Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO this trailer isn't as good in the overall look as the first one was. It is actually quite evident that everything is realtime - the cloth sims, the lack of proper foot contacts, and even the lighting and shaders are quite behind offline CGI, although it is definitely a worst case scenario overall.

Facial animations and deformations are quite good though. It's just that the overall setting is holding them back a little - but again, just IMHO.

The foot contact looks like it could use some further polishing, that's true :)

The deformation stuff is great though, definitely a step up from Uncharted 4 and LL.

Image from twitter:

DNZ3rNdVwAEkiuz.jpg:orig

crazy thing even if actual gameplay looks half as good it would still be unbelievably good looking. Have you noticed how the rain reacts to that little wall? They went for a more realistic look for sure.

I think the faces look great, and they seem to have some interesting muscle simulation in the neck and arms. I'm pretty sure when she's thrown to the ground, she moves her head and the tip of her nose actually deforms pretty realistically.

Ha ha ha, people are crazy: apparently women are not allowed to have muscles. Lol, stupid times we are living in.

Sarah Connor, Terminator 2.

Yeah, it's refreshing to see a woman that's supposed to be a fighter actually look like she could knock me out.

When a woman is all lips and tits and, without supernatural powers, she can plow through a dozen Arnold Schwarzeneggar types, that's when I roll my eyes.

Just as a male character with my physique would engender: I couldn't accept a man as a physical threat when they look like a burlap sack full of tits and porridge.

This realtime demo looked really impressive. Might we see this quality in the next gen if consoles are released post 2020?

That's the thing. This is real time, and imho is more impressive than certain hollywood blockbuster CG faces from recent years.

This is real time, and imho is more impressive than certain hollywood blockbuster CG faces from recent years.

We have worked with the previous version of this facerig on a project last year. It was a mess in actual production...
This seems to fix some of the issues we've had, and this time the demo asset is not hand sculpted but scan based, too.

Nevertheless. This is a demo, aimed to sell a product. What it shows is pretty good looking indeed - but it still only has a very limited scope, missing (deliberately or not) a lot of the more problematic aspects that'd really make a CG human face work. Notice that there's no lip sync, for example, or more complex / extreme facial expressions...

Even if their system is not 100% production ready, It's nice to know somebody is working on adressing realistic procedural motions and got it to work if on a real time interactive demo, even if somewhat decieving or whatever.
A lot of work is put into getting game production tools up to par with the offline work, but games are ultimatly interactive and unpredictable, and there is a lot of work in solving problems that don't even exist on the offline animation world.

It reminds me of this tech from a decade ago:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back