Destiny 2

They’ve been extra useless. Promised HDR “soon after launch”, still nothing. Not surprised by the lack of X support. Very disappointing.

Well today I got my Scorpio.

And today I was right about this post I made many months ago:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1989432/

Bungie was not ready for Day 1 and still won't comment on whether a 1X version is coming. Damn is all I can say. So I bit the bullet and bought the game as per suggestions. I've enjoyed playing it, it's a much better game than D1 at launch but now, officially since we're everything is released, I'm not moving on expansions until I see 1X version.
For a game that is a GaaS; I'm really displeased now with the lack of communication on this front.

Yeah it's pretty sad, because they have like 500-1000 people working on this game. They should be front and center on this stuff.

As for me I deleted the game like I was doing with Destiny 1 toward the end.. Partly to keep myself from playing too much

But I will say (although I cant decided exactly why) the D2 PVP is lacking, while still fun, it's not nearly as addictive or dynamic as D1, and is also somehow much more frustrating. Even different subclasses dont really feel that different in D2 crucible IMO, it's like all the same class just a different super that you only get once anyway. Whereas in D1 PVP, just changing from Arcstrider to Nightstalker felt like a lifestyle change and so much fun. D1 PVP felt immensely deeper.

I also feel like the ever ridiculously more challenging raids are a problem for this game, I'm sure they're great if like Skribbles or datto you're the 1% who has a dedicated, consistent raid group. For the vast majority of LFGers they're a joke.

The normal raid was pretty damn hard, over time it's doable. Then they add prestige mode, now it's doubly hard. Now they add some third layer of obscenity in challenge mode? GTFO Bungie. And how the heck do these absurdly difficult raid modes fit in to their stated goals of being more casual? They are hypocrites.

IMO it should be normal raid is it, ever.

Last edited:
I naively thought that the HDR was hold until the xbox one x release. (note that pc users have it)
But it's just Bungie slow snail pace.
Destiny 2 looks more & more like a minimum viable product, with shortcuts everywhere (vault, char editor, no new races/enemies, only remixes).
We don't know what happen backstage, maybe it's hell like the first one supposedly was.
I don't play it anymore, but I'm still interested. Next targets are the three November streams on Osiris

* 4k is great already, I'll do a second playthrough with Titan & HDR soon !
* Ok, I still have the Hunter campaign to do. This level & this area will be so great
Well, now I have three chars, guess I have to delete one.
It's good news though, better late than never

You’ll also see adaptive 4K resolution on the PlayStation 4 Pro and 4K on the Xbox One X.

From Bungie.net weekly update, I wasn't aware. Obviously seems like X1X is getting native locked 4k while PS4 Pro gets dynamic?

Native locked 4k seems pretty aggressive. I guess it means they wont be amping the visuals but that's to be expected.

Just additional detail.

I’m confused. Are they changing the pro version from 2160p CBR to something else?
Hmm doubt it. I think it's just marketing clause. Make sure 4Pro is mentioned as well. It's probably the same technique. And they wanted to change the term to dynamic 4K. I really don't see why they would move away from their existing custom CBR solution unless it was rushed

So, a friend loaned me his pc account for the weekend, as he was away, and I played quite a lot on it and ....oh boy, its almost like a different game with th emouse and kb controls. All guns felt so tight, so so tight, that I enjoyed playing with the Lost prophecy and Graviton lance so much. Considering my time with the ps4 version I was so taken aback by how nice the Hand cannons feel and how good the Pulse rifles feel ! I had written off the pulse rifles in D2 on the ps4 version and they felt so so good on the PC with the mouse! Plug in a controller and they turn back into thier console counterparts, but as soon as u hold a mouse, the game just changes all guns to a different handling making them .....interesting :D !

The fact that the game looks super beautiful :love: at ultra at 1080p60fps is another story and my laptop could handle 4k and 35-40 fps on mostly max, and that was just eye melting pretty ! But yea, that locked 60 fps with high dpi mouse controls is very very good for this game. Very !
If Bungie shows signs of making the game more like D1 again, by which I mean Gear and weapons that actually matter and are different, then I might completely switch over to PC. The experience is just waaaaaay better on PC. In fact, if I had not spent all my cash on too many games I would have bought the PC version by now.

Last edited:
I don't know if everyone has seen this already, but I hadn't seen it posted on B3D so here it is...

Destiny/Bungie limits how fast one can earn experience.

TLDR – If you earn XP slow, the ingame display is correct. If you play normally, the game drops some XP (~ 50%). If you power-grind XP the game will drop most of your XP (in testing, I managed to lose ~95% of the XP during an ‘enemies moving against each other’ event)

Conclusions
The XP displayed ingame is at the same scale as in the API and 3rd party apps.
There is a hidden scaling factor that ramps up as you earn XP more quickly.
The scaling factor will increase at least to the point where you’re only really earning 4% of what you should.
Public Events will only ever earn you 50% of what they say, as the end of event XP alone is enough to trigger a 50% scaling factor.
To get one thing clear: There is no cap to XP. You can keep earning XP as fast as you want, and you will always be making progress towards that next bright engram. You will just face dramatically diminishing returns the faster you go.

I'm not sure this is the big scandal it's being trumped up to be.

For starters, it's apparently been known for a long time. But only now being treated as a big deal, which seems disingenuous.

I dont like it, but Bungie has placed these limiters before, on non-lootbox, non monetized, systems, in Destiny 1. Mainly glimmer. In some specific areas, areas with a very unusual, respawnable population of yellow bar enemies mainly, with a glimmer ghost you'd earn "too much" glimmer, so it would just kinda turn off at a point.

I suspect these types of artificial limits could be deemed necessary for the 5% edge cases of different systems, in order to keep the 95% working well.

This limiter seems similar although maybe more broad, but it seems to be the same concept, they dont want you just gorging on XP for short time frames, but keeping things more evenly paced over the long term.

The main reason it doesn't matter to me is, I never cared much about bright engrams. they just dont contain anything of value beyond cosmetics that you are drenched with plenty of, and personally I am not greatly interested in anyway. The game showers you with tons and tons of loot for free. I never bought or desired to buy a single microtransaction in D2. I was more enticed by a few microtransactions back in D1 that were non-lootbox, if anything, and even bought a few. I even considered it supporting Bungie for giving me so ridiculously much free playtime between expansions.

Also, I dont know if it's even shady, maybe Bungie said "Ok, we want players to earn a level about every 10 hours gameplay, not every 2hrs or 20 hours, here's how we get there, to where everybody earns a level after about ten hours". Is that even necessarily wrong?

Now do I like these limiters? No. In the case of the glimmer limiter, I always hated it, I hated the principle of it. But the point is it clearly wasn't money based back then.

I suppose it could be considered shady and it would be interesting to see Bungie's comment.

Back