The Great Personal Audio Controversy *echo*

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Absolutely unbelievable. I mean most unix/linux/bsd types are likely going to set a root password anyway, but the average Mac user?
Apple is stringing a crazy line of missteps together (touchbar, crappy keyboards, usb-c without magnet power connector, no headphone jacks on iphones, numerous iOS bugs, the iPhone X (failing to get ultrasonic finger sensor working) and now this? Nuts.

The headphones jack thing again? Sheesh. Why are people so hung up about that, still? Either use the lightning adaptor, go native lightning, or better yet, switch to wireless BT headphones. Total storm in a teacup this is, especially as several other high-end phones have also dropped the 3.5mm jack.

Btw, wireless BT earphones = best thing since forever for portable music since the Sony DD Walkman. Indisputably true!

I have slews of 3.5mm headsets (with mic) that are conveniently located (some say strewn) about my abode. I would need to replace them all!
Fortunately, the Note 8 and LG V30 both have 3.5mm jacks.

Btw, wireless BT earphones = best thing since forever for portable music since the Sony DD Walkman. Indisputably true!
False. Why do I need to charge yet another device? Also receiver has to be somewhere too. It just add more devices.
Also interference. Bt audio on my dualshock 4 drops out sometimes.

The other thing is that I use a headset for almost all my calls unless I'm in the car (car Bluetooth then). You see I cannot move about without a headset because I'm in a wheelchair and need both hands to propel myself. Phone rings and I scurry for one of these headsets in case it's to be a longer call.

I use bluetooth a lot ~50 hours a week, so have got a lot to say (heres my blutooth headsets in last 3 years)

Just charging one of my BT earbuds ATM
1505162766149752806.jpg

meizu ep52, decent battery life 8hours, though connecting to my phone takes at least 5 minutes have to reconnect, turn off/on bluetooth on phone multiple times, bluetooth on headset multiple times before I can finally pair&connect, every single time

once thats finished I'll recharge another, cheap overear ones from k-mart
42389545-1-f.jpg

actually surprisingly good and they still work

tactix-bluetooth-hearing-protection-orange-1506068939-37660593-2aae68a3bf8478acf09b423ed2982db3-catalog_233.jpg

Just consigned these to the waste since blue tooth fucked out about 2 months ago, brand = taktix. excellent battery life though.
had the earlier meizu ep51
1511579409491739195.jpg

charging connector socket fucked out after a while so had to chuck those as they could not be charged again
backbeat-go-3-white-side.png

plantronics backbeat go, started off OK ~6hours battery though within 6 months down to 3.5 hours in a charge, goodbye
jabra-halo-fusion-review-2016-02-450x252.jpg

jabra halo fusion, decent pair (though I dont think it had track skip), battery also died on me

plus another one which I forget ATM.

Conclusion, blue tooth headsets suck, reasons

pros
* no wires

cons
* charging them,
* battery life aint good enuf, though meizu52 can do 8 hours on a charge
* connector can screw up
* blue tooth pairing issues >50% of headsets
* blue tooth connection issues
* worse sound quality
* drains phone battery quicker

why do I still use them? Im a gluten for punishment I suppose

Apple Earpods.

No hassle, no bullshit. Sounds great, no appreciable battery drain on my phone (IE, still lasts the whole day easily), no pairing hassle, they just work and they don't sound any worse than regular headsets. They sound better than the standard earpods, with noticeably fatter, deeper bass.

Haven't ever had need to keep them in my ear long enough to drain them, I just put them back in their case which charges them up. Put the case on my lightning dock maybe once or twice a week, that easily keeps the whole thing topped up. Long skype conversations tax the battery more due to mic usage/two-way communication so then I either put on a different headset or go on my PC. No problem.

Here's one single thing Apple made that actually Just Works.

But this is off-topic, so if a mod wants to spin all this shit off to its own thread I'm OK with that... :p

So my use is business calls for several hours per day. No music as I have speakers for that. I also need them quickly accessible when a call comes in which is why I keep them on various surfaces around my home. Good background noise cancellation is nice too.

Back