GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

GTA isn't particularly great in terms of using its sandbox for gameplay purposes, but damn it if Los Santos wasn't one of the most magnificent and believable virtual worlds to lose yourself in. MGSV had a bunch of hills, rivers and trees.

Agree 100%

GTA isn't particularly great in terms of using its sandbox for gameplay purposes, but damn it if Los Santos wasn't one of the most magnificent and believable virtual worlds to lose yourself in. MGSV had a bunch of hills, rivers and trees.

I think it depends how you play. A hugely dense, believable world with semi-predicatble but varied AI responses adds immensely to excitement of escaping pursuers or cops at a 4+ star wanted level. The well designed city, alleys, short cuts, and mass of cars and pedestrians reacting to you, the police and each other, is amazing. The strategy for evasion needs to be different at night, with fewer cars/peds, than at rush hour. Your choice of vehicle (car, bike, truck) may be critical. It's on another level from something like WATCH_DOGS and every other game I've played that tries to create a believable dense city environment.

I think GTA V's biggest achievement if that it's just-doing this and for the most part, you're really not conscious of it. People tend to spot the imperfections and GTA has far less than other games.

You know what's also amazing? I've played GTA V regularly for four years because it is such a great playground to create random mayhem and I'm still hearing new dialogue.

GTAV creates a huge sandbox, only to hold your hand extremelly tight in every mission.
This is exactly my feeling and I don't understand all the praise GTA gets for its "sandbox open world" when all u do is linear stuff ! Yes there is fantastic world with complex AI but what the hell do you do in it except police chases??? I am not ranting or hating on the game, its just that I don't get what people do in it. I enjoyed it for a while too, having random encounters with panthers at night, having a car jump that made a hilarious moment happen, getting chased by police, then chased by some panthers while I was trying to hide from th epolice, etc...........for a while they are fun but thats all there is that "happens" in this world. ALl you actually "DO" in it is linear story missions with laggy crappy controls where I always die because for some reason the character does something else or moved like it was in water.

Again, I am not hating or dissing th egame, I bought it on ps3 and 4 but I still dont get how or why ppl are spending hours and hours in it. I get why ppl play Skyrim and fallout for 300-400 hours but here its just a world and ....thats it. What essential element am I completely missing form the GTA experience?

This is exactly my feeling and I don't understand all the praise GTA gets for its "sandbox open world" when all u do is linear stuff !
Then stop doing it linearly! :yep2:

In most GTA missions you get an objective but how you achieve that is entirely down to, and limited by, your imagination. And there are plenty of non-linear, random events to ruin the best laid plans.

Then stop doing it linearly! :yep2:

In most GTA missions you get an objective but how you achieve that is entirely down to, and limited by, your imagination. And there are plenty of non-linear, random events to ruin the best laid plans.
We can't have played the same game. Every mission is littered with very specific waypoints from start to finish. The only autonomy you get is chosing ahich vehicle you rob at the start, which weapons you use during firefights (which if you play pragmactically quickly becomes the RPG and grenade laucher until they are out of ammo), and which route you take at the end to scape the police.

Some of these waypoints are ridiculously specific as well. I remember one mission where you had to fly a freight (or was it one of these big militray ones? cannot remember) helicopter with Trevor, and if you didn't manage to land the thing precicely in the middle of the yellow glowing circle, the game refused to proceed.

Usually those types of missions are due to the resulting cutscene not making sense unless the final player action was to a specific point.

Usually those types of missions are due to the resulting cutscene not making sense unless the final player action was to a specific point.
I understand, but that means they are adapting gameplay to fit the cutscene. I don't think that's the right set of priorities. Eirher say: fuck the cutscene continuity, or make your cutscenes more procedural.

We can't have played the same game. Every mission is littered with very specific waypoints from start to finish. The only autonomy you get is chosing ahich vehicle you rob at the start, which weapons you use during firefights (which if you play pragmactically quickly becomes the RPG and grenade laucher until they are out of ammo), and which route you take at the end to scape the police.

It may surprise you to know that many of the waypoints aren't mandatory and only serve to lay down a trail of breadcrumbs to your ultimate destination or target. Many (not all) can be ignored completely. Mission end waypoints usually not, but that's the case with most games.

Weapons, vehicles, routes and tactics are up to the player. Case missions rarely have any proscribed route to the target. Go replay that early Franklin mission where you're repossessing the bike. If you know the initial route of the thief, you can cut them off real quick but more than a few turns in, the thief will begin to adapt their route dependant on the player.

It was seven years ago today

When do you think they'll announce VI ?
Could we have a first teaser this year if it's releasing in two years ?

Rockstar make such great trailers!

On GTAVI, one of the writers commented that they're not even sure what they'd do for satire. The real world is too weird at the moment.

Last edited:
Rockstar make such great trailers!

On GTAVI, one of the writewr commented that they're not even sure what they'd do for satire. The real world is too weird at the moment.

So true, but surely it's got to be 'President Trump' related...maybe even a kind of House of Cards style thing going on (weird how that show reflected real life lol) where you help some 'bent' politician bribe and beat their way to power.

When do you think they'll announce VI ?
Could we have a first teaser this year if it's releasing in two years ?

I wouldn't hold your breath. The team who have worked on console (not handheld) GTA games has been Rockstar North and they just released Red Dead Redemption 2. The original Red Dead Redemption was overseen by Rockstar San Diego (with R* North assisting towards the end) but RDR2 was chiefly a R* North production.

Unless R* have passed GTA VI to another studio, you won't be seeing that for a good long while. :nope:

Unless R* have passed GTA VI to another studio, you won't be seeing that for a good long while
I want GTA VI to be a good long while. Ubisoft/EA can keep their yearly spewing out of the same games. What they have done with RDR2 is mind boggling but takes a long time.

there is no doubt GTA6 developpement is going well and has begun long ago, surely short after GTA5 release, so it's been 7 years.
The game is certainly ready to be showed in teaser form, even if it's at least two years away from release.

there is no doubt GTA6 developpement is going well and has begun long ago, surely short after GTA5 release, so it's been 7 years.
Who do you believe is developing? Rockstar North, creators of GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, GTA V and GTA Online, were working on Red Dead Redemption 2. Rockstars other studios have seemingly been working on GTA Online content.

I wouldn't hold your breath. The team who have worked on console (not handheld) GTA games has been Rockstar North and they just released Red Dead Redemption 2. The original Red Dead Redemption was overseen by Rockstar San Diego (with R* North assisting towards the end) but RDR2 was chiefly a R* North production.

Unless R* have passed GTA VI to another studio, you won't be seeing that for a good long while. :nope:
Wait, seriously? I just assumed RDR2 was made by the same team of RDR1. What has R* San Diego been doing all this time then? And the other studios? Damn, as good as these games are, they certainly aren't very prolific these days...

Back