NPD November 2017

Quite surprised if true. I thought months of XBX preorder + true 4K narrative (fabricated by different outlets during 18 months) + cheapest console + very cheap UHD drive + still available console after the actual black friday would win November.

But Microsoft not announcing any NPD win for November (during XBX launch for shareholders and all) strongly suggests it should be true.

Switch has being almost constantly available during the whole month, it seems demand begins to stabilize. All 4 main Nintendo games are out now. With their pricing strategy they now should win most following months. But the traditional Nintendo drought has now begun...until the next Marios and Zelda...And they don't produce those games yearly.

Last edited:
Considering there were pretty much no BF or CM deals for the Switch in Nov. it shouldn't come as a surprise that it didn't do well relative to PS4/XBO. For many consumers, in their mind it was a choice between a once a year deal on PS4/XBO or a Switch that they can get at anytime at that price it was selling at.

It should easily win Dec. unless there are incredible deals on PS4/XBO for Christmas. And even then it may still win if supply holds.

Regards,
SB

Considering there were pretty much no BF or CM deals for the Switch in Nov. it shouldn't come as a surprise that it didn't do well relative to PS4/XBO. For many consumers, in their mind it was a choice between a once a year deal on PS4/XBO or a Switch that they can get at anytime at that price it was selling at.

It should easily win Dec. unless there are incredible deals on PS4/XBO for Christmas. And even then it may still win if supply holds.

Regards,
SB
What ? It won't be easy. Mario Odyssey released 2 days before the month, was the second best selling game in november, and PS4 sold double the amount of NSW.

And There are always great deals on PS4 and XB1 for Christmas. Both consoles are usually up in december. But I think XB1 will be down compared to november.

I don't follow that logic. If people bought a PS4/XBO during Nov, are they also going to buy a Switch in December? And for those who were holding out getting a Switch in the BF sales, if the price didn't drop, surely they'd still get one at the normal price? Why wait until Dec to buy the same product at the same price? I don't see any reason to think significant NSW sales were deferred to December.

I don't follow that logic. If people bought a PS4/XBO during Nov, are they also going to buy a Switch in December? And for those who were holding out getting a Switch in the BF sales, if the price didn't drop, surely they'd still get one at the normal price? Why wait until Dec to buy the same product at the same price? I don't see any reason to think significant NSW sales were deferred to December.

People, families have budgets. Nov. and Dec. are prime gift shopping holidays. Families often budget for gift purchases during BF/CM and then separately budget for gift purchases during Dec.

In that situation, they aren't going to spend their Nov. gift budget on something that isn't on sale on BF/CM. Especially when many of your average consumers still think the BEST deals of the year (especially in the USA) only happen during BF and CM. That isn't necessarily true anymore, but most of your average US consumer still believes that it is.

That doesn't necessarily mean that someone that bought a PS4/XBO during BF/CM will buy one in December. Just that people are less likely to spend their BF/CM budget on a Switch when they can buy almost anything else that is on sale during BF/CM.

In Dec. they'll be faced with a potential choice of Switch for their kid/grandkid/nephew/niece at likely retail price or a PS4/XBO at a discounted price. So far if Amazon is anything to go by, the easy choice has been the NSW (5 and 6 for the month so far) versus the others (PS4 at 17th is closest). Likely a combination of Nintendo's family friendly reputation and possibly kids asking for it.

IE the dynamics of sales in Nov. especially in the USA are heavily weighted towards what is on sale during BF/CM. Again, not saying that a PS4/XBO BF/CM buyer will buy a switch. Just that for many people there was no budget for a Switch in Nov. because it wasn't featured in a sale on BF/CM.

Regards,
SB

Assuming the information in the link is correct you have incorrect percentages there... It should be 50% for the Switch. (33% would be correct from PS4+Switch number)

Yeah, my bad.

The really aggressive sales the Xbox One and PS4 enjoyed (still enjoy really) have caused a big surge in sales for those platforms. They got into impulse buy territory. Hell, my parents bought a $189 Xbox One S so my nephew can play his Xbox One games at their house. Nintendo Switch received no price cuts at all, and thus demand didn't see the same sort of spike. If you look at Amazon charts for the month so far, Switch is doing better than either the PS4 or Xbox One by a good margin, and as I write this it sits at #2 best selling videogame product (USA). December may be pretty competitive, but I think January when things stabilize the Switch will once again take over as the best selling console on a monthly basis. The console has all the buzz right now. This isn't a knock on Sony or Microsoft, but their consoles are old news at this point. They are essentially 2013 products, and are no longer the hot new item.

But the traditional Nintendo drought has now begun...until the next Marios and Zelda...And they don't produce those games yearly.

I am not so sure. I really think the rumored January Nintendo Direct will bring along some surprises for early 2018, and I think one of those surprises will be Smash Bros. No reason to create a new Smash Bros from scratch when you can update the Wii U game and sell to a much broader audience than the Wii U build enjoyed. Metroid Prime 4 is rumored for next year, and a mainline Pokemon is possible as well. Pikmin 4 was been thought to be near completion for a long time, and could very well be looking for a good release window. Retro Studios hasn't released a game since early 2014, and likely has at least one title ready to go. Last night at the Game Awards Bayonetta 1+2 coming to Switch in February, and Bayonetta 3 announced as a Switch exclusive. Third parties are ramping up production of Switch titles as well. So while many of the upcoming releases might not hold the same weight as games like Mario Odyssey and Zelda BoTW, I do not see Switch entering the drought we are accustomed to with Nintendo. I also think its fair to say that many of Nintendo's biggest hitters are evergreen titles, and will be a key factor for Switch purchases for the duration of Switch's lifetime.

One more thing, anyone else paying attention to Switch sales in Japan where it has been outselling the PS4 by 5x? Switch is dominating Japan. It has sold well over 100k per week for quite some time now, and so signs of slowing down.

Really surprised that PS4 won.

Also I underestimated both PS4 and XB1. I knew they would see a rise YOY due to the <199 prices, but I didn't expect that much of a jump, if those numbers are true.

Last edited:
One more thing, anyone else paying attention to Switch sales in Japan where it has been outselling the PS4 by 5x? Switch is dominating Japan. It has sold well over 100k per week for quite some time now, and so signs of slowing down.

Are you paying attention to PS4 sales worldwide where it outsold the Switch by 1.4 million units last quarter? And that number will likely be even larger this quarter? PS4 is dominating worldwide. Japan only accounts for like 8% of PS4 sales. They could literally sell zero PS4's there and still be outselling Switch worldwide.

Sony just sold over 20 million units in the past year and people still want to pretend like there is a competition going on here.

I guess folks can still keep clinging to Amazon charts to make themselves feel better though.

Embarrassing for ms to loose in the u.s in the month they launched the x, and yeah I know it costs 500$ blablahblah, but still it should have been enough to at least give them a win in November. I bet that the x sold quite good (over 500k) and if it wasn’t for that the Xbox one would have sold badly ( well not badly cause selling around 900k wouldn’t have been bad but mediocre). The damage they did on the brand seems to be permanent and they keep chasing one fad after the other, first it was motion controls, now it’s Gaas .

Suits them right for not having new AAA games at launch or in the foreseeable future.

Gaas? Games as a service? Meaning the successful and useful Xbox Games Pass for new users on the platform.

Gaas? Games as a service? Meaning the successful and useful Xbox Games Pass for new users on the platform.
Gaas , meaning sea of thieves, state of decay 2 , pugb and so on. MS will never see the good days of the 360 (when they financed huge AAA new ips like mass effect and gears of war) with the way they are operating now. None of the gaas will be succesfull (even pugb , don’t see it helping the Xbox brand at all). Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo are ripping it with huge single player games.

I used to root for ms but I think that I am through with the Xbox brand.

They might have things in the work. PUBG is their closest and largest release for this year. 1X had it's time in the lime light, as did BC titles. Now they want all attention on PUBG, or at least should be focusing on that.

If that's successful, they'll move the focus to SoT and then following SoD2 or Crackdown 3.
Then we're moving into E3 timelines when the next set of exclusives are all announced for the next 12 months

This would be ... of course the best case scenario. and it wouldn't hurt if all of their remaining exclusives were actually critically reviewed.

Back