Formula 1 - 2017 Season

Nowhere did I say he made a sudden move toward max. Do try reading comments before spouting the usual dose of garage.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-verstappen-s-last-lap-pass-of-raikkonen.html
All angles there.
Kimi didn't make any "sudden moves" or such towards Max, usually you turn if there's a corner, as Kimi did, and he left plenty of room on the track for Max to stay on it instead of taking shortcuts (Kimi went far wider than the usual racing line to leave room). Maybe Max doesn't trust himself enough to drive anywhere close wheel to wheel with the most experienced and skilled drivers out there? There's no other possible explanations for his shortcut - except for wanting to take the shortcut to get the overtake done of course.
*sigh*

upload_2017-10-24_1-34-27.png

I don't think most people would class that as "plenty of room". Less than a second earlier, Max had been substantially alongside Raikkonen and on track.
upload_2017-10-24_1-35-35.png

In the split-second where the gap disappeared, he had to decide to go somewhere, and I think they'd both rather get points than have an accident. He cut the corner. At that point they had, what, 200m to the finish line? I don't think any driver would give the place back at that point.

The alternative is that drivers don't take chances, don't try interesting moves, and only try to overtake when they have a 10 mph speed advantage on a straight with DRS wide open. I, for one, would much rather see drivers trying moves like that than not.

*sigh*

I don't think most people would class that as "plenty of room". Less than a second earlier, Max had been substantially alongside Raikkonen and on track.

In the split-second where the gap disappeared, he had to decide to go somewhere, and I think they'd both rather get points than have an accident. He cut the corner. At that point they had, what, 200m to the finish line? I don't think any driver would give the place back at that point.

The alternative is that drivers don't take chances, don't try interesting moves, and only try to overtake when they have a 10 mph speed advantage on a straight with DRS wide open. I, for one, would much rather see drivers trying moves like that than not.
In F1 where pro drivers go literally wheel to wheel at times that's plenty of room

In F1 where pro drivers go literally wheel to wheel at times that's plenty of room
The gap got smaller, I just couldn't be bothered to search frame by frame for when it's at the smallest. And as I said, I think they'd both prefer to finish the race than have Max try to stick to the track in that situation and them collide. You'd have been livid if Max had stuck to the small amount of track remaining and they had crashed. Basically, the only situation you wouldn't have complained about is Max staying firmly behind Kimi and not trying anything. *yawn*.

The gap got smaller, I just couldn't be bothered to search frame by frame for when it's at the smallest. And as I said, I think they'd both prefer to finish the race than have Max try to stick to the track in that situation and them collide. You'd have been livid if Max had stuck to the small amount of track remaining and they had crashed. Basically, the only situation you wouldn't have complained about is Max staying firmly behind Kimi and not trying anything. *yawn*.
Regardless on what you're reasoning is, there's no excuse for shortcutting outside of track to overtake, if it would have been just about "avoiding collision" he would have needed to give the position back anyway.

Regardless on what you're reasoning is, there's no excuse for shortcutting outside of track to overtake, if it would have been just about "avoiding collision" he would have needed to give the position back anyway.
I've not said that what he did was within the rules. My original comment was that it was a shame that he got a penalty, because it marred an exciting end to the race. From the perspective of someone that watches F1 for fun (rather than just to complain on forums), it was more enjoyable that he attempted the move than if he just followed Kimi to the line.

I've not said that what he did was within the rules. My original comment was that it was a shame that he got a penalty, because it marred an exciting end to the race. From the perspective of someone that watches F1 for fun (rather than just to complain on forums), it was more enjoyable that he attempted the move than if he just followed Kimi to the line.
Still, it's not an excuse - the F1 would turn a whole lot more interesting if everyone ignored the rules the same way Verstappen has (unpunished most of the time), but that's not the point, not for watchers, not for sport and not for forums

You can't give one guy the right to break rules to make it "more fun"

Still, it's not an excuse - the F1 would turn a whole lot more interesting if everyone ignored the rules the same way Verstappen has (unpunished most of the time), but that's not the point, not for watchers, not for sport and not for forums

You can't give one guy the right to break rules to make it "more fun"
You haven't actually read or understood what I've been writing.

You haven't actually read or understood what I've been writing.
I believe I have, and no matter how much it "marred exciting end to the race", it wouldn't have been better for those who watch F1 just for fun if he went without penalty.
On the contrary, it would have left a bad taste and raised questions - if the watchers has any clue on rules they would ask "why didn't he get penalized" and if not, leave them wondering "why isn't everyone cutting corners to overtake"

I believe I have, and no matter how much it "marred exciting end to the race", it wouldn't have been better for those who watch F1 just for fun if he went without penalty.
On the contrary, it would have left a bad taste and raised questions - if the watchers has any clue on rules they would ask "why didn't he get penalized" and if not, leave them wondering "why isn't everyone cutting corners to overtake"
I have not said he shouldn't have had the penalty.

I’ll tell you one thing - I think GT Sport is managing to give out penalties quite a bit more consistently already than F1 stewards. [emoji14]

And congrats to Max and Red Bull on a near flawless victory (shame about Ricciardo) although it would have been more exciting if Max had had Vettel and Hamilton behind instead of Bottas for sure ...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133054/schumacher-tops-greatest-ferrari-driver-poll
F1 Racing -magazine (at least according to the magazine itself it's the best selling F1 magazine in the world) did a poll on best Ferrari drivers ever. Unsurprisingly, Schumacher won with tad over 50% of votes, but at least some here might cringe when they realize that Kimi was voted 2nd best, beating for example Alonso (6th) and Vettel (10th) by large margins. Top 5 also includes Gilles Villeneuve, Juan Manuel Fangio and Niki Lauda in that order.
They included only drivers who have won a grand prix with Ferrari to narrow it down a bit, but I doubt it would have made any difference to top drivers even if they included those who never won a single GP

Last edited:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133054/schumacher-tops-greatest-ferrari-driver-poll
F1 Racing -magazine (at least according to the magazine itself it's the best selling F1 magazine in the world) did a poll on best Ferrari drivers ever. Unsurprisingly, Schumacher won with tad over 50% of votes, but at least some here might cringe when they realize that Kimi was voted 2nd best, beating for example Alonso (6th) and Vettel (10th) by large margins. Top 5 also includes Gilles Villeneuve, Juan Manuel Fangio and Niki Lauda in that order.
They included only drivers who have won a grand prix with Ferrari to narrow it down a bit, but I doubt it would have made any difference to top drivers even if they included those who never won a single GP
In recent memory Kimi is on of the best drivers Ferrari have had, so it's no surprise. He's also the last person to win the championship for them which means a great deal to Ferrari fans.

Still doesn't change the fact he's past it and has been beaten by Alonso and Vettel quite handily since his return.

In recent memory Kimi is on of the best drivers Ferrari have had, so it's no surprise. He's also the last person to win the championship for them which means a great deal to Ferrari fans.

Still doesn't change the fact he's past it and has been beaten by Alonso and Vettel quite handily since his return.

He only won because Mclaren was busy fighting itself.......

He only won because Mclaren was busy fighting itself.......
Just like Alonso won his championships only because Kimi's McLaren was so unrealiable? Get a grip man, there's never "only because", there's always several factors that come into play.

Just like Alonso won his championships only because Kimi's McLaren was so unrealiable? Get a grip man, there's never "only because", there's always several factors that come into play.

Salty aren't we :) . Kimi fans are so easy to bait..........

When 2nd and 3rd lose by 1 point and you had such open warfare within that team that cost them more points then they lost by............

Salty aren't we :) . Kimi fans are so easy to bait..........

When 2nd and 3rd lose by 1 point and you had such open warfare within that team that cost them more points then they lost by............
They also had only 1 retirement each (at least 1 of which wasn't technical failure, cba to actually check the other) while Kimi had 2, which easily would have made the difference just as well as their fighting.
Remembered wrong about Alonso though, it was Schumacher that won by 2 points with 1 retirements versus Kimi's 3, but I suppose that was just Schumacher being so good, not Kimi being good, just like his championship was only because Hamilton and Alonso fought each other :rolleyes:
Yes, baiting on interwebs is easy, no matter who it is, because there's always the chance that the poster is actually that stupid and not baiting, though it's usually baiting.

At least we can all agree if McLaren didn't keep Lewis out so long in China, he would've won the championship in his first year.

Would like to know the logic behind that move.

New for the 2018 thread ....
AMD Sponsor of Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Team This Year
Scuderia Ferrari revealed its F1 car for the new 2018 season; the SF71H shines all bright and not surprisingly, in Ferrari red. The PC aficionado might have noticed something at the lower nose-cone of the of the car, there is an AMD logo present.
index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-to-sponsor-ferrari-formula-1-team-this-year.html

Back