Phone facial recognition applications, and pros and cons

the question is, can the iphone x be trained with dicpics for safe dick recognition unlocking?

This escalated quickly! And now I re-read the thread name and saw "Facial" and had weird ideas about sperm recognition -.-
Damn you Zed!

Oh how I really would LOVE it to fail for ladies wearing heavy make up trying to unlock their device early in the morning ROFL :D

The camera detects the overall shape of your face, not your visual appearance as such, so makeup wouldn't affect the system.

If it works as good as apple claims, 20x more secure than a fingerprint reader, then thats a positive, but that hasn't been verified. (also it didnt work one time when they demoed it on stage so who knows how reliable it is)
Based on what I've seen on the net, its not 20x more secure. In fact its doubtful if its even as secure as a fingerprint sensor, OK it often fails with twins and also siblings
I've also seen to fail with totally unrelated people.
Then again I suppose whats the likelihood a sibling/twin will have access to their sibling/twin's phone /s

These brothers posted another video to show they're not faking it. They do it in front of a mirror to prove they didn't fake it. Not sure how mirror proves it's genuine.

In any event, Apple better figure out how to put the TouchID under the screen, because depending solely on FaceID is a bad idea.

They clearly state FaceID has trouble with siblings and twins. They recommend you use a passcode in these instances. It is still statistically more secure than TouchID.

Except for twins and siblings?

It's slower than TouchID so what's the point?

Seems more of a gimmick.

TouchID does not work with a wet finger, which is pretty common use case.
Also, when tapping on a notification on a locked screen, it's not very convenient to have to tap on the notification then on the home button.
These two are, at least to me, pretty common when using a phone and FaceID could work better in these situations.

Wet finger is a temporary problem.

Genetics isn't.

Tom's Guide timed the unlocking sequence and TouchID is 50-100% faster. We're talking a second or half a second but the difference is there.

I don't think they developed FaceID to solve some issue. They needed a tentpole feature to tout on a $1000 phone.

Fine let them do that but what I'm afraid is that TouchID will be deprecated in the future. They won't even try to figure out getting TouchID to work through the screen.

Wet finger is a temporary problem.

Genetics isn't.

Tom's Guide timed the unlocking sequence and TouchID is 50-100% faster. We're talking a second or half a second but the difference is there.

The first TouchID is also not as quick. Actually, my current phone is an iPhone 6 and its TouchID is actually quite slow. FaceID will get better.

I don't think they developed FaceID to solve some issue. They needed a tentpole feature to tout on a $1000 phone.

Of course it's to solve some issue. Otherwise, they'll just put the TouchID sensor at the back. It's much simpler and cheaper to do so.

They clearly state FaceID has trouble with siblings and twins. They recommend you use a passcode in these instances. It is still statistically more secure than TouchID.
Any actual proof of this? you think its still 1 in a million like they claimed in the past
from a google,
Identical Twin Rates 3.5 per 1000 ( 1 in 285)
FWIW a indentical twin wont be able to unlock the others phone with their fingerprint, as unlike their faces they're different
Fine let them do that but what I'm afraid is that TouchID will be deprecated in the future.
I have a feeling they will be bringing touchID back, sure it will be embarassing but its not like apple havent later done what they said previously they wouldnt do

Well I worry because it's pretty costly for them to have 3D sensors for FaceID, which they won't abandon since they made a lot of fanfare introducing it.

Then on top of that they'd have to figure out how to get TouchID to work through the screen, which is probably not a cheap undertaking.

Qualcomm are selling a solution for fingerprint sensor under the screen but Apple is trying to get rid of Qualcomm components from their devices.

This isn't about phones, but what are people's thoughts on Face ID on an iPad? A recent rumor from Bloomberg claims that the next iPad Pro update will feature Face ID.

At least one new iPad model with a screen size similar to the 10.5-inch iPad Pro is planned to include Face ID for unlocking the device, making payments, and sending animated emojis. The feature would replace the iPad home button that has come with a fingerprint scanner since 2014, one of the people said. The updated tablet is expected to be released later next year, a little more than a year after the last major iPad Pro upgrade [June 2017], the people said.

By removing the home button, Apple plans to noticeably reduce the size of the edges on the top and bottom of the device for the first time since its introduction in 2010, bringing the design closer to that of the recently released flagship iPhone X.
(emphasis mine)

Face ID on the iPhone X does not work if the camera is oriented differently from the face. I don't know if this is a hardware limitation, but given that iPads are often used in portrait and landscape orientations I think it needs to be solved or worked around before Face ID comes to the iPad.

One of the benefits of the bezel less design is that you get OLED screens, which don't require backlights.

So if they have a wall of screen, it leads to getting rid of the home button, which makes TouchID difficult to implement.

If they put OLED screens on iPads, it might be a good tradeoff. But I like TouchID and those who've used the iPhone X say they have to pick up the device to use FaceID.

So it would be a pain to have to pick up the iPad or have to position the face right in front to unlock it. I have my iPad on a stand off to the side of my desk so I'd have to pick it up an bring it in front of my face or move to position my face in front of the camera.

For experience with face recognition, Microsoft Windows on my Lumia 950XL has this down pretty well. It is still slower but now with having to press the button after unlocking sometimes, it’s pretty close. I also think apple’s prime motivation is getting rid of the button.

For experience with face recognition, Microsoft Windows on my Lumia 950XL has this down pretty well. It is still slower but now with having to press the button after unlocking sometimes, it’s pretty close. I also think apple’s prime motivation is getting rid of the button.

That's true, because they couldn't get the Touch ID sensor working under the screen and they didn't want to have the chin for it any more.

I guess they plan to stop using TouchID at some point.

But I think also they wanted that tentpole feature, FaceID, for an iPhone that starts at $1000.

Back