Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boys, what external HDD's should I be looking at seeing that games are ridiculously sized now?

For launch, I'll have the following games that I'd like to see running with uncompressed pixels!
- Forza Horizon 3
- Gears 4
- Forza 7
- AssCreed

I think that alone will take up like 500GB's...

Boys, what external HDD's should I be looking at seeing that games are ridiculously sized now?

For launch, I'll have the following games that I'd like to see running with uncompressed pixels!
- Forza Horizon 3
- Gears 4
- Forza 7
- AssCreed

The WD my passport stuff is pretty good. Doesn't require external power, cheap and good storage capacity. Not sure what the fastest drives are, but I probably wouldn't go SSD now that the games are so big.

- Forza Horizon 3
- Gears 4
- Forza 7
- AssCreed

If you want fast and reliable drive, Hitachi have touro s series.

If you are looking for a cheap one with the ability to reuse the drive/case in the future, go get Seagate backup plus series.

The included USB cable is an ass tho. Quickly become loose, like in less than a year. St least from the multiple drive I own, from different batches.

Dunno it's covered by warranty or not, I didn't bother to consult

Whenever I'm in the market for a new 3.5" platter I check Backblaze. They publish the failure rates of the drives they use and break them down by manufacturer and capacity, citing specific good/bad models. What I wouldn't do it buy another Toshiba. I put a 6Tb in my NAS along with four 4Tb WD drives the Toshiba is crazy ass loud and vibrates crazily. Apparently, that's "normal". :unsure:

edit: Toshiba, not Hitachi. I have the Toshiba X300.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to find any mention of any measure of the CUH-7100's noise and power consumption.

I expected to find something about its noise level by this point because that's easily measured.
Noise is easy to get a number to write in an article, but it's by far the most difficult to get right.

Background noise makes it impossible, equipment that can measure significantly below 30dbA are expensive. Distance from wall, desk, floor material, furniture, can vary a large amount, temperature can be 10 to 20db difference between a 20C office and a 32C summer. Games are pushing the console differently. Distance from the console is not always measured, and too close makes it imprecise, too far makes too much room interaction.

That's why we get one guy measuring 30db and another 60db. Or anecdotes of perfectly silent versus hair dryer sound.

Noise is easy to get a number to write in an article, but it's by far the most difficult to get right.

Background noise makes it impossible, equipment that can measure significantly below 30dbA are expensive. Distance from wall, desk, floor material, furniture, can vary a large amount, temperature can be 10 to 20db difference between a 20C office and a 32C summer. Games are pushing the console differently.

That's why we get one guy measuring 30db and another 60db. Or anecdotes of perfectly silent versus hair dryer sound.
it's one of those things that is incredibly hard to measure accurately, unless you are in a specially designed room with 0 noise. lol, I think MS has one on campus, they probably have the actuals on noise generated. But I don't think they're going to share them.

DF might be the best bet we get, unless someone has a serious noise cancellation + doing the tests at the quietest hours etc.

- Forza Horizon 3
- Gears 4
- Forza 7
- AssCreed

1X comes with 1 TB, I think an additional 2-3 TB will be sufficient.
That said, I went with Western Digital. I think a WD Black is pretty expensive (its super expensive when compared to cheap storage drives), but will be faster than some other disk drives, its what I use today; still cheaper than SSD by a long shot though. I consistently load faster than most people in Destiny 2 by quite a bit.

Spec sheet:
https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-black-desktop.htm

What I wouldn't do it buy another Hitachi. I put a 6Tb in my NAS along with four 4Tb WD drives the Toshiba is crazy ass loud and vibrates crazily. Apparently, that's "normal". :unsure:

Hitachi doesn't use Toshiba stuff, AFAIK. Hitachi is the more reliable arm of WD. I think they are still allowed to operate semi autonomously and continue to use their own facilities from before the acquisition/partnership. Hence, the difference in reliability between WD drives (going downhill the past few years) and Hitachi (reliability is higher than when they were owned by Hitachi. Toshiba is their own entity (previously Fujitsu drives).

Wikipedia got the details of the 3.5" HDD production assets incorrect. What WD sold to Toshiba was equipment from just one of Viviti Technologies (HGST) manufacturing plants. Not all of Hitachi's 3.5" manufacturing assets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomcou...-acquires-hitachis-hdd-business/#155681ca22ae

None of HGSTs drives are manufactured by Toshiba. And if you own both (I have 5 HGST drives and 2 Toshiba drives [they are dirt cheap!]) you can quite easily tell the difference in the two, especially from an acoustic perspective.

Regards,
SB

What I wouldn't do it buy another Hitachi.
Are you sure? Because Backblaze figures used to show rather consistently that Hitachi GST drives were the most reliable in the business pretty much bar none. I haven't checked in a while now, but it would be sad if things have changed radically recently.

Oops, I meant Toshiba, not Hitachi. It's a Toshiba X300. I don't why I wrote Hitachi in the first sentence, but the reference to Toshiba in the second is the correct manufacturer. I've had plenty of Hitachi drives and they've all been excellent and reliable.

I didn't even know PS4 was angled at both front and back, it's a perfect parallelogram, I was under the assumption it was more a trapezoid.

It's annoying. My PS4 Pro barely fits in my A/V cabinet (curved, because my TV is in a corner). If the front and back were flat like Xbox there would be plenty of clearance. I don't know what it is about Sony and their desire to have distinctive consoles. Design over functionality is never good.

Oops, I meant Toshiba, not Hitachi. It's a Toshiba X300. I don't why I wrote Hitachi in the first sentence, but the reference to Toshiba in the second is the correct manufacturer. I've had plenty of Hitachi drives and they've all been excellent and reliable.

Yeah. I still get Toshiba drives, but make sure that non-critical data is stored on them. It's hard to beat the cost/GB for their drives. Seagate generally tends to be fairly cheap as well, but I just recently had another Seagate drive die on me. I've also now had 3 of my older WD "Green" drives die on me. /sigh.

My Samsung drives (from before the Seagate acquisition) that were older than both the Seagate drives and WD drives are still going strong. I really wish Samsung hadn't sold their HDD business to Seagate.

My old IBM drives (now HGST) which were WAY older than both the Samsung drives and the dead Seagate and WD drives and HGST drives are still going strong. The IBM drives are over 15 years old (Hitachi acquired the business in 2002). I should really retire them, but meh, I don't feel like doing anything to the ancient machines they are in. :p And it's not the false "working" as in they never get turned off so they just keep working type of thing. The machines are occasionally rebooted and the HDDs just continue to soldier on.

So far no problems other than noise from the Toshiba drives, but I'm not ready to trust them with critical data yet.

I may give Seagate drives another chance if the next Backblaze report shows they are continuing to improve in reliability. My 3x 4TB 2.5" Seagate drives that I got last year for a trip to Japan are still going well, but one of them has started to be erratic. Time to move data off of that drive.

Regards,
SB

Background noise makes it impossible, equipment that can measure significantly below 30dbA are expensive. Distance from wall, desk, floor material, furniture, can vary a large amount, temperature can be 10 to 20db difference between a 20C office and a 32C summer. Games are pushing the console differently. Distance from the console is not always measured, and too close makes it imprecise, too far makes too much room interaction.

Another unfortunate problem with limited testing is a small sample for detecting manufacturing variance. Beyond chip variation, TIM, fan, and mounting differences could make some samples behave differently.

Somewhat less seriously, those that try to describe subjective impressions could provide notarized copies of a professionally-administered hearing test. In the PC space, I joked that some of AMD's cooler woes over the years could stem from the engineer in charge of acoustics having hearing loss at in specific frequency ranges.

Yeah. I still get Toshiba drives, but make sure that non-critical data is stored on them. It's hard to beat the cost/GB for their drives. Seagate generally tends to be fairly cheap as well, but I just recently had another Seagate drive die on me. I've also now had 3 of my older WD "Green" drives die on me. /sigh.
The X300 is in my NAS which has redundancy. Thinking about the number of HDDs I've had since the 80s, 90s, 00s and this decade, I've only every had one go bad and that was 20 years ago. Probably because I outgrow capacity before drives go bad. It also means I have a bunch of retired drives for backups.

The X300 was cheap for 6Tb but it's a noisy bastard. I wouldn't buy another given it's purpose is to exist in my NAS which serves my Kodi box with media. I want those drives as quiet as possible. :yep2:

I went cheap for my external hard drive. It's the newer WD Desktop Passport model with 4tb for $90. No complaints so far. Bought an extra USB & power supply cable for my other XB1. Preferred the desktop model due to the built in stand for sitting it vertical. Came real close to getting the comparable Seagate drive with the 2 USB ports on the front.

Tommy McClain

Fair enough when it comes to a detailed, scientific analysis, but a general idea would suffice for the time being, and it really surprises me that there aren't any.

I don't need to measure the noise accurately to be certain that my launch PS4 is waaaaay too loud, and there's no way I'd consider a Pro until I know it's quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back