Nvidia Pascal Reviews [1080XP, 1080ti, 1080, 1070ti, 1070, 1060, 1050, and 1030]

We were given the chance to find out when leading UK workstation vendor Armari offered to send us the best of both worlds – two identical workstations, except one was AMD-AMD, and the other Intel-NVIDIA.

Both workstations are from Armari’s Magnetar S range, so benefit from the custom workstation chassis designed by Armari itself specifically for professional content creation activities. However, whilst one came equipped with AMD’s top-of-the-range Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics, the other sported the Intel Core i9 7980XE and NVIDIA GeForce Titan Xp graphics. Both processors were overclocked to a level that could be guaranteed as stable through the rigours of high-end production work.

https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/...r-1950x-versus-intel-core-i9-7980xe-shootout/

So not really much of a surprise. Nvidias raw performance and software support slaughters the AMD offering in all but Adobe where very little or no GPU acceleration exists. Big price difference of course :)

Some
We talked about the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti for numerous times now, it was bound to happen as the first 3DMark results have arrived of the product. Benchmark results for the GTX 1070 Ti for 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme and Time Spy.
I have added the fastest GPU score result set into the mix of our own charts, for a bit of comparison and overview. That pretty much will paint the pictures and seems spot on really. You can also really tell what Nvidia has been aiming for, a product that trumps the Vega 56.

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-gtx-1070-ti-3dmark-benchmark-results.html

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Custom Models Roundup – Higher But Manual Overclocking Support Across All AIB Models

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-custom-models-overclocking-detailed

As mentioned before, NVIDIA has locked AIBs from offering factory overclocked cards but that doesn’t mean that users can’t manually overclock the cards themselves. As such, the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti allow more user control to find the perfect clock speeds for their cards. That does mean that a wider audience who just wants their card to be overclocked out of box without having them to tingle with the settings a bit disappointed but this way, users who opt for better board designs and cooling can get some good overclocks on their cards through manual overclocking. Following is the official statement by NVIDIA that confirms the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti can be overclocked just like any other GeForce 10 series card

Nvidia quote: We designed the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti to be an overclocking monster with plenty of headroom for gamers to crank up the clock speeds. And our partners have built cards with thermals and power supplies that allow gamers to push performance way past stock specifications. via NVIDIA

Videocardz did some digging in to find out how AIBs are still offering some support for out of box overclocking. In such case, ASUS has a OC mode listed on their site but that can only be enabled in their GPU Tweak II application through a single click. EVGA has mentioned Max Power targets on their GTX 1070 TI specs sheet to let users now which cards offer higher OC support. Similarly, Zotac is mentioning their in-house “stable” and test clock speeds on the product pages for both GPU and memory but the user has to set them manually. Not as easy as it was before but for this specific card, this is the way to hit those numbers.

Big difference in temp between custom AIB and the standard reference cooling model, but then most will buy custom anyway or should for more general setups.
Not enthusiastic about the pricing though.

Last edited:
Io-tech.fi MSI 1070Ti review
PS. AMD has responded to the arrival of the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and at a high price level, at least temporarily, by selling the Sapphire Vega 64 and 56 graphics cards in the United States at the Newgg online store at its original recommended prices . From Germany, MSI's Vega 64 is sold for EUR 499 . However, this is likely to be only a temporary price level for bullying by NVIDIA and prices will jump back to the previous level in a few days.
https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/testissa-msi-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-8g/

I RMAed one of my Zotac 1070 cards because it started having driver crashes and randomly going black. Then I found that GPU-Z's render test blacked it out almost immediately every time. I think it's been a little flaky all along (bought in late 2016) but I thought I was just having troubles with it on my old Intel Z77 motherboard. But these new problems stopped when I swapped my other 1070 into the box, and the trouble card was also still trouble in the other machine.

Zotac is sending me a 1080 Mini as a replacement. Apparently it's what they have in stock at the moment. How cool is that?

Last edited:
Back