EA to acquire Respawn Entertainment [Titanfall developers] for $315 to $455 million

This is probably good for Respawn and EA.

Start spreading out the games, give them more time to develop, and give the games more life span to breathe + dlc etc.
Cycling between Battlefield, Battlefront, Titanfall, Bioware Game, etc each year really opens the door to proper creativity.

This is probably good for Respawn and EA.

Start spreading out the games, give them more time to develop, and give the games more life span to breathe + dlc etc.
Cycling between Battlefield, Battlefront, Titanfall, Bioware Game, etc each year really opens the door to proper creativity.
That's basically what I thought too. Battlefield, Battlefront and Titanfall on a 3 year cycle similar to COD and it's 3 studios.

I honestly wasn't really aware they weren't owned by EA already.

In other words, no big.

Although I have heard EA forcing frostbyte engine on everybody partly killed Amy Hennig's project (it needed tons of work to be usable as a third person engine)

I honestly wasn't really aware they weren't owned by EA already.

In other words, no big.

Although I have heard EA forcing frostbyte engine on everybody partly killed Amy Hennig's project (it needed tons of work to be usable as a third person engine)

Why would an engine need tons of work in order to transition from first to third person?

Another one bites the dust....soon enough.

Selling to EA (or hell, Microsoft) just means your studio will get demolished in a few years when "leadership" can't figure out what to do with you anymore.

At least the Titanfall franchise is not dead.

Yet.
Yeah I liked 2, but I think we can now safely say EA will have their way now with recurring cost revenue as it is a perfect game for such "services-content".
That sort of makes me wince.
Ironically the money EA paid for the company they will make back in recurring revenue on next couple of games the studio develops.
Titanfall 2 would had sold much better if it did not launch I think within a fortnight after Battlefield 1 and had stronger marketing (which was also overshadowed by Battlefield 1).

Obligatory list of studios EA as acquired and shut down..

maxis - The Sims, SimCity, SimAnt etc.
Mythic - Dark Age of Camelot.
Bullfrog - Populous, PowerMonger, Dungeon Keeping, Syndicate.
Origin - Ultimate, Wing Commander.
Westwood Studios - Command and Conquer
Phenomic - SpellForce, BattleForge, C&C Tiberium Alliances
Black Box - Need for Speed, Skate
Pandemic - Sabotuer, the original Star Wars Battlefront.
Visceral Games - so, so much! :yep2:

:

Another one bites the dust....soon enough.

Selling to EA (or hell, Microsoft) just means your studio will get demolished in a few years when "leadership" can't figure out what to do with you anymore.

At which point West and Zampella leave to found a new company ... exactly like they did when Activision were major assholes in the wrong with Infinity Ward.

Origin - Ultimate, Wing Commander.
Westwood Studios - Command and Conquer
Ultima, before Davros comes along and annihilates you. ;)

Westwood - also Lands of Lore series.
Didn't they also make the Dune RTS which Command and Conquer was an offshoot off of? It established a lot of the basic traits of the RTS, with resource gathering, building units, and research too IIRC. Some vestigal stuff too, like upkeep, and concrete plates to build on (although this lives on in a way in Starcraft, with Zerg slime and Protoss pylons.)

As much as it's sad to see a studio shut down, isn't it often the case that a studio doesn't resemble its former self by the time it's in a death spiral?

I don't know if Infinity Ward still exists, but let's say it does for the sake of argument: with West and Zampella gone, along with some other members of staff from that studio, is it really the same studio, or is it a much worse studio that only possesses the name?

It must be a very difficult business: buying studios and keeping them sweet. The ship of Theseus is a challenging thing to overcome in a creative field.

Ultima, before Davros comes along and annihilates you. ;)

Westwood - also Lands of Lore series.
Didn't they also make the Dune RTS which Command and Conquer was an offshoot off of? It established a lot of the basic traits of the RTS, with resource gathering, building units, and research too IIRC. Some vestigal stuff too, like upkeep, and concrete plates to build on (although this lives on in a way in Starcraft, with Zerg slime and Protoss pylons.)
Yea westwood made C&C (all of them IIRC) and Dune 2, and Dune 2000. And a couple other games that weren't RTS as well.

Back