The Amazon and Google spat. *spawn*

In this case it's not pettiness because the potential markets are HUGE. If Amazon or Google can become the de-facto media supplier in every home of several hundred million households serving a couple of billion people, that's something they'll fight for. Supplying your rival is bad for that business. Try picking up an iMac or Chromebook from the Microsoft Store. Try picking up an external BRD drive for you XB360 instead of an external HDDVD drive. The only reason Amazon allows Netflix on its Fire devices is because Netflix is a bigger draw than their video service, so they have to in order to not alienate potential customers. But if they could drop it and direct everyone onto Amazon Video instead, they would.

Competition does this. Then the competition gets together to form common bodies to help ratify standards to stop screwing with consumers because all that competition is too much and hurts their businesses. Then something new is invented and they all start trying to out-compete each other again.

Wow, Amazon really are dicks. That's akin to Google not returning anything Amazon in its search results, but streaming Prime Video content through Youtube.

Assuming the linked article is accurate, I'm more irritated by Google's move here than Amazon. Amazon not selling a product doesn't stop people getting Google hardware because it's available in lots of places but Google, in an attempt to damage Amazon, have cut of their own customers (users of their services) because they use Amazon hardware.

That's a dick move. :yep2:

It was done first on the echo show because Amazon's Youtube App was skipping youtube ads which is a big breach of use. There were other platforms that did the same and they were equally cut off swiftly with force.

However, now that Amazon has put the basic web interface into their products, the recent Google action is just a business leverage move. I can't fault Google for it. It was Amazon who started it, they caused all this themselves. Its also very odd in who Amazon considers their competitors. I wouldn't be surprised if there wont be further repercussions with Android platform against Amazon.

Wow, Amazon really are dicks.
Well, Amazon wasn't selling any Nintendo shit for years and years; I forget why tho but it was some truly petty reason IIRC. Maybe they're still aren't.

I do my best not to give Amazon any of my money because they're already way too big and powerful as it is, and having these mega corporations eating their way through everything like fucking termites, munching up one business sector after another is bad for competition, bad for customer choice, bad for society in that wealth concentrates upwards to an ever shrinking group of people, and just plain bad in general.

I heard Amazon was getting into prescription medicine next. It won't stop there of course, like it didn't after they stopped only selling books...

Why would youtube breach their own terms of service or was youtube just skipping ads for amazon ?

It wasn't YT software that was in breach, it was 3rd party like Amazon or MS on Win10 or other mfgs on their own hardware. It was Amazon opting to skip the ads by not following YT API. Then it was Amazon adding their own overlay on top of the YT Website, which is also breach of terms.

So your quote should have been
"Amazon was skipping youtube ads which is a big breach of use."

Yeah, as it was meant to be Amazon's Youtube App, except I wasnt quoting anyone. So your words should have been "your statement should have been". :p

CNet claims Amazon will start selling Apple and Google products now. https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-to-start-selling-apple-tv-and-google-chromecast/

The e-commerce powerhouse adds five Apple TV and Chromecast devices to its online store, offering an olive branch to both Google and Apple.

Amazon said Thursday that it will again be selling Apple TV and Google Chromecast devices, two video-streaming gadgets the e-commerce giant removed from its site two years ago and that compete with its own Fire TV products.

"I can confirm that we are assorting Apple TV and Chromecast," an Amazon spokeswoman told CNET on Thursday, referring to the company's plans to stock up on the devices. She offered no further statements.

Amazon added product listing pages for the Apple TV and two versions of the Apple TV 4K, as well as the Google Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra. The gadgets aren't available for sale yet, but customers should expect they will be shortly.

I know this is likely over, but remember google also killed the youtube app on windows phone when it was in its infancy (4 years ago or so). Google does not like competition. Google is a monopoly in many ways. At some point something will need to change.

Back