Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the game has been severely downgraded on the pro , with the latest patch that is supposed to improve performance, after the df comparison video. There’s a riot going on in the Ubisoft forums. Though , truth be told , even in this comparison video I don’t see the great win for the pro (with much lower resolution and worse frame rate) .
Can I get a DF source on before and after? I usually don't trust Ubisoft forums, I'll take that as rumour until someone proves it.

Don’t think that there is a df video but there’s ton of shots from the “new” version of AC:O and it does not look pretty.

Another game on XBX that has problems (more than the others consoles) when there are lots of alpha to process (the other being Shadow of War).
Like Halo 5, it would be interesting to see a comparison including the unpatched edition.

@Scott_Arm I assume they switched to forward clustered for the OneX patch, but maybe you could ping Tiago about it?

edit: RE: Wolf2

Actually the game is being downgraded, on the PS4 pro at least, with every new patch Ubisoft releases so I don’t think that it’s a bad patch but we will see.

http://www.gamechup.com/assassins-creed-origins-patch-1-04-ps4-pro-downgrades-noticed-by-users/
Here’s a quick link. Just google assassin’s creed origins after patch 1.04, PS4 , it will give you tons of links.
Well and people think that it was done in favor of the Xb1x ... but all tests are already done with this game before the patch came.
But btw, like DF showed us in the xb1x vs ps4pro vs pc video of AC, the game needs some performance tweaks, because it generally goes under 30fps not much but regular 29fps isn't that good at all. And the low fps cutscenes is not only a console problem. Also some users with Geforce 1080 cards report of those issues. So there might come some other patches that "tweak" a few things.

Like Halo 5, it would be interesting to see a comparison including the unpatched edition.

@Scott_Arm I assume they switched to forward clustered for the OneX patch, but maybe you could ping Tiago about it?

edit: RE: Wolf2

Xbox One X uses forward rendering for Wolf 2.

As for transparencies:

Glasses render very nicely in DOOM especially frosted or dirty glasses: decals are used to affect just some part of the glass to make its refraction more or less blurry.
The pixel shader computes the refraction “blurriness” factor and selects from the blur chain the 2 maps closest to this blurriness factor. It reads from these 2 maps and then linearly interpolates between the 2 values to approximate the final blurry color the refraction is supposed to have. This is thanks to this process that glasses can produce nice refraction at different levels of blur on a per-pixel-basis.

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

A lot could have changed from Doom. It sounds like pretty much the entire renderer has been re-written - no more megatexture, 80+% compute. id hasn't talked extensively yet because they're "not ready." I imagine there will be some cool talks about Wolf 2.

I do think they should implement dynamic resolution on the consoles, since it's available on PC. Wonder why they didn't.

Last edited:
I'll wait for the DF review.
You'd prefer a technical review using a different perspective and different scenes tested ?

Xbox One X uses forward rendering for Wolf 2.

As for transparencies:

A lot could have changed from Doom. It sounds like pretty much the entire renderer has been re-written - no more megatexture, 80+% compute. id hasn't talked extensively yet because they're "not ready." I imagine there will be some cool talks about Wolf 2.

I do think they should implement dynamic resolution on the consoles, since it's available on PC. Wonder why they didn't.

They already use dynamic res on consoles for both Doom and Wolf 2. On XBX wolf 2 runs from 1512p to 2160p (the latter very rarely according to VG tech).

You'd prefer a technical review using a different perspective and different scenes tested ?

They already use dynamic res on consoles for both Doom and Wolf 2. On XBX wolf 2 runs from 1512p to 2160p (the latter very rarely according to VG tech).

I thought I read somewhere it was not dynamic. Guess that was incorrect.

I don't really like fluctuating or mid 40's type frame rate.
But what I would be in favor of is a a toggle, so that you could run the game as hard as it can and let VRR or next gen hardware deal with it.
Or in your case, run it in the 40's etc.

3 or so modes with a few toggles is acceptable for console gaming in my eyes.
Is it a motion sickness thing? John at digital foundry likes poking fun at people that like unlocked framerates but I think for a lot of games that hit the 40's (consistently) they either need to increase the graphics or uncap the framerate.

40-45ish fps already feels way more responsive than a capped 30. I guess it depends more on the genre, but an action game for example can really benefit from higher than 30 framerate. Bayonetta 2 can drop to the low 40's or even high 30's, but you'd be nuts to prefer a locked 30 for that fast paced game. A slower paced game, Knack 2 has a frame cap toggle, and having played it the locked 30 option even in that game feels significantly worse than the unlocked since it hits the 40's regularly.

For a more cinematic game, I would say a locked 30 would be better than having it in the 40s. Like, I wouldn't want to play ICO with an uncapped framerate. First person games as well, i'd prefer locked.

Last edited:
I think dynamic resolution is better than dynamic framerate which is what games have done until recently. I hope all the major game engines and studios adopt dynamic resolution for consoles and even PC to keep stable framerates.

And having an option of uncapped framerate will also make current games run better on future hardware without patches.

I think dynamic resolution is better than dynamic framerate which is what games have done until recently. I hope all the major game engines and studios adopt dynamic resolution for consoles and even PC to keep stable framerates.

And having an option of uncapped framerate will also make current games run better on future hardware without patches.
yea, pretty much what I was suggesting.
but it wouldn't only be useful for future hardware, someone with a VRR display would also benefit.

dynamic resolution and a toggle for VRR/unlocked framerate would be hugely beneficial to people who want the best quality that has the correct set up, now or in the future.
dynamic resolution and VRR doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, just set reasonable floors

Great job by ID here. Massive effort by them to get out so many different versions of Wolf so close to each other with the performance and fidelity profile that they brought with Wolf. Another 2 months or so, I think they could have gotten all the consoles to lock 60, but this is pretty close and I think very good.

I'm guessing that they ran out of memory on 4Pro in terms of raising the maximum render resolution (not enough to go up to 1620p, 1800p etc. for instance) even if it could.

There's a shadow bug on the woman's arms @5:10 on the OneX.
The texture comparison in the preceding footage (BJ's forearm) could just be due to memory streaming priority. Doom can exhibit similar issues on PC with low GPU memory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back