mobile Radeon 9700 available now

mboeller

Regular
The Mobility Radeon R9700 is available since today, well at least in Germany. I just read an advertising from Mediamarkt with the "fastest 3D graphics for notebooks" plastered all over the title page. So the M11 is available even before it is announced. Look here

So when will we read an Preview or an Review? I'm rather surprised that this chip is already in an notebook even before it is announced.

Another false start, perhaps. Remember, there's been a Canadian company advertising a Mobile 9700 for a few weeks now. NDA probably hasn't lifted yet WRT reviews. Heck, I wonder if people have even received laptops with the card in them yet? Will this German laptop ship immediately, or is there a lead time?

ATI are just not announcing until they have some significant wins. It has been shipping to vendors for a little while now.

I certainly wouldn't rule out typoes, no. I mean, can you GET something in a shipping product before ANYONE has a chance to review it? I could see holding off for some reasons, but reviews build up demand which increases sales... Nothing at all would be a bit rediculous.

Robbitop said:
Radeon 9700 Mobility = M11 = M10 w/ lowk ???

I guess the "MediaMarkt" got a typing Error in their script ;)
Sounds more sensible than an R300 in a laptop. The only thing I can think of is when the Geforce 4 ti4200 was made into a mobile part. It performed quite well, but was a hot and power-hungry little bastard. No wonder it didn't seem to reach the popularity of NVidia's other mobile parts.

Good Lord! If people already have these cards, WHERE ARE THE BENCHES?! :)

DaveBaumann said:
ATI are just not announcing until they have some significant wins. It has been shipping to vendors for a little while now.

If this part really is as beastly as people have been led to believe, why wouldn't it already have some significant wins?

Trawler said:
If this part really is as beastly as people have been led to believe, why wouldn't it already have some significant wins?

You may remember MR9600 / MR9600PRO's launch way back at CeBit, March '03. At that point these were launched just as the chips were produced and there was a long lead time until it really started getting adoptions - even longer than we started seeing a number of Go5600 solutions popping up, such that people were asking what the hell had happened to MR9600. In reality, as ATI's descrete mobile market share numbers back up, ATI's design wins tend to be of the much larger volume SKU's (the Go5600's were in many of the smaller volume solutions that can be a little more fluid in their choices), as such many of these vendors actually stick to a product for around a year and with MR9000 shipping only a little while before 9600 took a long time to get into slots that had 9000's in.

For the same reason MR9700 has probably been available for a little while, but only now are slots being refreshed or some of these new, smaller volume, notebooks popping up that will adopt it quickly.

Oh, and don't get too hung up on the name.

cthellis42 said:
I mean, can you GET something in a shipping product before ANYONE has a chance to review it?

Certainly - why not ?
Not sending out review samples doesn't necessarily mean you're afraid of reviews, it can simply mean they don't have enough samples or something else. Other manufacturers do the same too.

DaveBaumann said:
Oh, and don't get too hung up on the name.

Which I take it to me that the part is 9700 in name only, which I was expecting, though disappointed it.

The M11 should be a "notebook-ized" 9600 XT. That is, 4 pipeline, 128 bit max bus width.

However, it (at least one variant) can approach 9700 non-pro performance, IF there is a M11 version that is 500/500.

Alternatively, I wonder if they can tweak the memory interface to be lower speed but wider, something like: 500 core, 275 Mhz- 256 bit DDR.

I assume that power consumption wise, a slower and wider bus is more efficient, though performance wise a faster, narrower one is probably a bit better.

Now, I do realize that many people try gaming on a laptop, but...

What's the point?

Sure, you get a great performer now. But due to the nature of the beast, to get a high-performance laptop you need to shell out $1700 to $2500 (depending on manufacturer), and in most cases the video card and processor aren't upgradeable! And as notebook parts lag behind deskop parts in speed to begin with, your ultra-spiffy notebook is obsolete for high-end gaming in twelve months.

Am I missing something here? The rip in the space/time continuum wherein an LCD screen triples your framerate and adds free 2x fsaa?

tkopp said:

What's the point?

Sure, you get a great performer now. But due to the nature of the beast, to get a high-performance laptop you need to shell out $1700 to $2500 (depending on manufacturer), and in most cases the video card and processor aren't upgradeable! And as notebook parts lag behind deskop parts in speed to begin with, your ultra-spiffy notebook is obsolete for high-end gaming in twelve months.

Am I missing something here? The rip in the space/time continuum wherein an LCD screen triples your framerate and adds free 2x fsaa?

The fact that some people prefere doing their thing on laptops for the following reasons:

1) They're dead sexxxy
2) They're small and don't take 10 square meters of you living space
3) They're dead sexxxy
4) They're dead sexxxy

ARGGGG....

Someone @ 3DCenter.de mentioned that the mobile Radeon R9700 is nothing more than a mobile R9600pro with 50MHz more Coretakt. :( :(

If that's true, then ATi marketing should be shot !

london-boy said:
tkopp said:

What's the point?

The fact that some people prefere doing their thing on laptops for the following reasons:

1) They're dead sexxxy
2) They're small and don't take 10 square meters of you living space
3) They're dead sexxxy
4) They're dead sexxxy
You forgot to mention just how drop-dead sexxxy they are! The Dig still lusts after a laptop!

Bah, so Anand wasn't confusing sources when he said the (IIRC) 9600XT would offer 9700-level performance.

ATi's marketing is beginning to sour me on the company.

mboeller said:
ARGGGG....

Someone @ 3DCenter.de mentioned that the mobile Radeon R9700 is nothing more than a mobile R9600pro with 50MHz more Coretakt. :( :(

If that's true, then ATi marketing should be shot !

No telling facts from hype at this point, but it seems to me a mere 50 MHz core speed bump wouldn't be consistent with how "impressed" they were with M11's performance over at Anand's.

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1951&p=3

Back