What desktop speakers do people recommend?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
The Logitech set I'm using is dying. Sound quality is terrible (basically no treble, fuzzy bass), LEDs are fading, print on buttons is wearing off, and so on.

However I have no real clue on what's a good PC desktop audio system anymore. Generally it seems like people use headsets a lot these days, but for casual gaming speakers are still easier to deal with methinks. Headsets have cables, or they need to be recharged, sometimes they're big, heavy and clunky and want to slip off your head at the slightest excuse (say hello, my Corsair Void Pro headset...) Also, like, say when someone calls you on Skype, and you're away from the computer and your headset isn't on your head, how do you know...?

So something which is decent-sounding at least. Decent build quality is also important, because I hate crappy plastic shit. :p Like, a 2+1 system maybe, because cans with big enough woofers for some bass tend to get fairly large.

I really like my M-Audio computer monitors (shielded). They're 2.0 but I really like the mid-range they put out.

Limited desk space. Sound bars take up a lot of space... But yeah, other than that a bar would be nice I guess. :p

soundstand/box thingy then :D (i forgot the name)

basically it will sit under your monitor, and act as pedestal.

fuck the motherfucking headphones
Grall it all comes down to price and how much you want to a spend

I have used the M-Audio AV42 and Ruark MR1. Very good sound quality for their size. Would recommend them if you cant fit anything bigger. The Ruark is particularly impressive (of course also very expensive)

The Logitech set I'm using is dying. Sound quality is terrible (basically no treble, fuzzy bass), LEDs are fading, print on buttons is wearing off, and so on.

However I have no real clue on what's a good PC desktop audio system anymore. Generally it seems like people use headsets a lot these days, but for casual gaming speakers are still easier to deal with methinks. Headsets have cables, or they need to be recharged, sometimes they're big, heavy and clunky and want to slip off your head at the slightest excuse (say hello, my Corsair Void Pro headset...) Also, like, say when someone calls you on Skype, and you're away from the computer and your headset isn't on your head, how do you know...?

So something which is decent-sounding at least. Decent build quality is also important, because I hate crappy plastic shit. :p Like, a 2+1 system maybe, because cans with big enough woofers for some bass tend to get fairly large.

I'm currently using these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAK1FA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Decent sound but nothing close to the expensive Logitech speakers that I replaced. Then again they are also an order of magnitude less expensive than the speaker system they replaced. :) I just needed something good enough that I didn't hate gaming on them when not using my expensive headphones.

As for the headset problem, you can set Skype to always do notifications on your speakers (stand alone or integrated into display) while voice chat comes in through the headphones. That's how I have mine setup. This will still force notifications through speakers even if you change the default sound output in Windows to headphones.

Regards,
SB

Been using Edifier C2+ (2.1) for ~6 years for my desktop PC at home and it's still going strong. Recently bought Edifier R1280T (2.0) for my other place and very happy with it. In my impression, while lack the deep bass of C2+ the R1280T offer wider sound stage -- due to the 4" driver pair. And it looks great on desk. For $99, I am strongly recommend it to complement your headphone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016P9HJIA/

You can find the comparison with other speakers in this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-MKyxKdanxpOBTx8wiY1w

For $99, I am strongly recommend it to complement your headphone.
They do look quite nice indeed, especially for the price, but I'd like something with a subwoofer output, preferably. Hm. I'll look around some more.

I've peeked at a set of audio pro speakers, but they're unfortunately ~3-4x as expensive as these, depending on which size one wants. :p One reason is undoubtedly bluetooth connectivity and shit like that, which I don't need. They do have the sub output option tho. Curiously, also optical toslink input...

i find subwoofers for speaker systems bellow say $150 price range a poor ideea. They're just too (uncotrolllably) boomy . Then again, not saying the systems without subwofeers in desktop speakers category are any better..

subwoofers, even cheap ones do work for comerc
ial movies and the like though. Kinda horrible for most music genres, however

Last edited:
Do monitors need to be shielded? Or was that only relevant for the magnetic CRTs?

Generally monitors are shielded. Bu the cables to them might not be (i personnaly have this issue, at least)

Do monitors need to be shielded? Or was that only relevant for the magnetic CRTs?
CRTs only, pretty much. Maybe you could screw with LCDs using strong permanent magnets, I haven't tested, but it won't have the catastrophic effect it does on a CRT.

Generally monitors are shielded. Bu the cables to them might not be (i personnaly have this issue, at least)
Speakers shouldn't affect digital data in a monitor cable because it's a static magnetic field which isn't inducing any currents into the cable. You must have some source of EMI in your vicinity... Or maybe your cable is simply bad, and it's not interference from outside which is the real culprit here... :p

Back