What desktop speakers do people recommend?

Speakers shouldn't affect digital data in a monitor cable because it's a static magnetic field which isn't inducing any currents into the cable. You must have some source of EMI in your vicinity... Or maybe your cable is simply bad, and it's not interference from outside which is the real culprit here... :p

The amplifiers are built-in, so the soundcard (analogue) signal goes through the cable to the monitors.

You don't think the source of the interference is rather inside the monitor itself then? Cheap amps integrated into stuff are often poorly designed/shielded and pick up various interference from nearby electronics. My brand new corsair headset for example picks up EMI from the pulse wave modulated LED illumination built into the headset. I can hear faint, high-pitched squealing as the LEDs fade on and off. And that's a fairly costly headset too... /facepalm

You don't think the source of the interference is rather inside the monitor itself then? Cheap amps integrated into stuff are often poorly designed/shielded and pick up various interference from nearby electronics. My brand new corsair headset for example picks up EMI from the pulse wave modulated LED illumination built into the headset. I can hear faint, high-pitched squealing as the LEDs fade on and off. And that's a fairly costly headset too... /facepalm

No, because simply touching the cables sometimes produces (observable, obvious) interference. Rearanging my cables randombly also brings the interference to or close to 0. Unless a phone which tries to conect through GPRS protocol is in very close proximity

Also my monitors are massive (8 inch low drivers , 125W RMS each) , mid-end, Fostex-es . So I don't think they get much living ouside genuine music production. In a studio where there's more stuff going on I expect that noticeable interfearence would get punished imediately hence they wouldn't be a viable product

Last edited:
Is there a price limit/range?
Stereo or surround?
How much space is there?
What will it be mostly used for? Desk monitors are usually good for mid-range audio (e.g. accoustic recordings and classical music), but they won't be the best deal for games, movies, or other kinds of music like pop and house.

For example, I really like Creative's T4 series. They're really powerful but compact enough to put in the car and take them to weekends on cabins in the woods with friends (yeah I'm the one who takes the electronics with me).
But if you want to play games then a surround setup like the Logitech Z906 have great sound and can be found for a little over 200€ nowadays, if you look out for promotions.
If you want to play games but can't have surround, then the Z623 that you can find for a little over 100€ are also great (though not as flexible as the T4).

Also, why are your speakers dying? My Gigaworks S750 from 2004 are still kicking hard.
That was some damn good purchase.

Generally monitors are shielded. Bu the cables to them might not be (i personnaly have this issue, at least)
Yeah I was commenting/asking because obviously most monitors are designed for audio playback for professional recording and there are specific monitors that state they're shielded for computer use. M-Audio AV40 state magnetically shielded and AV42 don't.

Amazon CyberMonday has a couple of Logitech 2.1 setups on sale. The Z323 and the Z523 with the latter being 50 percent off. If you're still looking that is.

Amazon CyberMonday has a couple of Logitech 2.1 setups on sale.
Yes, well, I'm pretty sure now I'll go with the Audio Pro Addon T8L... I'm fairly spoiled by my Sonos setup sound quality-wise; it would be hard to step back to another plastic-y Logitech setup with a flat, boomy sub like the one I already own. Thanks for the tip, tho! Appreciate the effort. :D

Wonder if "cyber monday" is a thing in Europe. *shrug* Anyway, I try to buy as little as possible from Amazon. Jeff Bezos is already good for 100 billion dollars, ugh.

My old Creative T10's in my office just died. I might try out a pair of these Edifers with the remote and mount them to my ceiling.

If you have a DAC/pre-amp (or don't mind using motherboard analog out and Windows volume control), I can highly recommend the JBL 305 and 308 monitors. I picked up a pair of 305s on Amazon last month for $99 each, if you keep an eye out you'll find a good deal soon. They were considered the gold standard in the under $300 range in all the research I did and I have to say as someone who has used a fair amount of high-end audio gear I am very impressed for the price. There is slight hum due to the Class D amp but you can't hear it unless you get really close or if you're actually using them.

Last edited:
Interesting: https://www.techpowerup.com/240458/razer-launches-new-nommo-speaker-line

I'm cautious of Razer stuff, considering their driver software fine print allows them unspecified data gathering powers off of peoples' PCs, but these speakers actually look interesting. And they're just speakers. How bad could they possibly be? :p Just hook them up over a dumb interface like line in or optical toslink and there's no danger of any digital tomfoolery...

Interesting: https://www.techpowerup.com/240458/razer-launches-new-nommo-speaker-line

I'm cautious of Razer stuff, considering their driver software fine print allows them unspecified data gathering powers off of peoples' PCs, but these speakers actually look interesting. And they're just speakers. How bad could they possibly be? :p Just hook them up over a dumb interface like line in or optical toslink and there's no danger of any digital tomfoolery...

"Razer Nommo Pro USD$499.99/ €99"

Take that, USA! Ha!

Yeah, well, I assume that's a misprint... Would probably be a bit too good to be true, or else it is revenge for all the aggregate years where currency conversion exchange rates have penalized euros vs. murricans. :p

Back