant what you will but I am pretty happy with usability. It is such a smooth experience compared to anything before it. Sure part of that is better hardware and sure there is room for improvement (personally I would like easier access to recordings and screenshots from, say, a game’s context menu) but overall very happy.

More ranting. ;)

Only just discovered how to find the download list. I knew downloads appeared in the Notifications, but pressing Options gives the option to view downloads. Why are game 'downloads' mixed in with 'messages' rather than as networking or Games or something sane? And with the latest 5.03 patch, I now have a honking great mouse pointer visible in the middle of the main screen. Noice!
Are you talking about XBOX or PS?

Well for me the biggest issue is that sometimes apps dont load up. Its like the memory is not enough and I have to restart the console to free memory. This usually happens when I have a game suspended. Also some network features take ages to load or dont load at all.
On PS3 when I played online, every player's ID was in the Player's Met section. Now it seems to be inconsistent

How is it a smoother experience?! There's no idea where anything is and its often unintuitive.

Did you ever use the PS3 for a decent length of time? It's waaaaaaay smoother than that.

I haven't encountered many issues with intuition and usability, but that's possibly because, other than games, I only use Netflix, Youtube, and the storage management section (I really need to get an external HDD.) It may also be that I'm used to Sony's idiosyncrasies due to using the PS3, on an almost daily basis, from launch.

I stopped using the PS3 as soon as I could because of how unpleasant the UX is, but I don't see myself doing that with the PS4.

PS3's UI was obvious. For videos, go the Video tab and scroll down the list. Same for games. For downloads, go to the internet. For a setting, go to Settings and scroll through the list. Want to set a custom wallpaper? View your image, press the options button, and select 'set as wallpaper' from the options. Or go to theme settings and pick a wallpaper from images on your HDD. Which you could download from the browser, intuitively. PS4 has more features so that adds complexity, but they aren't arranged in any meaningful way. As I say, I've had the thing some 18 months now and only just figured that I could find my downloads by going to Notifications and pressing Options to select Downloads. That's illogical. Downloads are a file operation associated with games or the network. Notifications are simple feedbacks for events and activities. They don't belong together other than a notification when a download is complete.

And as for setting the wallpaper, it turns out you can't on PS4. That's moronic. That's what Nintendo does. Sony and MS provided custom backdrops, but only MS has kept that feature. So you fumble away in the menus trying to find a way to change the wallpaper, knowing they're not intuitive so having to plod away through settings and options, to come up with nothing and have to go on the internet to learn that the feature doesn't exist.

Obviously some things are better. Parties and party chat is definitely great. But I do often end up going to menu instead of side menu and getting a little lost, though that's probably from lack of use and familiarity. However, overall the OS/interface structure is, IMHO, pants.

How can you transfer a picture from your PC, Phone, Tablet or Browser to show up in your "Capture Gallery"? It seems like Capture Gallery is only from screenshots?

Go to Capture Gallery and find the screenshot that you want to set as your custom wallpaper - you'll obviously need to have taken some screenshots first using the share button.

That's not a 'custom wallpaper', but a hack. Sony only allow you to use a screenshot. I've grabbed a Christmas image off the internet (at whatever scaling it was, so you can't be sure of 1:1 images) but it's too bright and there's no option to adjust the background brightness. In contrast PS3 had image viewing, setting as wallpaper, and adjusting brightness, all intuitively placed where you'd expect to find them, in several places even (wallpaper setting could be done on the image as viewed or in Theme settings).

Saying PS4 supports custom wallpaper is like saying Switch supports voice chat...

Back