Nvidia Volta Speculation Thread

Ah well not the Volta Titan I was looking to buy in December lol.
Kinda blows for general consumers but not bad if wanting to play around with the Tensor cores or DL or want FP64, half the price of the previous gen Quadro GP100 that has less functionality-performance so I wonder how Nvidia will manage this to ensure sales are not too cannibalised by this Titan.
They improved the drivers for Geforce to be better with professional visual applications, albeit obviously this Titan in that situation would not be using the Tensor cores.
That aside it will be a strong card for universities and various other labs.
Yes, I work in a University/Lab that among other thing work on machine learning, and we have already ordered several cards.
For us, this is not ridiculous, I had personally expected it to be a "Quadro GV100" before GV100 was released as a Titan card. And for the performance this card will give when training networks, $3000 is really not that bad.

Seriously though, we all knew there would be a new Titan for Q1 2018, but a $3000 G@100 Titan is a surprise. I guess we know the cost of 1/2 rate DP and full tensor now, eh?
Didn't Jensen Huang at one point this year mention Volta's manufacturing cost per unit was pretty high?

I wonder if there will be driver product segmentation as well, artificially gimping performance? Yes the card is $3,000 but the Tesla is $10,000 and there's not much difference between the 2. I'm guessing since Tesla is designed mostly for multi-GPU (nvlink) and/or rack systems for HPC, that market won't really be impacted by a full GV100 single card option at 30% of the price.

We are left wondering what the uplift in gaming would be, Titan V already has 25% more FP32 performance, and 20% more memory bandwidth than TitanXP, plus whatever architectural enhancement there maybe. And we know GV100 is substantially better than GP100.

For comparison's sake, Quadro GP100 was also 20%~40% faster than Quadro GP102 in several applications (courtesy of more caches and registers per FLOP), despite the GP100 being 20% slower on FP32 performance.

Can we guess how much faster would a Titan V be in games compared to Titan XP?

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be driver product segmentation as well, artificially gimping performance? Yes the card is $3,000 but the Tesla is $10,000 and there's not much difference between the 2. I'm guessing since Tesla is designed mostly for multi-GPU (nvlink) and/or rack systems for HPC, that market won't really be impacted by a full GV100 single card option at 30% of the price.
No NVLink. No ECC as well probably?

I think they chose their price well. I want one (but I don’t have a use for it. :))

And SLI support since these seem not to have it.
I would say there's probably not enough PC gaming whales willing to drop 6K on two cards to warrant it, but the die probably doesn't even have the necessary SLI bridge interfaces...

I wonder if there will be driver product segmentation as well, artificially gimping performance?
NV always do that thing where they disable AA'd lines for example and maybe some other stuff as well (which they've been doing since the original Geforce released back around the turn of the millennium), but then this card does cost as much as their regular Quadros, so maybe not this time. *shrug*

I guess we know soon enough... Delivery on the 12th allegedly, that's just four days unless there's a leak from somewhere.

the die probably doesn't even have the necessary SLI bridge interfaces...
That would be my thinking as well unless SLI and NVLink are somehow backwards compatible. As these should be the same V100 chips, SLI over NVLink wouldn't be worth the space.

Also possible SLI is being replaced by PCIE the way AMD implemented Crossfire. Makes more sense with explicit multi-adapter including multiple IHVs and added PCIe lanes in HEDT segments.

TIme will tell, anyway i doubt this card is intended to run for gaming ( nor even raytracing or FP32 cases ).. so does it really need SLI ? no.. In fact for 1000$ less you buy 2x TitanXP ( and end with 9TFlops more )

Well for tensor core, ok... but other wise, you pay 2400$ for 2x Titan Titan XP and still have 24.1 Tflops vs 15....

As you said, for tensor core or even FP64... yes ofc, this what this gpu is made for... but visual professional applications, as raytracing etc. ( FP32 )... it is a no go, you buy 2x Titan XP for 2400$ meaning 24Tflops vs 15Tflops...
Titan V is squarely aimed at ML/DL crowd, it was even announced at NIPS.

They got one part of the Titan brand right, namely you know that is the best (and very expensive).

Still, for each and every incarnation you have to figure what's it actually good for :)

Hmm I thought it had the physical NVLink connectors though, same way as Quadro GP100 albeit version 2.
It would make sense to be active as this card is designed for universities/labs primarily, and other devs interested in various CUDA function testing before/outside of HPC.
You can also buy the cards as a pair from Nvidia *shrug*.

Maybe semantics that its use is limited to certain CUDA related applications-libraries/frameworks/etc.

Last edited:
Back