Microsoft Xbox One X (XBOX) Reviews and Impressions

But if their method is ...somewhat consistent in terms of process; between two reference points and I know the value of 1 reference point, I can get a rough idea.

With the same instruments and process we get bad results, but they are consistently bad results. At least I look at it that way.

Unless their method is picking random numbers to represent each console ... :LOL:

Unless their method is picking random numbers to represent each console ... :LOL:
I would hope not :) haha.
There is a level a trust admittedly. If the results are not reproducible at all or the values comparatively way off. Then the numbers are completely useless.

To make a car reference... This ferrari is running around somewhere in heavy traffic within exactly 38.6 seconds. This lambo with my mom driving is going around a few blocks in exactly 37.9 so it's very close! Not sure about the red lights timing in that test but who cares.

To make a car reference... This ferrari is running around somewhere in heavy traffic within exactly 38.6 seconds. This lambo with my mom driving is going around a few blocks in exactly 37.9 so it's very close! Not sure about the red lights timing in that test but who cares.

And here I thought you were going to go with how much it costs to fill the tank between a SUV, a high octane sports car, and a short bus? :LOL:

Glad to hear significant (~30%) loading time improvements on existing titles.

However 4K is 4x pixel count compared to 1080p. 30% advantage in HDD speed isn't going to enough to load 4K textures as quickly as existing titles load 1080p textures on existing hardware. We are talking about filling 9 GB of memory vs 5 GB (80% increase). Interesting to see how this pans out.

Glad to hear significant (~30%) loading time improvements on existing titles.

However 4K is 4x pixel count compared to 1080p. 30% advantage in HDD speed isn't going to enough to load 4K textures as quickly as existing titles load 1080p textures on existing hardware. We are talking about filling 9 GB of memory vs 5 GB (80% increase). Interesting to see how this pans out.
How far can we take compression on the current consoles sebbbi?

i did start a thread earlier on in the year regarding texture compression.
but i guess one of the benefits are 'can just move pc assets across', which you couldn't do if used different/non universal format.

loading times is one of the things that i consider to be very important. But i expect the 4k asset enhanced games to load at approx the same time as base hardware. Give or take a few seconds.
be interesting to see benchmarks.

1X lod levels will be different so streaming may be ok as won't need to keep swapping out textures? E.g. instead of having to load 6 levels, may only need 4, so have time to steam in the larger textures.

But i expect the 4k asset enhanced games to load at approx the same time as base hardware. Give or take a few seconds.
be interesting to see benchmarks.

See the Maka video or my posts summary earlier in this thread for Gears of War 4 tests. The xbox One X loads 4K enhancements close to same time as Xbox One S standard, and Super Lucky Tales xbox one x loads faster at 4k than xbox one s.

This is pretty interesting article. I didn't know Penny Arcade guys would be so devout. But interesting read. Very encouraging news for prospective X buyers.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/11/06/the-xbox-one-x
My choice quote which happens to be the introduction:
The Xbox One did not win me over this console generation. I’ve said a lot of bad things about the console since it came out, although suggesting that playing an Xbox One during pregnancy is dangerous to the fetus, might be the worst. I’ve made no secret about the fact that I play all my games on the PS4, that I’ve really enjoyed the PS4 Pro and that I’ve actually outfitted my entire family with Playstations so that we can all play together. A few years earlier I was a huge Xbox 360 fan and refused to even touch a PS3 controller. I was ready to love the Xbox One but it ended up being a big clunky device that couldn’t tell if it wanted to be my cable box or my game system. It felt slow and unfriendly to use and I don’t think I played it more than a handful of times. It’s a testament to his character that in spite of all this, Major Nelson still wanted me to have an Xbox One X a few days before release. It has honestly been years since I even thought about the Xbox but I decided to see what they had done since I left and what the new hardware had to offer. Just to be 100% clear, this was a free review version of the hardware given to me by MS. It was the same package they sent out to the big review sites from what I understand.

This is pretty interesting article. I didn't know Penny Arcade guys would be so devout. But interesting read. Very encouraging news for prospective X buyers.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/11/06/the-xbox-one-x
My choice quote which happens to be the introduction:

Some of the bits that I thought were worth mentioning.

Meanwhile the XBox One X itself is small and silent the entire time. I never even heard a fan kick on after playing it for hours.

That was while playing AC: Origins after restarting the entire campaign despite playing 20 hours already on the PS4-P

My particular problem is that I have invested a significant amount of money in buying Playstations for my family. I had an incredibly hard time getting my kids and even Kara off the Xbox One X this weekend so that I could test it out. It’s true that I got this one for free but my guess is I’ll be buying my own here very shortly.

So, he isn't the only one there that was impressed by the XBO-X.

Regards,
SB

Is anyone else having extremely slow download speed for the 750mb update at the moment? I suppose it's due to the launch day that everyone's downloading it and the server is hammered?

Is anyone else having extremely slow download speed for the 750mb update at the moment? I suppose it's due to the launch day that everyone's downloading it and the server is hammered?
Yea this is probably what's happening:
Everyone patching systems
Patching games
Patching Enhanced editions of games
I won't get mine for another 3 hours! Lucky you!!

But launch day is today for me lol. I guess you must be further ahead in TZ.

This seems to feel like a much larger launch than the OG. At least hype wise it is.

Last edited:
Yea this is probably what's happening
Everyone patching systems
Patching games
Patching Enhanced editions of games
I won't get mine for another 3 hours! Lucky you!!
Don't sweat it, it'll be a long while before I can actually play an enhanced game when all is downloaded and updated lol.

Also if I may ask, when I took my Scorpio out of the box and flipped it a bit I hear some clicking sound as if a small piece of loose plastic or screw was moving inside. Is it something I should be worried about?

You know what, bash me , call me fanboy , whatever I will take it. Gears of war 4 on this thing makes every, and I do mean every, pro game look blurry in comparison. I will stop here , but I have to say that ms delivered. This does feel like a next gen console.

I took my Scorpio out of the box and flipped it a bit I hear some clicking sound as if a small piece of loose plastic or screw was moving inside. Is it something I should be worried about?
How loose does the thing sound like...? Is it like something wiggling back and forth in the same place (in which case it might be a push-button of some sort, or maybe something in the optical drive), or is it something which is truly loose and moving from place to place inside the casing...?

If the latter I would be more concerned! Maybe you could twist and turn the console to make the thing fall out of an air vent. :p

Yesterday Comcast had a major mess with their network around the US. Comcast says they have it fixed, but I have no idea if they're still having issues of other sorts.

Yesterday Comcast had a major mess with their network around the US. Comcast says they have it fixed, but I have no idea if they're still having issues of other sorts.
I'm from Australia but yeah the server here could also be f**ed too.
How loose does the thing sound like...? Is it like something wiggling back and forth in the same place (in which case it might be a push-button of some sort, or maybe something in the optical drive), or is it something which is truly loose and moving from place to place inside the casing...?

If the latter I would be more concerned! Maybe you could twist and turn the console to make the thing fall out of an air vent. :p
It's definitely sounding like something's moving back and forth around the same spot, not going all over the place. The system is updating at the moment so no issues yet.

It's definitely sounding like something's moving back and forth around the same spot
It is probably some mechanical bit in the optical drive then - or so I would guess. If you haven't inserted a disc into the drive it could possibly be the little magnetic hubcap thingy that holds down the disc to the hub motor.

It is probably some mechanical bit in the optical drive then - or so I would guess. If you haven't inserted a disc into the drive it could possibly be the little magnetic hubcap thingy that holds down the disc to the hub motor.
Yeah there's no disc inside, so I guess that's normal then? I tried to tip the PS4 Pro just then as well and there was no sound with no disc inside, perhaps the optical drive inside the Pro is structured differently.

Back