Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem of making it part of the Surface line is that you effectively price it out of the market, and it doesn't need to be so costly.

Also the Surface form factor isn't ideal for a handheld which doubles as a base unit, as it makes too many compromises to achieve its tablet form factor.

In my opinion the best way to make such a device would be to have a "base" unit with detachable screen. The base unit would be more akin to laptop in form factor, and the screen would simply attach to it. This would also allow Microsoft to simply sell the base unit as a non portable (without battery and screen) for people who didn't want that functionality and the extra expense that goes with it. It would also allow people to "upgrade" their base unit to a mobile later down the line.

Well, you're going to need to get the device under a certain power, and it'd be a while before that can happen on the level of Switch form factor for Xbox One capability.

Takashi Mochizuki is somewhat notorious in tech prediction industry, tweeting and re-tweeting predictions often and inconsistently. Just earlier this year he was backing PS5 for a 2018 launch, which also isn't likely, but because he's recently retweeted that, that older rumour is now surfacing and the rumour echo chamber begins anew

Wall Street is the worst at predicting this stuff. 2018 is more likely than 2020 but I see noting on the immediate tech roadmap that would provide for a decent bump from PS4 at the price point that Sony likely want to hit - the same price point that has proved most successful for them.

To me 2020 still feels right as I think 7nm will be mature enough by then so the economics make the most sense. However, I'm still not ruling out 2019. That's two years away and that is an eternity as far tech life cycles go. I'm not saying PS4 will stop selling (on the contrary, I think it could sell until 2025), but those that bought the PS4 in the launch year will be ready to upgrade. Why not provide something new for those customers?

Flagship phones go up to $1k, and there's a bit of a difference in the balance of component costs.

Wall Street is the worst at predicting this stuff. 2018 is more likely than 2020 but I see noting on the immediate tech roadmap that would provide for a decent bump from PS4 at the price point that Sony likely want to hit - the same price point that has proved most successful for them.

I think 2020 is far more likely than 2018.

Takashi Mochizuki is somewhat notorious in tech prediction industry, tweeting and re-tweeting predictions often and inconsistently. Just earlier this year he was backing PS5 for a 2018 launch, which also isn't likely, but because he's recently retweeted that, that older rumour is now surfacing and the rumour echo chamber begins anew

If the PS5 was launching in 2018, I'm pretty sure we'd have the full specs leaked by now as SDKs would be in the hands of devs as games would need to be being targeted for launch.

I have a feeling a lot of forum people are going to be incredibly disappointed by the power of the next gen of consoles, kind of like when PS4 and Xbox One were announced and people complained they weren't even remotely competitive with high-end pcs.

I have a feeling a lot of forum people are going to be incredibly disappointed by the power of the next gen of consoles, kind of like when PS4 and Xbox One were announced and people complained they weren't even remotely competitive with high-end pcs.
I sort of feel XBX is their next generation console. Shower thoughts:

2019:
XBX: exclusives announced to be delivered 2020. This will make the end of generation for XBO.
XBO ramps down production, smaller form factor maybe, device is still fully supported, developers are free to target the machine as they choose.
XBox Family: full mouse and keyboard
MS Office suite, other video editing software.
Some form of continuum feature proper web browsing.

The objective is to repurpose XBO as an all in one device, a replacement for laptops or PCs as long as you can hook it up to a 1080p monitor. This keeps the users engaged in the ecosystem while bringing new features to he platform. Think Raspberry PI type tinker device. Educational, do some development and scripting.

Becomes a device children and students will grow up with, from play to work. Minecraft to Tinker to Office.

2020-2021: Xbox 2 announced.

Last edited:
As a guess.. cost.
Yep. A 512GB flash chip like this would be around $150 based on dramxchange. A 1TB HDD today is below $40 on the BOM.

By next gen, with the bigger games with bigger assets, a 2TB minimum will be required, for around $40 if the single platter density improves enough, while 2TB flash would remain prohibitively expensive. :cry:

Did it happen mid-gen? I guess I couldn't hear the complaining over the sound of awesome robot dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back