Project Cars 2: The Soul of Motorsport [PS4, XO].

Noone playing this game?
Bought this instead of GTSport, since I also own and enjoyed the first Project Cars.
Haven't played for more than an hour or two, but so far it's fun.

Anyone owns both this and GTS and can tell me anything about difficulty?
PC2 with all damage on is pretty hard.
Driving a kart and sliding through corners makes wheels come lose and change driving behaviour drastically, which makes it hard to win a race. (and I just suck at racing games too)
I have no idea whether there is any performance impact in GTS when crashing.

I have it on PC. Feels like a harder game, and definitely has a huge amount of features and details that make it closer to an actual simulation which I wish PD would have added considering Kazunor'is real life experience with the sport.
You can enable damage for GTS in the custom races in the arcade mode. The performance is affected but it is less advanced compared to PC2 judging from the beta.
In PC2 I also find the wheel/tire locking a bit too much compared to GTS and F7 or maybe thats how it should be?
Not sure

I couldn’t abide Project Cars last time I tried it - the game just didn’t feel right and I couldn’t fix it. I watched the InsideSimRacing review of the sequel and although it has many positives, it still left me disheartened to try it again. Especially the AI issues shown, and the online still being a question mark means I am happy sticking to GT Sport for now. Maybe I’ll have a go after a few patches have hit.

I've got both games and I would definitely recommend PCars 2. They improved a lot the feeling of the car on a wheel and the sound is overall much better.
GTS is extremely good looking, but on the wheel it doesn't get closer to the simulation PCars 2 offer.

Plus the amount of customization you can make on PCars 2...it's in another league to be honest.

I'm waiting until they patch the game to usable form and then I'll buy it (maybe next patch will do it), GTS is really extremely good looking game but that's all she wrote ...

I'm waiting until they patch the game to usable form and then I'll buy it (maybe next patch will do it), GTS is really extremely good looking game but that's all she wrote ...
That's a bit harsh IMO. Yeah it's light on content compared to other GTs, but content will be added. And it has arguably the best online racing experience on any platform.

It's not just some graphical showpiece, it's clear that their focus was online/multiplayer.

After playing a bit more I found that the AI isn't all that bad in normal weather, but as soon as it starts to rain, they slow down so hard that you don't even have to drive fast to win.
On one track I was about 5 seconds behind in a race (and couldn't catch up). Then it started to rain and I won easily with 20 seconds ahead.

I do like the race engineers input on car settings. It makes it easier to change the cars behaviour, without having to go in depth on all the settings yourself.

After playing a bit more I found that the AI isn't all that bad in normal weather, but as soon as it starts to rain, they slow down so hard that you don't even have to drive fast to win.
On one track I was about 5 seconds behind in a race (and couldn't catch up). Then it started to rain and I won easily with 20 seconds ahead.

I do like the race engineers input on car settings. It makes it easier to change the cars behaviour, without having to go in depth on all the settings yourself.
AI might adjust realistically to weather but if your driving options include more assists that what is considered normal, I believe thats probably why you can keep going faster in harsh weather conditions

AI might adjust realistically to weather but if your driving options include more assists that what is considered normal, I believe thats probably why you can keep going faster in harsh weather conditions
I have all my assists set to realistic. Things like steering and brake assist are off, ABS and such depend on the car you drive with.
So either I drive too slow to have rain affect me (which is an option, seeing how I race) or I forgot to turn off an assist somewhere.

I have all my assists set to realistic. Things like steering and brake assist are off, ABS and such depend on the car you drive with.
So either I drive too slow to have rain affect me (which is an option, seeing how I race) or I forgot to turn off an assist somewhere.
Then I take it back :p

Project Cars 2 have demo on all major platforms now, funny thing is that demo is based on a newer build than actual in-game version 2.0. But honestly they need to patch bugs that are there since Project Cars 1 first.

I found a very frustrating bug in races where you can start with a formation lap.
When starting from pole, and at the end of the lap, the second car will drive past you to first place or, when you want to block them from doing so, bump right into you, resulting in a penalty for the player, but not for the AI driver.
And when I set the setting to off, so you only get control at the start of the race, the AI driver in second place will still drive past you so you start from second place.

Frustrating, specialy the first bit, since you get a 5 second penalty at minimum and sometimes even a drive through when you get bumped more than once.

I've got both games and I would definitely recommend PCars 2. They improved a lot the feeling of the car on a wheel and the sound is overall much better.
GTS is extremely good looking, but on the wheel it doesn't get closer to the simulation PCars 2 offer.

Plus the amount of customization you can make on PCars 2...it's in another league to be honest.

I just started PC2 so my opinion is problem not based on much, but I don't think that is a good recommendation. GTS is a very good progression loop. They teach you how to drive, how to corner, brake, teach you the tracks. You earn you xp and milage and keep unlocking stuff. IF you stick with it you actually get better and have a sense of accomplishment. Now they are adding a driver campaign to GTS.

PC2 seems like a tweakers dream, but gamer nightmare. What am I supposed to do? I picked the lowest campaign spot I could and I got dumped on a track in mini-indie cars. What happened to the idea of starting in hatchback and learning the tracks? Maybe I missed something, but that is because the UI is hard to follow. Then there was the fact I could never keep my car on the track. I can jump into any GT or FM game and drive fine, but in PC2 my cars felt like it was on plastic wheels no matter what track or setting I choose. My backend would just slide out, I'd go off the raod into the rails for not apparent reason, the driving line was greee and I was not going fast. I tried assist levels and controller options. SO this may be "realistic", but it certainly isn't friendly to a casuaul driving fan where Forzaand GT both are.

I just started PC2 so my opinion is problem not based on much, but I don't think that is a good recommendation. GTS is a very good progression loop. They teach you how to drive, how to corner, brake, teach you the tracks. You earn you xp and milage and keep unlocking stuff. IF you stick with it you actually get better and have a sense of accomplishment. Now they are adding a driver campaign to GTS.

PC2 seems like a tweakers dream, but gamer nightmare. What am I supposed to do? I picked the lowest campaign spot I could and I got dumped on a track in mini-indie cars. What happened to the idea of starting in hatchback and learning the tracks? Maybe I missed something, but that is because the UI is hard to follow. Then there was the fact I could never keep my car on the track. I can jump into any GT or FM game and drive fine, but in PC2 my cars felt like it was on plastic wheels no matter what track or setting I choose. My backend would just slide out, I'd go off the raod into the rails for not apparent reason, the driving line was greee and I was not going fast. I tried assist levels and controller options. SO this may be "realistic", but it certainly isn't friendly to a casuaul driving fan where Forzaand GT both are.
For my recommendation I assumed you are experienced into Sims and have a wheel.
If that's not the case. Either Forza or GTS would be better indeed.

Plus you mentioned the progression path. I for example, hate this locked/ unlock thing that these games have nowadays.

But you seems to enjoy. Seems to like daily prizes for completing this or that. In this sense, I'm sorry for not thinking of this perspective before and saying pCARS2 was better choice.

Trade in your PCars2 and get gran turismo or Forza. I saw gran turismo going on some crazy sales this black Friday. Plus the amount of second hand games on the store for gran turismo was insane.

Consider buying a wheel. That makes a difference that can't be factored in racing on a pad.
PCars2 has a lot of info that is missed on a pad. Puddles, tail sliding, grip... you can only react and feel those on a wheel.

Yes, I'm using a gamepad. I already own FM6 and GTS, so I set. I'm looking for a deal on the T150. I was just trying to make the point that it is not a clear choice for most gamers, PC2 is more niche than other games.

Back