Theresa May : UK peeps

zed

Legend
I've only heard her speak 300-400 times, so not enuf to conclusively make a statement, but has she ever said anything concrete, sure a lot of politicians waffle on without actually saying anything but she's in a class of her own league, the only thing close I can remember is tom here
My question is, has she ever actually said anything concrete?

No.

It doesn't help that the political classes here have collectively managed to get themselves into a pickle over the past couple of years, and that we as a nation are now in a position where there's not much sensible that can be said about anything, under any circumstances. Nevertheless she seems to be giving a masterclass in how not to show leadership - despite one of her few repeated mantras being that clear leadership is what the country needs right now.

Anyway her background was as Home Secretary (~Interior Minister), so her previous day job was to try to get onerous "security" and surveillance measures past parliament and the public without them noticing. In that sort job saying nothing of substance goes with the territory. She doesn't seem to have adapted well to her new position, and the new reality that her and her party have got the country in to.

I think the expectation was that she would resign after first being named rather than elected PM after Cameron and then calling an early election to cement her position only to have everything blow up straight in her face. Yet, here she is, still. Did nobody else in the tories even want the job, so she had to keep on trucking? Or what's going on there?

Did nobody else in the tories even want the job, so she had to keep on trucking? Or what's going on there?

I'm sure a couple of the more rabid Brexiteers would have taken it (Boris Johnson, David Davis, perhaps Michael Gove), but I doubt that any of them would have won a leadership election. Anyone with any sense wouldn't touch the job with a barge-pole at this time. Current expectation is that she will quit after Brexit happens in 2019, at which point I've no idea what might happen.

TBH though when you look at what has happened in the past 18 months:

- an unnecessary referendum, leading to
- the unnecessary resignation of the Prime Minister, leading to
- an unnecessary leadership contest within the ruling party, leading to
- an unnecessary general election
- (leading to an unnecessary coalition with a bunch of fucking bigots, but we'll gloss over that)

After all of that, another unnecessary leadership contest within the ruling party within the time-frame of some of the most complex and critical negotiations in recent British history ... well what's to say really. So I think that there are enough sane heads in the Tory party not to force the issue at this time.

Some of my left-leaning mates reckon May will be gone by next spring, followed by the election of Johnson as Tory leader/PM, who will make such a hash of the job that there'll be a general election, won by Jeremy Corbyn, who will call a halt to Brexit. I mean, I guess stranger things have happened, but it does seem a bit like wishful thinking to me.

In that sort job saying nothing of substance goes with the territory. She doesn't seem to have adapted well to her new position, and the new reality that her and her party have got the country in to.
OK thanks that explains it. I'm not anti May or anything as I dont know enuf about her, I just thought it was funny every time I hear her speak its so noticeable that she never actually says anything, its all 'building bridges' and 'moving forward' etc and never about what exactly are they going to do

May was a flipping useless Home Secretary and has segued on to being a flipping useless Prime Minister.

She's so far out of her depth (and she knows it) that I almost feel sorry for her as she's clearly utterly miserable. I don't actually feel sorry for her, of course, as a Tory Prime Minister will always make the poorest suffer whilst feathering the nests of their wealthy backers. Comes as part of the job description.

I get the feeling that, despite protestations to the contrary, Corbyn and the Labour Party in general, really don't want another election during the next year or so. Brexit is entirely a Tory construct and they need to own the coming clusterf*ck fully. I think it will take a catastrophic dip in the economy (which is actually possible), to make a second referendum become even a possibility, but I don't think it will happen regardless.

OK thanks that explains it. I'm not anti May or anything as I dont know enuf about her, I just thought it was funny every time I hear her speak its so noticeable that she never actually says anything, its all 'building bridges' and 'moving forward' etc and never about what exactly are they going to do

Basically, they don't know what they are going to do.

Neither side really had a plan. The remainers didn't expect to lose, Cameron's government explicitly forbade making contingency plans for a Leave vote. Most of the leavers didn't expect to win, and didn't really have a plan other than "leave, then figure it out", which sounds great as a campaign slogan if you're not expecting to win, but it's not really a good way to govern a country. Some of the more sane Leavers know this.

May was a remainer, or she said she was. She certainly wasn't a rabid Brexiteer, though she didn't like the CJEU interfering in her anti-civil-libertarian machinations as Home Secretary.

Within the Leave camp there is a very broad spectrum of views on what the future should look like. Consequently they are struggling to come up with anything that sounds like a coherent and sensible plan to move the UK to a future that isn't a catastrophic cluster-fuck. They don't know what they're doing.

Once the Brexit vote went through, it was clear that the best and brightest minds needed to be in charge of the process to ensure we got the best (well, least bad) outcome.

David Davis, Boris Johnson and the disgraced Liam Fox are far, far, far from the best and brightest minds. Quite the opposite, in fact. Bojo probably has the intellectual capacity to do a competent job but he sees the world through a "What's good for me and screw everyone else" lens so will never do the 'right' thing. I wouldn't trust the other two to be able to find their own arses using both hands. We're DOOOMED!

Back