Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw - what in-game overlay is it that people use that shows load on CPU cores, GPU, temperatures and so on floating on top of everything else?

Thanks! :D
Rivatuner Statistics Server, usually combined with and installed by MSI Afterburner.

Hm, well, not sure who to blame this on, AMD or Microsoft, but the latest catalyst driver screwed up World of Warcraft in fullscreen mode. If you alt-tab out of the game more than 1 time (or sometimes even just 1 time), the whole OS becomes just about unusable. The game still seemingly has focus (in-game mouse pointer even on windows desktop), and no desktop windows or widgets react to mouse clicks. Ctrl-alt-del works to start task manager (but you can't do anything in/with it), and windows-R works to start stuff as well, as long as one does not click anywhere before typing the command.

To quit WoW, one has to log out of the OS since alt-f4 doesn't work and I can't use task manager to kill it... *sigh*

Anyways, I always play windowed anyway. Was just checking out in-game performance in crossfire mode. Fullscreen is so impractical when switching back and forth between game and browser and so on (like while queuing for a dungeon or such.)

It's probably a Microsoft thing because it happened to me on my GeForce SLI setup too. It longer does that after a few driver revisions but I had to play windowed at that time.

The accessibility upgrade offer expires on December 31, 2017

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Afaik it's been something of an open secret that Microsoft lets anyone (just click the download button, there are no questions asked) use this path to get a free upgrade to Windows 10. Anyone who's been holding off on assisting someone in making the move might want to take this date into account. Which is not to say that Microsoft might not relent down the road. Imo it's a win for them when people make the upgrade.

Heads up provided by HardOCP: https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/10/31/free_windows_10_upgrades_end_this_year

Last edited:
the photo addon wont install for me maybe because I dont have the latest windows update
ps: you have to use bing to install it

Wretched start menu dying on me. *sigh* Microsoft... Your glorious bugs cannot be described with words mere mortals can comprehend!

*Edit:
It's worse than that. All of MS's shitty "metro" apps are somehow fucked, showing blank screens with nothing else. Some windows can be coaxed into becoming interactive (like the control panel) but others cannot.

Last edited:
With 5 Windows 10 PC's in my home, I've never had any of these kinds of issues. All custom built.

Wretched start menu dying on me. *sigh* Microsoft... Your glorious bugs cannot be described with words mere mortals can comprehend!

*Edit:
It's worse than that. All of MS's shitty "metro" apps are somehow fucked, showing blank screens with nothing else. Some windows can be coaxed into becoming interactive (like the control panel) but others cannot.

Donno what start menu dying means. Had one windows 10 installation which simply refused to show the start menu no matter what. Couldn't fix it even after reinstall. What worked was reinstall + remove all store apps that I could remove + refresh the instalation.
That was hugely frustrating , I agree. Looks like somehow they made the whole menu depend on the quality and sanity of each and every app it links to.

With apps from the store (e.g. calculator, one note) I think I'm getting the same : just blank windows whith nothing on them but the x button. They do work however, after trying once or twice more.

Just found edge case of ridiculously annoying problem in windows 10.

Turns out you can't get out of flight mode without entering the windows with wired input device.

The only workaround is by slowing down the boot process by enabling external boot, disabling secure boot, and then mashing SHIFT F8 and quickly press 5 To enter safe mode with networking.

This is a real edge case problem because my vaio tap 11:
* only have wireless keyboard
* use Bluetooth mouse
* broken touchscreen

If have wired keyboard like surface or if the touchscreen works, this won't be a problem at all

Just found edge case of ridiculously annoying problem in windows 10.

Turns out you can't get out of flight mode without entering the windows with wired input device.

The only workaround is by slowing down the boot process by enabling external boot, disabling secure boot, and then mashing SHIFT F8 and quickly press 5 To enter safe mode with networking.

This is a real edge case problem because my vaio tap 11:
* only have wireless keyboard
* use Bluetooth mouse
* broken touchscreen

If have wired keyboard like surface or if the touchscreen works, this won't be a problem at all

Just use an extremely cheap USB mouse or keyboard for that? At least in the US you can get a really cheap mouse for like 2 USD.

Regards,
SB

I've never had any of these kinds of issues.
Well, that's the thing about bugs, isn't it? For the record, two of my three self-built PCs running Win10 have been afflicted by this issue, and for your own amusement you can google up many others who joyously also experience it... :p

Donno what start menu dying means.
That it doesn't respond normally (IE, appear) when either left-clicking its button or pressing the win-key on the keyboard.

It can be tricked into popping up by pushing both mouse buttons simultaneously, but fuck, what a bother. Same thing with metro app windows appearing blank; if you right-click the start button the window will show with its proper graphics. (!) However, if the metro app opens up another window which shows as blank (like the user account management app in control panel) then this trick doesn't appear to work.

Fucking microsoft. Fix this shit already. :/

All of MS's shitty "metro" apps are somehow fucked,
Thats your problem right there! stay away from metro app's they are just a joke that MS are playing on their users

personally Im very happy with win 10, their best OS ever, the only major issue is their lack of support for hi DPI multi monitors, its hilarious way over a year now and its still a lottery if its gonna work when I start the machine up. I even messaged MS about this a few days ago

Yeah, Windows 10 is the lowest quality Windows since Windows xp in my experience.
XP? Hell, worst quality since Me! :p

Thats your problem right there! stay away from metro app's they are just a joke that MS are playing on their users
Some aspects of this you cannot avoid, because MS has converted some pieces of the OS to metro apps. Like the start menu itself, new control panel and some other bits.

Of course, they made a shitshow of the control panel, it's so fucking bad, and it's been a year and a half or whatever since Win10 launch (two years if you count first public release). There aren't any proper mouse and keyboard settings in there for example, you gotta go back to old control panel applets for that shit, and due to how they've screwed with display properties it's nearly impossible to find where to set monitor color profiles as well. Fucking unbelievable it is how shit it all is!

over a year now and its still a lottery if its gonna work when I start the machine up.
Notch it up to the ubiquity of cheap, low-quality, low-DPI monitors I suppose. Once hi-DPI displays become more widespread on PCs MS will have to dedicate more resources to fixing their DPI issues.

Only Metro stuff I use is Calculator & Settings, which are both working OK.
I did have a bunch of missing icons on Start when I clicked on it just before, but a couple of mins later they are all present, I'm guessing caught it doing a cache refresh or something?

Damn, the latest update rolled the video editor into my FCU photos app but broke STANDBY.

It also -always- remembers the apps that I opened when I restart my vaio.

Despite I already disabled all fast startup and their ilk.

Microsoft, when I reboot, I want a clean state. Stop slowing down the boot NY automatically starting previously used apps!

Okay, so my start menu is working again now, just as inexplicably as it stopped working to begin with.

On the other hand one of my GPUs have died spontaneously, while PC was in sleep mode no less. I wake it up today, it seems to come on, LEDs light up, fans start spinning but monitor is dark. I think that somehow monitor got confused and switched to a different input so I start pushing buttons. I then unplug all the other inputs, nothing works.

I notice that the capslock LED is frozen, it won't toggle when pressed. So I reset the PC since it is obviously hung and unresponsive, cursing up and down about fucking microsoft and its shitty windows and inability to make something as basic as sleep mode reliable.

So PC POSTs, I hear the speaker beep, and then the PSU relay clicks and PC shuts off. A second later it comes back on again, POSTs again, beeps speaker, seems to boot - with display still entirely dark. At least capslock works now, so I assume some bug is preventing video out from working on that output. I move cable from one DVI to the next on the same card, no change. Then first DVI on the 2nd GPU and jackpot. Monitor shows login screen.

So after logging in I go to device manager. The perpetually borked audio device which was always throwing an error on every bootup was gone, which I thought was curious. Upon flipping open the display adaptors subheading I'm greeted by just one GPU listed. The other is, as the Germans say, putz weg.

I crouch under my desk and check the LEDs next to the aux power connectors and yeah, they're glowing, so the card is receiving power. But nobody's home in there.

*shrug*

Oh well. I still have warranty on it. 2nd AMD Hawaii-based card that conks on me, assuming I can't kickstart it back to life that is. First one died with much shock and awe blowing a cap while the PC was running, stinking up my entire apartment something truly awful. PC wouldn't even turn on with it still plugged in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back