Call of Duty WWII Frustrations

• Thread starter Deleted member 86764
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 86764

I realise it isn’t a hugely popular series among purists, but I have enjoyed it and if I get a slight chance at someone from Activision or one of the developers reading this post then it makes the effort worthwhile. Wishful thinking perhaps. And this is going to be a bit of a rant, so I apologise in advance.

I’ve been a big fan of the series since COD2 and I feel that the series’ peak was with Modern Warfare 3, which I’d happily pay full price for today if it were available on the PS4. I just think that game had it all and allowed for you to really adjust to your playstyle or even adjust according to the maps. I’d go as far as to say that it had an almost rock/paper/scissors weapon set. I could have one setup that allowed for speedy play (i.e., choosing each of the speed based perks for the different perk slots), or you could have a silent class, or sneaky class. It was great and really allowed for true personalisation. I really enjoyed the maps that allowed for player to hold certain zones and required an attacking team to be clever to overcome the advantage of the opposing team. It was fun as an attacker or a defender and not in a forced attacker/defender play type kind of way (I’m a pure Team Deathmatch guy – I literally haven’t enjoyed ANY of the other types in any of the COD games).

I was very disappointed in Black Ops 2 because it meant that you couldn’t have a true ghost class because the relating perk had the requirement that you were moving in order for it to work. So it reduced the ability to play in a sneaky and tactical way, which was definitely a bummer for me. Ironically the same was true with Call of Duty Ghosts, no true silent class as it required you to constantly be on the move, so again, it marginalised my main playstyle. I have still been able to go ahead and enjoy these two to some extent (not as much as MW3) as the semi-auto rifles were still half decent and I could put a silencer on it.

The less said about Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3, and Infinite Warfare the better. Sorry, I didn’t enjoy any of them. I’m not into robots and science fiction in games. I tried them all each to a lesser and lesser extent (I didn’t even buy Infinite Warfare; borrowed it and played for maybe an hour multiplayer – it wasn’t good).

So I guess this leads onto Call of Duty World War II which I’ve been looking forward to since it was announced – at last a Call of Duty game after several years that doesn’t have all of the AWFUL wall-running and boosting!! What could go wrong with it? It could only be as bad as Ghosts at its absolute worst and I half enjoyed that game.

There are actually quite a number of very annoying aspects to this game and I understand that some of them may appeal to other gamers, but maybe not someone as old school as me. So I figure I’ll list them all out:

• Headquarters: I didn’t enjoy Destiny, I also don’t see the point of making an area that can quite simply be done much quicker and simpler with menus.
o I literally haven’t done those first tick boxes and likely never will.
o Why do you have to now select the challenges when they were all previously on? I have no interest in accessing Headquarters, so the first ones that I selected will remain on indefinitely.
o I only want to select TDM and get on with my game. I have kids and do not have the time nor the inclination to spend any time in this area at all, so challenges (and anything else there) are wasted on me.

• Perk removal: hey, I didn’t especially like the idea of this, but I was happy to give it a go and see if I could be proven wrong. I wasn’t.
o SMGs are the only weapon that you can have a silencer on. Very annoying for a rifle player.
o Rifles are the only weapons that you can use a knife/bayonet with. Also very annoying.
o I’m a rifle player generally and have never used the Stalker type perk, as I feel that it reduced my accuracy when ADS. So now that I have eventually got to level 4 Infantry on COD WWII, the class and rifles are now useless to me. Which is perhaps the single most annoying aspect of this game. Being unable to use my favourite weapon type is very frustrating (no point using it with another soldier type since it’s a huge waste of perks).
o I can’t use silencers on decent weapons.
o The Ghost style perk is now gone unless I use a sniper and I have never used a sniper.
o The game just feels like it’s been made by people that have the SMG/sniper playstyles and has absolutely marginalised all other playstyles.
o Personalisation is essentially lost with the lack of perk variances.
o Being constantly on the move is awarded while tactical play isn’t.
o What has happened to the semi-automatic rifles?! How can they all be so awful. I’ve used them from COD2 onwards and now is the first time that they’re useless and it’s really difficult to define why. Aim settings changed?

If only people were able to play according to their own playstyles and not have them marginalised, removed, or predefined. At this stage I have lost all hope of another COD game coming out that I’d ever properly enjoy again. And really struggle to understand why these changes are made to the game.

I’d even be wailing to pay a monthly fee for MW3 and regular maps being released (exactly as I did when the game came out). I have not and will not ever pay for map packs when the quality of the game has reduced to this extent.

(Controversially, I don't mind supply drops - and I'm not a gambling man. Never spent a penny on them)

Back