Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

I'm still at a loss as to the "optional texture packs" that someone is going off about. I can only guess that what's being referenced is to allow the user a choice in downloading 4K content so they have control over not wasting what may be limited bandwidth with assets that may never be used when the user is only running 1080p displays.
If that's an option, the 1080p assets shouldn't be downloaded. You should be presented with a choice as to which texture pack to save downloads.

I don't think it is an option though as the 4K assets are used to create the higher quality 1080p experience. What was the game?

I don't think it's mixed messaging, I think he's just mistaken/assuming/confused regarding the ability to download 4k assets in preparation of purchasing a 1X.

as for why it may be useful for a game to give that option even if your playing on a 1X, I can think of a few.
1. has 1080p display and ok with downsampled 1080p with standard textures. Still get a huge improvement over XO.
2. wants improved framerates, possibly 60, unlocked, vrr display.
3. only standard assets are on disk.

all this is could be due to what their internet service is like, e.g. capped.

I was listening on some game podcast that there is a way to check if a specific game has Xbox One X assets installed. Highlight the game in the My games and Apps menu and hold both bumpers + the menu/options buttons.

pretty sure this person is doing it here (though its in german)

Enhanced titles are clearly labeled in the store and in your own library. If you own a One X it installs the enhancements. As for game sizes, that's the reality of 4k gaming. Microsoft is working on content delivery to remove unneeded things like languages you don't use etc. Ultimately games will keep getting bigger. As for the 4k video, I'm kind of glad games are offering them as optional.

I was listening on some game podcast that there is a way to check if a specific game has Xbox One X assets installed. Highlight the game in the My games and Apps menu and hold both bumpers + the menu/options buttons.

pretty sure this person is doing it here (though its in german)

Just go to my games and apps and use the filter option to show enhanced games.

Just go to my games and apps and use the filter option to show enhanced games.
I don't have an 1X so I don't know how the patch process works but is it possibly that that filter only looks for games that are 1X enhanced but not necessarily that the assets are installed on your system? There looks to be two separate flags in that dev info box..I guess this would only be a problem initially when transitioning from Xbox One S to 1X.

Either way I just thought it was cool.

to check if a specific game has Xbox One X assets installed. Highlight the game in the My games and Apps menu and hold both bumpers + the menu/options buttons.

I tried it on my Xbox One X and could only reasonably get it using Hold Right+Left Bumpers and hit the Left middle button (whatever that button is named, on the X360 it's the Back button). If I tried Right middle button (on the X360 it's the Start button) it only brought up the SubMenu.

For fullness, here is the video showing how to get ready for a new Xbox One X console when you're on an Xbox One or Xbox One S. It walks through how to enable the pre-download 4K Assets/Patches/Content. This option is not available on the Xbox One X since it's supposed to get the content for you.

Pretty sure the only "option" with regards to downloading graphics enhancements is for Xbox One S users who can choose to pre-download X1X enhancements it to an external drive so its ready to go if they decide to upgrade to a 1x in the future.

That's what I did the last 2 weeks and use the drive now with my X1X.

What was the game?

Shadow of War has an optional 4K cinematic pack delivered as a free DLC via the store. That's the only game I've seen that's using that approach, however. The way you're supposed to handle it is using intelligent delivery, which is meant to handle it automatically depending on what system you're on. Shadow of War doesn't seem to use that, for whatever reason (intelligent delivery was only available in the fall update though, so maybe it's down to it originally targeting an August release?)

A
Shadow of War has an optional 4K cinematic pack delivered as a free DLC via the store. That's the only game I've seen that's using that approach, however. The way you're supposed to handle it is using intelligent delivery, which is meant to handle it automatically depending on what system you're on. Shadow of War doesn't seem to use that, for whatever reason (intelligent delivery was only available in the fall update though, so maybe it's down to it originally targeting an August release?)

But the game doesn't know if you got a traffic cap, so it might be the developer thought it might be better the user decide.

Regardless if it was dlc or intelligent delivery I think the 4k cinematic pack (cgi) would be optional for the 1X.
If your using a 1080p screen then you don't see the sort of benefits you would from higher resolution textures.

Wouldn't someone who would buy such an expensive & high end system not be bothered or concerned with data caps? I mean they just spent $500.

Tommy McClain

Wouldn't someone who would buy such an expensive & high end system not be bothered or concerned with data caps? I mean they just spent $500.

Tommy McClain
It's aimed at the 4k user, which doesn't mean that all 4k users will have good isp service, it's not even only about money, good uncapped service may not be available. It's not as wide spread as people believe.

But for me, this is strictly a personal view, it's also a premium 1080p console. Especially compared to the XO.
If I want the best XO experience on a 1080p display I would go for a 1X. Which, is what I will probably be doing.

Why limit the console to 4k when it can also be a premium 1080p device?

Edit: There's already a discussion in one of the other threads about how well XO will hold up from now on.
Even if it maintains it's current 900p (debatable), compared to what the 1X will offer, from now until the next gen even at 1080p, there leagues apart.

Last edited:
It's been a pretty interesting launch for the 1X.

There's been TV ads, billboards and adverts for the 1X in England.
Not for the Xbox family, specifically for the 1X.

Maybe there'll be specific ads for the 1S during black Friday and during the sales. But I suspect that it won't get the billboards and big ad treatment the 1X is receiving even though its expected to be their biggest seller.

Only raising this as it actually surprised me, I thought MS had given up on mainstream advertising to be honest and only believed in some YouTube adverts.

Tommy McClain

Unfortunately, there are many areas where people have bad (or no) choices for their internet provider. Fortunately for me, my ISP seems pretty great compared to others around.

Being in a position where you have to weigh whether or not to consume a piece of content or whether to do so in compromised quality based on how much data you would be required to transfer is shitty and, I suspect with many of these ISPs, not technically necessary.

Way to pick out and completely center around the wrong point. The narrative being explained is "There’s nothing that 4Pro can do better than X1X. "

I would hope so, the X came out a year later than the Pro and cost $100 more. Honestly, the marketing message from Microsoft has been around an uncompromised 4K experience, and we know the X has not delivered this. Plenty of games that do not run at native 4K, and a few with framerate issues. The X is a superior piece of tech compared to the Pro for sure, but Sony's messaging with the Pro was less profound, and thus didn't garner the same expectations. Sony saw that 4K TV's were selling at a much faster rate, and offered a console that offered an upgrade to accommodate those who have a 4K tv. The X is in no mans land. Demand is already plummeting and we aren't even two months in. Bottom line is they didn't deliver on their promise and are more expensive than the alternative. Yes the X is superior to the Pro, but the Pro cost 20% less. Both consoles offer better than 1080p but often less than 4K.

@Goodtwin

Well you also have to remember that MS is also comparing One X to the One S, which is an amazing performance improvement all around. The part of the performance improvement that I'm surprised at is just how much of a difference can be had in some of the games from just a texture perspective.

As for the did MS deliver or not, I'll simply say this and run ... Holding MS accountable for what third part developers do is the same as faulting Sony for failing on the 4Pro because of "Life of Black Tiger". :p

Back