XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

In the VGTech Video of SW:KOTOR, the XBox One is doing 2x FPS most of the time and hitting 3x FPS at times over the Original. The X360 hardware performs slightly less or on par with the Original.

It will be nice to finally play the Taris section without having to look away every minute due to the eye strain.
I hope they intend to increase the library to at least the same size as the 360 emulator. I've got a lot of OG Xbox games. Some of them aren't on any other platform and either don't run in 360 emulation or perform very poorly, like KOTOR does.

wow I hadn't seen a video showing such a great advantage for the newest platform because of BC. The Xbox One gives such a thrashing to the X360 -who often goes into single digits btw- and the original. This is considered one of the best Xbox games by far and it shows. I wonder though how people managed to play it well when it runs at 60 fps sometimes but it runs at 20 or 20 something most of the time.

Ninja Gaiden Black, one of the best games ever made -imho-, running on the original Xbox.

1fp5BAd.png

The game running at 1080p 60fps -the difference is huge- on the Xbox One (OneX version is going to run at 4k 60 fps, our balls are going to drop to the ground then) :oops::oops:

2sxYsj6.jpg

hmm, some details appear to be missing on the buildings at 2:30

also, I opened some random twitch stream and the first thing I see is the person trying to load an autosave and a bug happening, the game would just restart (into screens and so on), loading a manual save worked (found it, at 1:33:45
), it's worrying to have game save bugs in a game you can play for so many hours.
other than that it certainly looks a lot cleaner than on the old consoles, and performance is definitely better with some scenes going from nearly 10FPS to over 30

Wondering if there is a CPU issue here. I guess we will know when they show the 1X

I'm going to guess it can only be the CPU, if you consider that the game is mostly using 1 core it would make sense, the rest of the specs are a much higher improvement, also the 360 emulation of KOTOR struggled a bit, likely due to CPU again!?

I'm going to guess it can only be the CPU, if you consider that the game is mostly using 1 core it would make sense, the rest of the specs are a much higher improvement, also the 360 emulation of KOTOR struggled a bit, likely due to CPU again!?
the x360 cpu is PowerPC not x86.
OG may be x86-32bit and XO x86-64bit, but should still be easier to emulate.

the OG cpu is 733Mhz so also not clocked high in comparison to the XO 1.75Ghz, so even being single threaded i would think should be ok. Maybe someone with some emu knowledge can step in.

so they could emulate a 3.2Ghz PowerPC on a 1.75Ghz x86-64bit, but not 733Mhz x86-32bit?
hence why I suspect it's gpu not cpu related, or something else even.
worth adding that I'm not down paying what they've done, just would prefer an either 30 or 60 if possible, especially considering just how much of a boost it's getting.

Last edited:
the x360 cpu is powerpc not x86.
OG may be x86-32bit and XO x86-64bit, but should still be easier to emulate.

yes I'm aware, and that made emulation expensive for the 360 CPU, making it the likely limitation

I would think the XBone CPU can run the OG XB CPU code with no major problems? still, I think it's hitting a CPU limitation (at a much higher framerate than the original) due to the low overall performance (clock and IPC), but maybe there is more to it in terms of the emulation being costly for some reason

yet I think I played KOTOR at 60FPS with a high clocked Core 2 duo and 9600GT.

the OG cpu is 733mhz so also not clocked high in comparison, so even being single threaded i would think should be ok. Maybe someone with some emu knowledge can step in.

hence why I suspect it's gpu not cpu related, or something else even.
worth adding that I'm not down paying what they've done, just would prefer an either 30 or 60 if possible, especially considering just how much of a boost it's getting.

the OG XB CPU is not very fast, but it's closer to a single core of the Xbox One than the rest of the specs I would think,
the GPU/ram difference is massive

and if it was cpu related, then could do 4x resolution at 30fps, slow down cpu emulation.

my main point is that it has so much overhead and improvements that I would prefer 30 or 60fps.

and if it was cpu related, then could do 4x resolution at 30fps, slow down cpu emulation.

my main point is that it has so much overhead and improvements that I would prefer 30 or 60fps.

I agree that it would be positive to have a FPS max lock option, not only for this game but in general with BC, now I have no clue if it is difficult to implement, on the PC it doesn't seem to be difficult to force it for 3rd party tools.

it can only be a CPU limitation with the game and emulation, the GPU and ram speed is just too high for it to be a problem I would think, at least going by the PC version, I gave it a go again on the intro using my 2002/2003 PC (p4 2.4@3ghz with single channel DDR333 and FX5900SE) and the performance is somewhat similar in some of those spots but lower in general, but that's using max settings with no AA/AF and 800x600, it certainly never drops like the OG Xbox on this PC.

I tried higher res like 1280x1024 and runs more like mid 20s so the FX5900SE is struggling but as you can see the detail on the background is not missing on the PC version even with higher res,

it can only be a CPU limitation with the game and emulation, the GPU and ram speed is just too high for it to be a problem I would think, at least going by the PC version

I tried higher res like 1280x1024 and runs more like mid 20s so the FX5900SE is struggling but as you can see the detail on the background is not missing on the PC version even with higher res
There's a couple different parts of the conversation going on I guess.

1. How easy would it be to lock to 30 or 60fps.
Is it due to the gpu doing 4x resolution & 2-3x fps at the same time, which maybe changing the resolution could make either 30 or 60 possible.
Cpu running it at over 2-3 times OG and not being able to emulate it faster to reach 60, how hard would it be to limit it to 30 and would it cause other side effects like latency.

2. What is the bottleneck to reaching 60fps.
CPU is already doing an amazing job at being emulated, but is it the bottleneck to pushing on to 60.
GPU is doing 4x resolution and 2-3x fps. It's not like running on pc though, as I'm assuming it's also being emulated and isn't as similar architecture as people probably think.
Is the GPU a lot more powerful than the OG, yes it is, but it's already doing a lot of work. Both the cpu & gpu are.

Maybe once we get more comparisons, we'll be able to see circumstances of the slowdowns and that will give more indications. I only skimmed the comparison video so maybe that gives indications?

There's a couple different parts of the conversation going on I guess.

1. How easy would it be to lock to 30 or 60fps.
Is it due to the gpu doing 4x resolution & 2-3x fps at the same time, which maybe changing the resolution could make either 30 or 60 possible.
Cpu running it at over 2-3 times OG and not being able to emulate it faster to reach 60, how hard would it be to limit it to 30 and would it cause other side effects like latency.

2. What is the bottleneck to reaching 60fps.
CPU is already doing an amazing job at being emulated, but is it the bottleneck to pushing on to 60.
GPU is doing 4x resolution and 2-3x fps. It's not like running on pc though, as I'm assuming it's also being emulated and isn't as similar architecture as people probably think.
Is the GPU a lot more powerful than the OG, yes it is, but it's already doing a lot of work. Both the cpu & gpu are.

Maybe once we get more comparisons, we'll be able to see circumstances of the slowdowns and that will give more indications. I only skimmed the comparison video so maybe that gives indications?

last time I played this game I was using an HD 5850 and it handled 1280x960 + supersampling at 60FPS quite well, so I think the XBone GPU can handle the game at 1080P (with no MSAA?) which I think is the resolution?

on the PC this area looks CPU bottlenecked, given the poor XB and 360 performance I think it's the same there
for example, this is a Pentium Dual Core (core 2 era, but with 1MB l2) @ 2.1GHz with an HD 4670 DDR2 (12GB/s memory only) at 640x480, changing the resolution to 1280x1024 makes little to no difference and the CPU usage makes sense for a game that fully loads a single core
now this is not the Xbox version, but I think it's a good indication

I don't think there is enough extra performance on the X CPU to run this game at 60fps if that's the case

last time I played this game I was using an HD 5850 and it handled 1280x960 + supersampling at 60FPS quite well, so I think the XBone GPU can handle the game at 1080P (with no MSAA?) which I think is the resolution?

on the PC this area looks CPU bottlenecked, given the poor XB and 360 performance I think it's the same there
for example, this is a Pentium Dual Core (core 2 era, but with 1MB l2) @ 2.1GHz with an HD 4670 DDR2 (12GB/s memory only) at 640x480, changing the resolution to 1280x1024 makes little to no difference and the CPU usage makes sense for a game that fully loads a single core
now this is not the Xbox version, but I think it's a good indication

I don't think there is enough extra performance on the X CPU to run this game at 60fps if that's the case
your dedication to this is amazing; I'm shocked you have an old system running this game. I would have tossed mine out years ago.

I noticed an update to Crimson Skies tonight. It was around 440 Megs or so. I'm curious to know what was tweaked on the OG Emulation.

so it seems to me that all current 4k enhanced 360 titles on the xbx use forward renderers? so the maybe 'just' override the api calls for creation of the render targets? How do you think Microsoft did it?

by the way the first title i will try today on the xbx if it arrives will probably deadly premonition. the flimmering in the opening sequence is horrible, hope the 16af fixes that finally.

Back