Star Wars Battlefront 2 (SW:BF2)

They're trying to find a way to monetize the game while not segmenting the user base by selling map packs. There was always going to be a drawback to giving people new maps for free, and I guess this is it.
The easier way to is remove loot boxes entirely and just let people purchase the heroes they want to purchase. Nothing fair about one person spending $8 and another $80 to unlock the same hero. Or leave loot boxes in (as part of the regular experience), and let people buy the items they want if they don't want to leave it to the RNG gods (my preference).
Certainly nothing cool about spending 40 hours of grinding it lol.

Unless your name is 'Destiny', DOTA, LOL, PUBG, Diablo 3, Overwatch, Battlefield don't expect your customer base to have that long of an attention span with your game.

Apparently, even the „free“ DLC content such as heros needs to be unlocked by the same system, rumors say prices could be even higher.

If you play 40h it also means you spend no credit on cards and boxes, i.e. no progress no progress to unlock Vader. It is faster the first days as the first challenges are easy...but total amount of credits in challenges is not enough for one high price hero.

Note that the user also did not count loading times etc, just pure gameplay to estimate duration.

DICE...rly?

This is so disgusting, that my stupid sheep modus was disrupted and I did not(!) buy the game today.

Certainly nothing cool about spending 40 hours of grinding it lol.

Unless your name is 'Destiny', DOTA, LOL, PUBG, Diablo 3, Overwatch, Battlefield don't expect your customer base to have that long of an attention span with your game.

The problem is that it is your basic hero of this fantasy and that u can buy it.
If it was just a 40 hour quest, it would be just a game design decision. Hardcore players would get it others wont. The point is it is a basic hero of the game and it has to be bought. The 40 hour( double that if u want to play normally and actually enjoy ur game) isnt there to make it feel elite, it is there to encourage buying it off. There is a huge difference betweeen having Elite content in a RPG and making ur basic hero unattainable unless u bleed playing the game or buy it.

There si aclear difference between an RPG end game mechanic and a marketing ploy unless you want to just generalize it into a wise crack. We have always had end game unlocks which are quirky, like the Skull face Big Boss skin in MGS4 or any other game for that matter. This is like saying buy MGS or FF, then either spend 100 hours to unlock Snake or Noctis or buy it for 60$ again ! It is murder of a game :rolleyes:

In other news, I played the trial and th ecampaign actually seems to be exciting stuff. Will get it next year to play campaign for cheap. MP is just weird. I Guess I am not the target audience anyway as I did not grow up on star wars and find all those Pew Pew sounds very uninteresting.

I'll play the single player campaign when it hits Vault in the next 6 months.

Game looks pretty gorgeous on Xbox X in HDR. Although some third person character models have issues (I noticed the hair on Han Solo looked stupid depending on angle).

However I noticed it released Tuesday (today) if you buy the $80 deluxe edition, $60 edition isn't available until Friday. Kinda obnoxious.

Last edited:
I had a really bad glitch on the EA access trial just now, in campaign. For some reason the game sped up drastically, like operating in fast forward, very weird. This persisted through some deaths and IIRC even a level restart! Only quitting the game fixed it. It was just after I landed the tie fighter on the ship.

It was really funny, like an old VHS tape sped up. Played the same, just in like 8X speed (so kinda unplayable).

The game seems fairly deep, colorful, graphically impressive, and content packed though, microtransaction stuff aside. It's fun to play Arcade as Vader or Kylo. At a look anyway. It has a lot of modes etc. But I dont know if say, the MP gameplay would hold up or anything like that. I kinda enjoyed the change of pace with space flying battles and ground fighting in the campaign.

Oh and for overall looking fantastic there are weird things, like the rebel troops look kinda terrible, out of place. Storm troopers with their glossy armor look great, but actual drab rebels look kinda bad, almost like 2d.

I also tried it on my One and also my One X. the One is just a blurry version. Really dulls the impact, although your grandma might not notice.

Played a few hours of the campaign on the X, it's better than I imagined actually, very nice graphics and cool space battles, the HDR is particularly sweet. Really wish they would use this engine for a new Force Unleashed game, yeah I know it's not gonna happen.

I played some MP today. Can't say I surprised, totally frustrating experience. Getting killed from people across the map you never see, killed by equipment I don't have, unclear objectives, OP heroes - typical Dice game. I think I will stick to the the smaller modes without heroes and the space combat.

Anyone encountered some flickering during some pre rendered cinematics? Usually lasts a few seconds and stops. Might be a HDR bug.

I am really enjoying the campaign so far on X One X. Maybe 2 hours in?

It's colorful as heck. The graphics are fantastic, which as always just makes everything so much better (especially if talking about a campaign). I'm absolutely loving the HDR, it's wowing me, even though my set is a low end in specs. I'm not much for following videogame stories but the little cinematics here seem (so far) really well done and voice acted to me. This might be the most non-crappy VG voice acting/story I've literally ever noticed. They give you a constant variety of things to do (blaster fights, piloting AT-AT, piloting Tie Fighter, lightsaber stuff, on and on) and it's so far all fun, as opposed to most games where any kind of vehicle section is horrible.

Shame the microtransaction mess is probably going to spoil what seems to be a great game, or at least great campaign so far.

I have played about 5 campaigns lately (Halo 5, Gears 4, Quantum Break (still unfinished) Titanfall 2, and this, and so far this is my runaway favorite (QB would be 2nd).

The graphics though as I keep mentioning are at once fantastic and occasionally comically janky looking. Basically on the 3rd person character models/hair (Luke Skywalker) and the rebel troops. Anytime somebody is wearing a helmet and shiny armor though they look absolutely fantastic.

The scene at 3:17 of this video is a good example. So impressive (spoilers).

Is the campaign even 30 FPS? Holy smokes what they coulda done at 30 FPS...

Last edited:
I am really enjoying the campaign so far on X One X. Maybe 2 hours in?

Shame the microtransaction mess is probably going to spoil what seems to be a great game, or at least great campaign so far.

Is it more fun because its 4K and HDR or could one enjoy it on a lowly 1080p TV and PS4P?

I meant to skip, but if its fun. I always wanted a fun SW game to play.

Did they put micro-transactions in the campaign also? I assumed it would just be in the MP part.

It's starts strong and then kind of flops. It's not bad, but it does not compete with any good FPS campaign including last years COD.

It'd be good anywhere I think. PS4 Pro will make it look nice and sharp. Xbox One is really the only deficient console (though I forget what vanilla PS4 renders it at this time around).

I really dont know about the microtransactions and how they effect campaign, I assumed they were multiplayer focused. You get some cool abilities and cards, you really dont NEED any of them though. On normal difficulty the campaign isn't a struggle even if you had no abilities. You could just use your base blaster and get through the whole thing. In fact I've found the base blaster the best main weapon so far although I haven't experimented much. It's very versatile. You can switch to something longer range, slower and more powerful designed to be aimed down sights, but then you give up too much close ability. The base blaster so far is a great middle ground.

I really don't understand too much how the microtransaction systems interlock and whats going on. The game is (poorly) designed that way. All I do is look at my slots, equip what I want that's available (I dont plan to do any micro transactions, I'm redboxing it) and go. This is all for campaign. Like I said I assume MP is where it starts to get important.

Back