All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get big screens around $500 with 4K, but maybe not HDR, this year.

They sell millions of them every year, because most of the manufacturers have moved to 4K at the same price points they were selling 1080p a couple of years ago.

so PS5 will be ready in 2 years? I dunno just seems unlikely.
not a bad split.
Scorpio editions sold out super fast and had limited time to purchase.

Real question is how well it does following launch. With the positive news cycle that MS has with X1X right now, and they're doing a good job keeping 1X in the news with all sorts of related stuff (BC this BC that, BC 360 enhanced, BC OG Enhanced, New enhanced games). The longer they can keep the X1X in the news, the more likely it will bring them more success. Green light some killer enhanced BC or non BC titles, and you can fill in the gaps while you wait for your exclusives ideally to arrive. It's a bold strategy, but it's the only one that can work for them now given their existing lineup.

not a bad split.
Scorpio editions sold out super fast and had limited time to purchase.
It sold out in 10 seconds... Then it was in stock everywhere from a week before launch up to quite a few days after launch. Amazon sold huge stock of scorpio edition at launch based on how it moved up the 2017 ranking.

Scorpio edition went from #77 to #49 from nov 7 to today, normal sku still not in the top 100.

If stock availability is any indication, demand for Xbox One X isn't very high. It is charting back in the 20's on Amazon, and Best Buy is showing stock at most stores. Two Xbox One S models are charting on Amazon almost as well as the brand new X model. If Sony really wanted to take some shot at Microsoft they would lower the price of the Pro down to $349 and make the value proposition even more attractive. Will the X model even sell 3 million units this year? It seems like a lot of work went into crafting the hardware, and it seems like it may be targeting a very limited niche market. Sales expectations had to be somewhat optimistic.

It sold out in 10 seconds... Then it was in stock everywhere from a week before launch up to quite a few days after launch. Amazon sold huge stock of scorpio edition at launch based on how it moved up the 2017 ranking.

Scorpio edition went from #77 to #49 from nov 7 to today, normal sku still not in the top 100.
I'm not sure what we can gleam from that still, we can come up with any story to support how the numbers were made. I think the only thing that could have been very bad is a large number of units sold were only scorpio with very good being on the opposite end of the spectrum.

With it sitting about 50% eh, not bad.

If stock availability is any indication, demand for Xbox One X isn't very high.
means there's more supply than demand.
That doesn't mean there isn't high demand.
ie.
Low supply and moderate demand can lead to shortages (i.e. iPhone X)
and high supply and high demand (ie. iPhone 6)
6 will sell more in the same time frames.

But if supply is there, wouldn't high demand result in tracking better on Amazon?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The IHS prediction seems good, Microsoft has done a good job to have the console available this holidays. Their forecast is up from 500k worldwide in 2017 to 900k worldwide. It is a good result for a mid gen console...

But if supply is there, wouldn't high demand result in tracking better on Amazon?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
amazon is only 1 retailer, so its best to wait and see. I do agree though, we would expect amazon to do well... especially if the other channels are out of stock.

and as per MrFox statement, Amazon moved loads of Scorpio and we have still not seen the base unit appear into the top 100. So metrics are a little weird to make strong conclusions just yet.

IIRC, MS didn't want to have Scorpio editions to walk into store and buy them. They were meant to be pre-order only. So I imagine using Amazon to do this would be the best way. Since the inventory isn't locked to the store, you couldn't walk into a store next year and find a scorpio edition.

At least I think that's what they wanted.

Last edited:
PS4 is always in stock and had sold around 67 million units at the end of September. Stock availability isn't really useful unless you also know manufacturing volume and how those are distributed globally.

It seems like only Nintendo trades on consistent stock issues as a business model almost. Microsoft and Sony almost always meet demand fairly quickly as a business model. That's why I was not counting on any X shortages and certainly wasn't going to try to ebay any!

I guess there were stock issues to with PS4 Pro some claimed but I mainly saw it in stock in the USA. Maybe not everywhere at once, but you could pretty much always get one at at least one of the major retailers.

Now to Xbox One X 80k in UK, if we assume X sold similarly per population in US as UK that's about 392k in USA, basically circa 400k. For one week. So I would assume it could possibly end up being around 800k (USA) for the month? That's pretty nice. If they can shift 800k regular Xbox too maybe a 1.6 million November. Compared to past November's of 1-1.3 so far for Xbox one (November 2016 only 1.0 million). Xbox really needs a boost like that. It certainly IMO appears to put November NPD in play for Xbox to win but with ever popular Switch out there with wildly fluctuating stock and PS4 general popularity too I wouldn't bet on it yet.

If USA did 800k and Uk 160k in Nov (doubling launch week estimates for all), that's around a million there, the rest of the world could be 500k-1m more on a ship-in basis (consider Canada could be as much as 10% of USA alone or up to 100,000 so certainly 500k to rest of world isn't unreasonable). For manufacturing they likely need to manufacture as much as 2 million Xbox One X just for November to allow for some in inventory etc. My guess would then be 3 million to as many as 5 million for November+December. a lot of extrapolation at that point though, but those seem like nice numbers to be manufacturing of a new $500 console.

But yeah the numbers are more impressive keeping in mind it's a $500 console.

I guess these numbers prove Xbox fans were pretty starved for some power, and it may be pretty important to the brand image (that's my opinion anyway). that and as many have noted correctly, X was marketed significantly more aggressively than Pro as well as being a much larger gap to the base model.

Last edited:
I guess there were stock issues to with PS4 Pro some claimed but I mainly saw it in stock in the USA. Maybe not everywhere at once, but you could pretty much always get one at at least one of the major retailers.
I remember in my country Pro was gone after launch for several months (3-6 afaik). You could get only some imported for a sizeable mark up.

means there's more supply than demand.
That doesn't mean there isn't high demand.
ie.
Low supply and moderate demand can lead to shortages (i.e. iPhone X)
and high supply and high demand (ie. iPhone 6)
6 will sell more in the same time frames.

Iphone X it depends of the country, in Switzerland Iphone 8 is less popular than Iphone X after the salary are high here...
I remember in my country Pro was gone after launch for several months (3-6 afaik). You could get only some imported for a sizeable mark up.

In Europe, the PS4 Pro stock was low too...

Last edited:
It seems like only Nintendo trades on consistent stock issues as a business model almost. Microsoft and Sony almost always meet demand fairly quickly as a business model. That's why I was not counting on any X shortages and certainly wasn't going to try to ebay any!

Now to Xbox One X 80k in UK, if we assume X sold similarly per population in US as UK that's about 392k in USA, basically circa 400k. For one week. So I would assume it could possibly end up being around 800k (USA) for the month? That's pretty nice. If they can shift 800k regular Xbox too maybe a 1.6 million November. Compared to past November's of 1-1.3 so far for Xbox one (November 2016 only 1.0 million). Xbox really needs a boost like that. It certainly IMO appears to put November NPD in play for Xbox to win but with ever popular Switch out there with wildly fluctuating stock and PS4 general popularity too I wouldn't bet on it yet.

If USA did 800k and Uk 160k in Nov (doubling launch week estimates for all), that's around a million there, the rest of the world could be 500k-1m more on a ship-in basis (consider Canada could be as much as 10% of USA alone or up to 100,000 so certainly 500k to rest of world isn't unreasonable). For manufacturing they likely need to manufacture as much as 2 million Xbox One X just for November to allow for some in inventory etc. My guess would then be 3 million to as many as 5 million for November+December. a lot of extrapolation at that point though, but those seem like nice numbers to be manufacturing of a new $500 console.

But yeah the numbers are more impressive keeping in mind it's a $500 console.

I guess these numbers prove Xbox fans were pretty starved for some power, and it may be pretty important to the brand image (that's my opinion anyway). that and as many have noted correctly, X was marketed significantly more aggressively than Pro as well as being a much larger gap to the base model.
I think it's a combination of Xbox fans being starved of power and console gamers in general seeing it as good value for money. There were several people (media and analysts) before launch saying that they just didn't see who the X was for. These were the same people that were saying that about the Elite controller as well and that sold like hot cakes. A premium product will sell if the spec is good and it justifies the money. The elite controller was supposed to be for pro and very hardcore gamers, but it was an excellent piece of kit so appealed to a wider audience. The X has great specs and so far performance to match a decent gaming PC.

On the Xbox fans being starved of power, Playstation gamers weren't exactly complaining about the lack of power when the Pro was announced and they only got a doubling of power. Xbox fans were complaining of a lack of power and got a 4-5X increase in GPU so I can understand why more would upgrade from XB1 to X1X than PS4 to Pro. Keeping the sales going past the initial surge to early adopters is going to depend on a stream of Digital Foundry videos showing games performing consistently better on X1X. Gamers that are sitting on the fence might be swayed if game after game comes out performing better on the X.

amazon is only 1 retailer, so its best to wait and see. I do agree though, we would expect amazon to do well... especially if the other channels are out of stock.

and as per MrFox statement, Amazon moved loads of Scorpio and we have still not seen the base unit appear into the top 100. So metrics are a little weird to make strong conclusions just yet.

IIRC, MS didn't want to have Scorpio editions to walk into store and buy them. They were meant to be pre-order only. So I imagine using Amazon to do this would be the best way. Since the inventory isn't locked to the store, you couldn't walk into a store next year and find a scorpio edition.

At least I think that's what they wanted.

There's also the case as some on this forum have done.

Cancel Project Scorpio pre-order and order the regular XBO-X due to styling preference.

Also after launch I can see Project Scorpio units being sold at Amazon by console scalpers that were hoping there would be a shortage and that prices for 3rd party units would skyrocket. Unfortunately for them, there was enough supply in the channel to meet demand. They might have then just decided to unload their units to reduce their losses.

That means that due to 3rd party sellers, you may have Project Scorpio units being sold on Amazon that were originally bought from another retailer. I wouldn't think this would be huge amount though.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back