Neural networks for upscaling. Artomatix criticises the use of so "outdated" checkerboard rendering.

Worth while to try a few more pictures. It's unlikely that an algorithm is fit for all pictures. Perhaps willl do better in other scenarios.

Mind you, I ran the original screenshot through an SMAA tool a while ago. This is also cropped, and compressed a tiny bit. I upscaled the original with lanczos.

I didn't grab the "boring" version of the enhanced image though.

Lanczos
View attachment 2282

Enhance
View attachment 2283

(1800x2400)

I had another one where a character was a lot smaller in screen-space, and the eyes got upscaled rather weirdly (to be fair, the eyes were like 10x5 pixels in area :p). Unfortunately, I erased it, but that might have been more interesting for analyzing.
tried with an actual photo of mine and these are the results.(I kinda see a loss of fine details)

Original

Touched version

Very convincing results here for Neural network upscaling.
Sony's high end Bravias have had smart upscaling (read about X-Reality Pro here) which insert 'missing' information during the upscale for years. And it is surprisingly good. :yep2: The origins of this technology are in Sony's professional TV broadcast equipment which has to deal with old video sources and make them presentable for modern broadcast standards.

Sony's high end Bravias have had smart upscaling (read about X-Reality Pro here) which insert 'missing' information during the upscale for years. And it is surprisingly good. :yep2: The origins of this technology are in Sony's professional TV broadcast equipment which has to deal with old video sources and make them presentable for modern broadcast standards.
Hmm. So a separate ASIC/FPGA doing the work it sounds like ?

Hmm. So a separate ASIC/FPGA doing the work it sounds like ?
Yes, it's a bespoke chip unique to the higher-end Bravias. Sony's 'affordable' sets don't include it and those cheap bastards buying those sets don't deserve it. :runaway:

Gaming applications?

Show good results with a video and I might be interested.
Maybe it is best suited for art like games and not for real life photos, despite the impressive look of that pic from the tweet. (however, my pic..I am dark haired and the upscale kinds of make it fairer)

It'd be also interesting to try with naked photos of @AlNets , @DSoup and @London-boy to see how they upscale.

Back