GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

I'm there t talk about games. Just games. :yep2:
Agreed, I lurk around for similar reasons.
When it comes to news feeding for tech, we are pretty good at feeding the forum with tech based news here. We could probably do better to encourage even more discussion, but generally we are good.

When it comes to games, we are prettty quiet on the news feeding front.

We don't talk a lot of games here either, could be a general lack of population or interest.

Agreed, I lurk around for similar reasons.
When it comes to news feeding for tech, we are pretty good at feeding the forum with tech based news here. We could probably do better to encourage even more discussion, but generally we are good.

When it comes to games, we are prettty quiet on the news feeding front.

We don't talk a lot of games here either, could be a general lack of population or interest.

Or it could be we actually play games at times instead of talking about playing games. ;)

Or it could be we actually play games at times instead of talking about playing games. ;)
Lol.

I'll make some suggestions in the suggestion thread. But I think the organization/sub division on some forums makes it difficult for discussion to occur. "New Post" is the only button I operate from, and I imagine many others just go directly to this button to avoid the many clicks to find the thread you want to discuss.

One of the advantages with lax moderation of thread structure means more people will get involved. Given a discussion is allowed to wander, and visitors see that and have opinions on the tangents, they'll post, thereby increasing numbers and the populace will generate more 'conversation'. Plus even idiots are allowed to post and idiot discussion is allowed to generate meaningless word streams (not conversation). That's the benefit/cost with zero interest on the SNR. B3D will always be quality over quantity, like an exclusive club that doesn't exclude people per se though we will kick out riff-raff, but onlookers will appreciate that the shoes, bow-ties and bowler hats of all B3D members (not enforced dress code) means it's not really the place for them with their ripped jeans and rude T-shirts and they'd be better off at the mall chucking peanuts around.

One of the advantages with lax moderation of thread structure means more people will get involved. Given a discussion is allowed to wander, and visitors see that and have opinions on the tangents, they'll post, thereby increasing numbers and the populace will generate more 'conversation'. Plus even idiots are allowed to post and idiot discussion is allowed to generate meaningless word streams (not conversation). That's the benefit/cost with zero interest on the SNR. B3D will always be quality over quantity, like an exclusive club that doesn't exclude people per se though we will kick out riff-raff, but onlookers will appreciate that the shoes, bow-ties and bowler hats of all B3D members (not enforced dress code) means it's not really the place for them with their ripped jeans and rude T-shirts and they'd be better off at the mall chucking peanuts around.
agreed. I just think specific forums, like PC gaming and Console and Mobile gaming would benefit from merger for instance. They're just gaming, and most of them are multi-platform for instance. It would reduce the duplication of threads (AC:O for PC and AC:O for console) and keep a larger population together speaking on the same topics.

And with how MS is moving their console further into the PC space (with cross play, XPA, m/kb, apps etc), part of me feels like PC and Console industry will require a merger over time.

Other than game news, I visit GAF for their set-up threads.
Very nice gaming set-ups people have out there from simple to crazy extravagant.

agreed. I just think specific forums, like PC gaming and Console and Mobile gaming would benefit from merger for instance. They're just gaming, and most of them are multi-platform for instance. It would reduce the duplication of threads (AC:O for PC and AC:O for console) and keep a larger population together speaking on the same topics.

And with how MS is moving their console further into the PC space (with cross play, XPA, m/kb, apps etc), part of me feels like PC and Console industry will require a merger over time.

I find this to be a problem with quite a few forums having excess of divisions/subforums, I think that was one of the strengths of NeoGAF the simplicity, obviously it wouldn't work here to have so few, but I do think that integrating gaming could be positive, at the same time I can understand people not wanting to mix it with the typical PC only settings and performance discussion, at NeoGAF they normally created a separate thread to discuss PC performance and settings

My memory is failing me here, but this was either tried and put back or was already like that and split. I don't remember what the issues were, but having a unified gaming topic does seem like a good idea on the surface. Maybe worth revisiting? Lotta work for someone, though. :D

Most days I visit GAF several times and my control settings are 50 threads per page and no threads older than 24 hours so when you hit a forum you can see how many pages (of 50 threads) there are. Currently there are 8 pages of threads and yesterday evening it was 17 pages, both of which are average for those times of day - in my experience. I have never seen 100 pages of threads, which is what it would show for 5,000 new threads. Even at E3 time when news is coming thick and fast, it's never surpassed 50 pages for me.

Just looked. On NeoGAF with 100 per page, there are 8 pages of threads with posts in the last 24hrs in Gaming. On ResetERA with 50 per page (I'm not registered) there's 7 in Video Games. ResetERA's numbers are obviously getting a boost from several factors and I expect the number of per-poster posts will drop dramatically when those normalize, but still they have been able to hit the ground running. Seems like an unqualified success so far.

Just looked. On NeoGAF with 100 per page, there are 8 pages of threads with posts in the last 24hrs in Gaming. On ResetERA with 50 per page (I'm not registered) there's 7 in Video Games. ResetERA's numbers are obviously getting a boost from several factors and I expect the number of per-poster posts will drop dramatically when those normalize, but still they have been able to hit the ground running. Seems like an unqualified success so far.

Absolutely. I'm sure plenty of those people were not happy at GAF, and I'd speculate more than a few hadn't been happy for a while. This type of schism is healthy for both forum communities.

Reset is going to take a lot of communal investment to stay active and engaged, but we'll get there. I'm more curious about how the modding procedures are going to be once more people join.

Absolutely. I'm sure plenty of those people were not happy at GAF, and I'd speculate more than a few hadn't been happy for a while. This type of schism is healthy for both forum communities.
Sony and MS will each have their own die-hard fan forums to fuel their brainwashing?

I don't think its fair for you to assume such things about other forums Shifty. We have plenty of diverse viewpoints and gaming mindsets over on ResetEra just looking at the topics present. If you want to dismiss everyone as some kind of fanboy without even talking to them, that's too much.

I voluntarily stopped posting on GAF but i think the same there. Any forum will have its rubes, including this one, i just think denigrating the entire forum because of those minority elements is uncalled for

I never wondered how B3D is perceived by others until your post.

Anybody know how other forums generally perceive B3D?

Is it positive or negative?

Is this site even well known to other forums?

I never wondered how B3D is perceived by others until your post.

Anybody know how other forums generally perceive B3D?

Is it positive or negative?

Is this site even well known to other forums?

Just based on my own experience and other websites, B3D is significantly less well known in general(like almost no one) but that makes sense because it has fewer members. It is not a general gaming discussion site and more of a technical discussion site which can help alleviate undesirables, since you have to usually know what your talking about to post here in threads. (even though i've faked my way through certain discussions well enough).

That makes it easier for industry vets to join here, even moreso than GAF at one time.

Usually B3D is referenced for technical matters like engineer quotes, pixel counting, graphics card news and CPU discussion ECT

Back