All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think November sales will be like this:
Nintendo Switch - 1,7M
Xbox One - 1,5M (XBox One S - 1 M, Xbox One X - 500K)
Playstation 4 - 1,4M

Power spread is greater, but so is the price. Core fans will jump on it, casuals will struggle to justify $500. It's simply too much for it to maintain much of a higher share than PS4 Pro IMO.

PS4 Pro didn't see a big sales spike because the power spread is smaller and Sony didn't push it nearly as much, but it seems to be selling steadily, thanks in large part to the relatively small price difference. Plus I think Sony could easily drop the price at this point.

Newer midrange PC video cards, PS4 Pro price drop, and even base PS4/XB1S price drops, will all negatively affect XB1X.

Amazon currently has a Destiny 2 PS4 Pro bundle for $349. TBH that's the first real discount I recall on a upgraded console. That's a pretty sweet deal.

I dont think deals like that really threaten Xbox X for the standalone consumer because it's in a class by itself though or at least has been effectively marketed as such.

hmm... not bad at all for the premium box.
https://wccftech.com/gamestop-xbox-one-x-good-start-demand/

“Continuing its hardware, the recently launched Xbox One X is off to a very strong start.”, Bartel said during GameStop’s most recent financial earnings call with investors. “We sold out our entire market leading allocation in two days and we are seeing the product sale as soon as it hits the shelves. He added that he believes that demand on Microsoft’s new console will exceed supply. “Again, we do believe that demand will outstrip supply on this console, and we will continue to be the best most informed place to purchase it.”

Amazon currently has a Destiny 2 PS4 Pro bundle for $349. TBH that's the first real discount I recall on a upgraded console. That's a pretty sweet deal.

I dont think deals like that really threaten Xbox X for the standalone consumer because it's in a class by itself though or at least has been effectively marketed as such.
349 for the D2 PS4 Pro is a great deal, of course it's a threat to XB1X. The casual gamer might consider a $350 Pro as it's far more affordable, and they'll see it is as a similar product for much less. It is currently ranked 10 on the hourly chart. XB1X is in stock and ranked 54.

The 199 1TB PS4 is out of stock and is dropping in the ranks. XB1S went on sale and is currently ranked 2nd.
There's no supply issues now, 2 weeks after launch - not quite sure what will change this situation, we can be fairly certain there will be no black friday deals. There is the issue of Christmas, but I do think we've seen the peak of sales now.
You might be right, I might have overestimated the demand for XB1X a bit. It is in stock at many places now and is already no longer near the top of any online sales charts. But this might be due to Black Friday deals, who knows.
Well, according to Gamestop's sales chart, XB1X is way back on the 3rd page and has been in stock for at least a few days ($349 PS4 Pro is on page 1 for comparison). Seems like MS is keeping up with demand just fine, at least at Gamestop.

https://www.gamestop.com/browse

Last edited:
349 for the D2 PS4 Pro is a great deal, of course it's a threat to XB1X. The casual gamer might consider a $350 Pro as it's far more affordable, and they'll see it is as a similar product for much less. It is currently ranked 10 on the hourly chart. XB1X is in stock and ranked 54.

The 199 1TB PS4 is out of stock and is dropping in the ranks. XB1S went on sale and is currently ranked 2nd.

You might be right, I might have overestimated the demand for XB1X a bit. It is in stock at many places now and is already no longer near the top of any online sales charts. But this might be due to Black Friday deals, who knows.

Well, according to Gamestop's sales chart, XB1X is way back on the 3rd page and has been in stock for at least a few days ($349 PS4 Pro is on page 1 for comparison). Seems like MS is keeping up with demand just fine, at least at Gamestop.

https://www.gamestop.com/browse
those lists are way too volatille to provide insight into the sales unfortunately.
the month view is probably still the most reliable from Amazon, Xbox One X is still holding at 21, scorpio edition dropping back to 23. 1S coming to 39 and PS4 holding at #4.

those lists are way too volatille to provide insight into the sales unfortunately.
the month view is probably still the most reliable from Amazon, Xbox One X is still holding at 21, scorpio edition dropping back to 23. 1S coming to 39 and PS4 holding at #4.
With the amazon chart, my point was that a $349 PS4 Pro is absolutely a threat to XB1X, not necessarily that I think PS4 Pro will outsell XB1X for the month. I fully expect XB1X to outsell PS4Pro in November, but sales are definitely slowing quicker than I thought.

I brought up the gamestop chart in response to the article you posted. It's on page 3 of their charts and it has been in stock for several days, so they seem to be keeping up with demand just fine.

For us Canadians, that link will take you to a page asking if you want to continue to the gamestop site or go to ebgames. You have to copy/paste the gamestop.com/browse link in your browser when you're on that page and enter it again.

Last edited:
I think an important threat to xb1x is the pro's 1 year advantage, in a situation where the next gen isn't 7 years away, but 2 to 4 years at best.

And the userbase is the one accumulated since 2013. It doesn't reset mid-gen.

I brought up the gamestop chart in response to the article you posted. It's on page 3 of their charts and it has been in stock for several days, so they seem to be keeping up with demand just fine.
when I checked it fell back to page 11.
It's moving way too fast, I'm not sure how they determine 'best sellers', and if that's online only or brick and mortar included. There is definitely enough supply however.

I think an important threat to xb1x is the pro's 1 year advantage, in a situation where the next gen isn't 7 years away, but 2 to 4 years at best.

I think MS are trying to prevent a complete reset at any point, with their approach to BC and upgrades.

I think we have to take it at face value from when we first got a glimpse at mid gen refresh in general. They said it would be premium and mid gen, and yea the next gen is coming.
The only thing MS can do to prolong the life of 1X is that when they launch next gen 2-4 years from now, only XBO / S drops off. 1X stays around.

Forgot to mention that I clicked on the 'show 50' per page at the bottom (default is 12 I think, which would explain it). I still see it on page 3, which puts it >100.

The hourly charts are fine for showing trends. Again my point was to show that the Pro Destiny bundle is a hot item right now and it is definitely a threat to XB1X. I'm not surprised that XB1X sales are slowing down because BF week is always about the lowest priced SKUs, but I am surprised that it is slowing down this quickly.

FWIW there are currently 6 PS4 SKUs in the top 50 at gamestop and 1 XB1 SKU (XB1S).

Remember that the large majority of November sales usually happen on Black Friday. It seems like Sony is easily winning Black Friday so far, but because of the XB1X launch, things should be interesting. I still say MS edges Sony for the month, but Sony takes December comfortably.

Last edited:
That PS4 D2 bundle is killer, but if stock is low or it isn't wide spread it won't change numbers much. The PS4 1TB went OOS on Amazon, it was #1 I think, now the Xbox 1 bundle is on and doing well. I guess it will boil down to who shipped enough BF stock to meet demand. I don't see the XBX doing much at the end of the month. No deals and the core who wanted it have it.

Things are already going differently this gen - X1S introduced an upclocked GPU, then PS4Pro introduced an altogether enhanced GPU and faster CPU, then X1X blew everything else this gen out of the water. Anything's possible at this point, and an upgraded successor to the $250 old and struggling system, still sitting below the brand new $499 system is both an option for the market and easily able to offer upgraded experiences, as we've already seen from the X1X.

X1X Lite, or Slim, or whatever, could exist below the $499 system and be more appealing than the current X1S, IMO.
No.

That PS4 D2 bundle is killer, but if stock is low or it isn't wide spread it won't change numbers much. The PS4 1TB went OOS on Amazon, it was #1 I think, now the Xbox 1 bundle is on and doing well. I guess it will boil down to who shipped enough BF stock to meet demand. I don't see the XBX doing much at the end of the month. No deals and the core who wanted it have it.
Already sold out, like the $199 ps4 (also sold out at Bestbuy). Exactly like I thought. The regular Pro model is sold out too on amazon

Forgot to mention that I clicked on the 'show 50' per page at the bottom (default is 12 I think, which would explain it). I still see it on page 3, which puts it >100.

The hourly charts are fine for showing trends. Again my point was to show that the Pro Destiny bundle is a hot item right now and it is definitely a threat to XB1X. I'm not surprised that XB1X sales are slowing down because BF week is always about the lowest priced SKUs, but I am surprised that it is slowing down this quickly.

FWIW there are currently 6 PS4 SKUs in the top 50 at gamestop and 1 XB1 SKU (XB1S).

Remember that the large majority of November sales usually happen on Black Friday. It seems like Sony is easily winning Black Friday so far, but because of the XB1X launch, things should be interesting. I still say MS edges Sony for the month, but Sony takes December comfortably.
I agree. I don't think 1X should do all that well during BF week. People are looking for deals and there are none with 1X.

No.

Already sold out, like the $199 ps4 (also sold out at Bestbuy). Exactly like I thought. The regular Pro model is sold out too on amazon
Wow most of the PS4 SKUs are sold out at amazon (1TB Slim, Pro and Destiny Pro bundle). If Sony doesn't re-stock, then it seems like amazon didn't have nearly enough inventory to meet demand, and we probably can't use amazon's charts as any sort of measuring stick.

Gamestop's deal is even better and they still have stock. Currently top of their hourly chart.
edit: nm, gamestop is sold out of the 1TB Slim + $50 GC.
Most stores are sold out of the 1TB PS4 Slim. Either Sony dropped the ball, or stores are holding stock for Black Friday to actually start; my guess is the latter.

Last edited:
For the year X1X is 53 on amazon and PS4 Pro is 83. so, X1X outsold all year of PS4 Pro just in two weeks? That seems pretty good.

I'm not really sure how accurate Amazon listings are TBH. Or how often they update.

As for selling out, Amazon sells out of almost anything on halfway decent sale seems like.

They sure do. They sold out of a lot of physical copy games, already today.

For the year X1X is 53 on amazon and PS4 Pro is 83. so, X1X outsold all year of PS4 Pro just in two weeks? That seems pretty good.

I'm not really sure how accurate Amazon listings are TBH. Or how often they update.

As for selling out, Amazon sells out of almost anything on halfway decent sale seems like.

That is impressive (I saw it at 48), be interesting to see where it ends up at the end of the year. Last year was XBOs @ 50 PS4 @ 51 and Pro @ 57...but how close were XBO & PS4 last year in reality? Also did the Pro sell nearly the same amount of Pro in less than 2 months compared to the PS4 throughout the year? I highly doubt it...but interesting none the less.

Some guy named "Benji" on Neogaf who seems to be hinting around he has data (aka probably works at one of the big 5 chains and has access to chainwide sales data data) said

Temper those Switch expectations.

Don't temper PS4 OR Xbox

Probably worth the e-paper it's printed on but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back