All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but most of the people on this and similar forums will be ready for the next-gen, having been on PS4/X1 for a full 5-6 years.

Interesting part is, will we see the same jump as we did from PS360 when PS5/XB Next comes? Or will it be more like the PS2/Xbox that ran in parallell for a good while.

Sure but most of the people on this and similar forums will be ready for the next-gen, having been on PS4/X1 for a full 5-6 years.
People on forums like this are the first to buy consoles at launch, while casual gamers buy when consoles hit sub 200-250. The casual market is a much larger audience and they can really extend the life of a console.

If game makers continue to support PS4, it could have a long life after PS5 is out.

PS4 probably won't hit the same low price of the PS2, and it has more competition; but it should easily pass PS1 sales.

People on forums like this are the first to buy consoles at launch, while casual gamers buy when consoles hit sub 200-250. The casual market is a much larger audience and they can really extend the life of a console.

If game makers continue to support PS4, it could have a long life after PS5 is out.

PS4 probably won't hit the same low price of the PS2, and it has more competition; but it should easily pass PS1 sales.

They forecast 79 millions shipped consoles end of march 2018. They will only miss 23 millions of shipped consoles to reach PS1 sales.

If the PS5 is out fall 2019, they will reach it a few months after the PS5 release date. If it is fall 2020 maybe a few months before ..

I can imagine a PS4 Super Slim would be successful, not as a primary console, but as an indie game and media streaming box.

No optical drive, user upgradeable MicroSD card instead of an HDD, with an SoC manufactured on 7nm, and the relative lack of cooling that should require.

Make every PS4 capable of Remote Play from another PS4 or PS5, and there's a reason for people to buy a PlayStation for every room. Especially if they upgrade PSNow to enable you to stream any game you own digitally.

We know that in UK it was really close with last year's BF, but most likely sales were up in US and other territories now with lower price.

I think XBO-X was targeted not only at maintaining their current user base but equally to expand on it slightly by getting people who had switched to the PlayStation platform to come back and spend money on the Xbox platform. BC, upgraded BC titles, and technically superior (even if the differences would be difficult to tell without a side by side comparison) multiplatform titles all help accomplish both of those goals.

Regards,
SB

Did not notice this before now, but does BC and BC upgrades really matter?
With all the new stuff getting released all the time, who has time to replay? And why would I want to?

Personally I do not see the charms :)

It matters, especially when you get 2 free BC games a month. It matters, when your backlog of games and/or games you own on the BC platform is easily over 150 games already. It matters, when the series of games from the best exclusives of the platform are on the game rental service (xbox games pass).

TL,DR: It matters.

Did not notice this before now, but does BC and BC upgrades really matter?
With all the new stuff getting released all the time, who has time to replay? And why would I want to?

Personally I do not see the charms :)

For this, it's important because say a person switched to the PlayStation platform with this generation after having games on X360 and/or Xbox and hasn't touched an XBO the entire time. When thinking about possibly coming back and getting an XBO-X, fond memories combined with a potential library of X360/Xbox titles makes it more enticing for them to come back to the platform as they'll have an instant library of games to play. And not only that the games that they used to play might actually look and play better than they did when they played them on X360.

That mitigates the pain of switching back if you already have an instant library on hand. This, of course, is only relevant if your games were either digitally purchased or they kept their physical copies.

Personally I know a few people that were extremely excited to get to play a visually upgraded version of Halo 3 after not bothering with the Xbox brand having switched to PlayStation at the start of the generation. Not all of them have since gotten an XBO-X, but many of them have. So, this is purely anecdotal, but it represents new revenue streams for MS even if it has done nothing to expand the overall console user base.

Regards,
SB

Well from the tea leaves so far I think one conclusion could be drawn, it doesn't seem Switch will win Nov (of course famous last words, but still).

So to me it comes down to can Xbox one X's launch sales week overcome the fact Ps4 likely won Black Friday significantly (from what scattered info we have).

For instance, UK BF sales were supposedly approximated something like PS4 143k+, Xbox 90-100k, Switch ~60k. This is likely a harbinger for what the USA looks like.

Amazon charts for November it was pointed out actually looks strong for Xbox in relative positioning YoY vs 2016, so that might be a good sign for Xbox.

It is a bit surprising Switch seems to have plenty of stock and Mario and did not do gangbusters. Core consoles look strong, and as much as switch is defined as a core console that probably hurts it (just as as much as it's not defined as a core console helps it). because IMO it's not going to beat core consoles on their own turf.

Well currently it is out of stock.

Edit: Back in stock.

For the month Dec, the XBX and the $199 BF1 bundle on amazon have sold better.

Last edited:
Yes Xbox won Amazon ranking for November (likely because PS4 sellouts but nonetheless).

Which Amazon used to be undefeated then lost a couple so I stopped keeping track.

According to Era "it's like 30-2".

Alright I'm putting my prediction on the line: Xbox wins November!

I think a glut of Xbox One X's selling the first week of November (after which they slowed down) plus 189 S selling well on BF plus PS4 sellouts plus also ran Switch do the trick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back