Around 100GB of HDD space missing?

It's file system overhead
Allocation Unit Size the default is 4k which means any file will take up a multiple of 4k on the disk
save a 3k file and it takes up 4k save a 5k file and it takes up 8k wasting 3k
for example I created a txt file with some text in it (2.21 kb) in an empty folder
6ApLyAc.jpg

4k is the default size (good for not wasting space)
64k is the maximum (good for performance with large files) but my 2k txt file would take up 64k on disc wasting 62k
you can set the size when formatting
2VD0QlD.jpg

EDIT:
just re read your original post your having a different problem (are all the files on disk in a folder called work)
try running treesize free as admin
https://jam-software.com/treesize_free/

ps that pic showing the properties of work did you right click on the folder and select properties ?
if so why is it not windows standard ?
BmGqeOl.jpg

Last edited:
I havent set up the drive for image back ups.
Maybe it did it automatically after the Windows 10 updates? If not, I dont think there is a back up folder.

I am a bit confused. I thought the above were specifically referring to a back up folder so I am not exactly sure what I should try.
I think I am missing something
Sorry, I meant maybe you had folders that, though not for backups, were still not revealing their content size until you opened them, and granted administrative privilege to do so.

Another thought, did you try setting folder options to show all files and folders, including protected operating system files? Then go to the root of the drive, select everything, right click on them, and choose Properties? Then see if that number matches your drive size plus free space. I just remembered I've done that in the past to find out why my C: drive had gotten larger. One time it was because a major OS update restored my hibernation file. Another time it was because of an .Old file after an OS upgrade. Etc.

Just noticed something strange about my program files properties
size on disk is smaller than size of files (it should be the other way round)

ps: how did you get that work properties page up ?

Could be onedrive or some other cloud folder that doesn't save everything to the HDD.

I dont use any such service
TreeSize Free says this
4Fb5ujZ.jpg

ps: my volume information is 20gb whats this for? and can I delete it?

Last edited:

ps: how did you get that work properties page up ?

Are any of the files HardLinks? If they are, then the file only takes up X space even if it's listed over 9000 times.

what odd ball line ?

ps: still waiting for nesh to explain where that work properties page came from
pps: afaik no hardlinks how to i check for them ?
edit:
I found a program that displays hardlinks (finddupe)
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/finddupe/
used the command finddupe -listlink "c:\program files" > list.txt
and it found some hardlinks all in a hidden folder called windowsapps
properties said it was 0 bytes in size

Last edited:
@Nesh

How did it go? No more disappearing capacity after reformat?

Did you get all your capacity back?

I is curious to know... :D

He kept losing free space until reaching zero then the malware wasn't sated so it continued past the bounds of the storage to the components themselves, consuming the atomic structure around it, expanding its nature beyond the simple medium of the hard disk. Since then, it has consumed the PC, the desk and has discovered the biological construct labeled @Nesh, absorbing new concepts and thought patterns previously unconsidered in its code structure as it torn down the flesh and neurons.

I for one welcome our new master, Skynet.

@Nesh

How did it go? No more disappearing capacity after reformat?

Did you get all your capacity back?

I is curious to know... :D
I saved my files, formatted the drive and copied them back. The problem didnt show up again. At least yet. I dont know what I would have done if it was the C drive. I havent figured out what caused it yet.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

Maybe you had some piece of software spazzing out and leaking memory, causing page file to grow and grow. *shrug*
I suspected something like that but WinDirStat showed the page file at around 2GB even though the free space kept going smaller.

Back