Advice on FreeSync 4K Monitor Purchase *spawn*

Any thread with Chloe from Life is Strange cosplay is fine with me.

Kinda surprised people aren't all going for Freesync/G-Sync. Since monitors last so long, it's a shame not to make that a high priority.

A friend at work is bisync. He has a Freesync and a G-Sync monitor. I suppose that means he doesn't care who makes his GPU...

Next step in monitor tech is trans sync then? (No, I'm not judging. Monitors can sync any way they like for all I care...)

Heh, seriously tho, I didn't think NV allowed freesync capability on a gsync display. Guess they weren't quite as evil as I expected of them. :p

wish I had seen the 32" model before I purchased mine. With 4k the extra size of the screen is really important, because the text especially will be more readable. Graphics wise... It doesn't matter, you are going to be impressed with a native 4k display despite of the size..

The little details that 4k brings out are quite easy to nice -you go like.. "hey I didnt notice that thing before in my previous displays.." or "wow, even if it's a 2D game, it looks so sharp now, I was missing some details"... That happened to me when playing a classic 2D game, Age of Empires 1, with a HD patch -alas, the patch only allows resolutions up to 1440p, but even at 1440p, the details come to life compared to how I played that amazing game before in the late 90s and in the following years.

However text can look very small, although if you game on a console that shouldn't be an issue, I was talking about your typical PC OS.

just getting a second or third or fourth opinion lol
Hm, looking at the 27" HDR model, it has your average backlight with just 350CD intensity, and the colorspace is listed as SRGB, so probably very crummy HDR on the whole. I would go with Cyan's advice and take the larger screen of the two, if these are the models you are interested in. You probably won't be missing much in the way of "HDR" anyway and a bigger screen means more epic vistas in-game. :p (And more easily readable text as Cyan said. Gods know my own eyes aren't getting any better with age. Fuuuu....)

wish I had seen the 32" model before I purchased mine. With 4k the extra size of the screen is really important, because the text especially will be more readable. Graphics wise... It doesn't matter, you are going to be impressed with a native 4k display despite of the size..

The little details that 4k brings out are quite easy to nice -you go like.. "hey I didnt notice that thing before in my previous displays.." or "wow, even if it's a 2D game, it looks so sharp now, I was missing some details"... That happened to me when playing a classic 2D game, Age of Empires 1, with a HD patch -alas, the patch only allows resolutions up to 1440p, but even at 1440p, the details come to life compared to how I played that amazing game before in the late 90s and in the following years.

However text can look very small, although if you game on a console that shouldn't be an issue, I was talking about your typical PC OS.
Yea i think for the extra hundred i will buy the 32 and it will hold me for a number of years. For text i still plan on keeping my 2 24 inch monitors or at least one of them

Hm, looking at the 27" HDR model, it has your average backlight with just 350CD intensity, and the colorspace is listed as SRGB, so probably very crummy HDR on the whole. I would go with Cyan's advice and take the larger screen of the two, if these are the models you are interested in. You probably won't be missing much in the way of "HDR" anyway and a bigger screen means more epic vistas in-game. :p (And more easily readable text as Cyan said. Gods know my own eyes aren't getting any better with age. Fuuuu....)

I have read that since your closer to a monitor you don't need the 1,000CD for the monitor to display HDR properly and that tvs only have it that high because of the distances people typicaly sit from them

The luminance level has more to do with contrast and the ability of the TV/monitor to show very bright spots and very dark spots at once in the same frame. A regular IPS panel isn't able to properly support HDR other than maybe the expanded color gamut. Even without proper HDR that panel is a pretty good deal though :)

I have read that since your closer to a monitor you don't need the 1,000CD for the monitor to display HDR properly
I wouldn't trust that. As Clukos mentions the brightness is to increase the available - real-world - dynamic range. Not the fake 100,000:1 dynamic range mentioned in the monitor's specs. And SRGB doesn't fit wide color gamut either as mentioned, so it'll probably be some kind of tone mapping fakery there as well.

Thanks guys , i am going to buy it anyway its a good deal i think at $400 and it should last me awhile . I am going on 5 years with my 24 inch screens.

I'm still using my ancient 24" Dell 2405 from 2005 as my primary display for browsing and developing. It would be nice to have a better monitor as the image retention is nasty on this old thing, but I've made it this long and it would be a real shame to get anything short of a proper HDR display now.

Holy crab, I had one of those back in the day! Well, two actually as my dad also had one and then later gave it to me since it was in better shape, retention-wise, than my own.

And yea, the retention was utterly CRAZY on those monitors. Utterly un-fucking-believable. It was so bad that I couldn't play games on it anymore, as soon as I moved the view in a 3D game the whole display was swimming with a combination of retained and freshly updated pixel imagery, it was super distracting...

Also, they use CCFLs for the backlights. I'd hate to think how those things would stand up to 12 years of operation... They would likely have faded significantly and probably changed color spectrum a lot too. Ugh. But yeah, pray it holds up a few months longer at least, until proper HDR PC monitors come out. :p

I'm still using my ancient 24" Dell 2405 from 2005 as my primary display for browsing and developing. It would be nice to have a better monitor as the image retention is nasty on this old thing, but I've made it this long and it would be a real shame to get anything short of a proper HDR display now.
you are a true hero. It's not easy not to fall for new technologies in this space to keep up pace. Hopefully my 4k monitor will last as long as yours if not more! But back in 2007 I "had" to purchase a 720p HD Ready TV because it was a thing and I had a X360. I still have it although I gave it away to my mom.

Then in 2013 just ahead of the launch of the XB1 I "had" to purchase a native 1080p which I still enjoy and have today. And recently my 4k monitor. However HDR is something that I'd love to have but not quintessential in my eyes. Let's see when I actually try one of those screens..

I was still using that as a side monitor up until I got my 49" monitor. :D It still gets used whenever I have to troubleshoot systems for clients and family.

Regards,
SB

It has to be said, the build quality of that monitor really is superb. Super solid... Die-cast aluminium and thick steel stand, the build quality is top notch. Only downside is that shitty shitty TN panel used, but it was a long time ago also. Picture quality of most LCD monitors at that time was pretty crap by today's standards.

I agree. The build quality is extremely professional and feels premium. At the time the specs on the 2405 were amazing. Now I see so many displays at $90 or so that would easily best it. For a while I even used the 2405 as game console display with all the various inputs available (DVI, VGA, SVideo, Component, and Composite). I ran it as Picture-in-Picture mode to watch TV while browsing or developing. The side-by-side mode makes both pictures a little too small to be as usable. Now I have this on a desk near the larger 55" 1080p Plasma and no secondary display inputs used.

So many nice looking UHD displays advertised for Black Friday but none of them really listing HDR. Perhaps all the better, as next years models will hopefully have HDR, VRR, and HDMI 2.2 support.

The build quality is extremely professional and feels premium.
Indeed! "They don't build 'em like they used to..."

And THEY DON'T! This time this stupid meme is actually true. As far as I know there isn't one single consumer monitor out there with as solid a stand and casing as those ancient Dells. Anyway, when you mention all the various inputs, I remember that I didn't actually have the 24" widescreen version, it was the 5:4 19" version, which only had DVI and probably also VGA input on 'em. Anyway, the basic design was the same. The height adjustment feature had this phat honkin' spring which balanced the (rather considerable) weight of the display, it was a joy to use.

I've got the next model 2007 24" dell, 16:10 1920x1200 using it as my secondary display, starting to crap out the last year or so, occasionally green vertical lines, and more often lots of horizontal lines dancing around,
dell.jpg
dell2.jpg

even gets worse than that sometimes the lines go completely black so you can't see anything, like lterally 1/2 the screen is black.
I'm prolly gonna get a new monitor, once I've moved into the new house.
from using a 28" 4k monitor for the last couple of years I can attest
28" is too small = ~140% resolution scaling
32" is also too small = ~120% resolution scaling

I guess about 35-36" is ideal (40" too large as DPI is too small at typical viewing distance)

unfortunately they don't really make those size monitors it typically goes from 32" and the next largest is 40"

Back