GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

Seriously I'm seeing posts that are anti-anti-anti-feminists hating on anti-anti-feminists.... They have to go deeper.

It’s a shame about GAF. Been a member for a decade. The brand is irreversibly tarnished, I don’t think games industry corporates will support the site or want to be associated with it anymore. Hopefully something positive will come out of this. Like a better more inclusive community.

Are ERP and Faf still posting here?

It’s a shame about GAF. Been a member for a decade. The brand is irreversibly tarnished, I don’t think games industry corporates will support the site or want to be associated with it anymore. Hopefully something positive will come out of this. Like a better more inclusive community.

Are ERP and Faf still posting here?

Not for 4-5 years according to search.

If what's said in that Kotaku article is true about her staying friendly with him and even having a physical relationship with him I find the whole thing ridiculous.

It's the sanctimonious mods who should be blamed for bringing neogaf down.Those same mods have been promoting a culture of guilty until proven innocent and over reacting.
The main issue is how he badly handled the whole situation. He didn’t release a statement for several days (and the one which he eventually made was terrible, basically accusing the person of jealousy and mental instability), keeping his mod team in the complete dark and leaving them to deal with the eventual aftermath - which is why many of them eventually buckled under pressure and left. Eventually shutting down GAF for a few days, then coming back and banning all political and social discourse as a response.

The main issue is how he badly handled the whole situation. He didn’t release a statement for several days (and the one which he eventually made was terrible, basically accusing the person of jealousy and mental instability), keeping his mod team in the complete dark and leaving them to deal with the eventual aftermath - which is why many of them eventually buckled under pressure and left. Eventually shutting down GAF for a few days, then coming back and banning all political and soc

Why did he have to handle it though? Considering the things we know now what he says about her is just as plausible as what she says about him.

Why did he have to handle it though? Considering the things we know now what he says about her is just as plausible as what she says about him.

Well, he openly admitted to a supposed unsolicited "ass grab" of a female in the past at a bar (he posted it! so he cant deny that one). Which nowdays seems like anything is grounds for a crowd of pitchforks.

People don't like Evilore or the way he runs his forum. So, they're leaving. GAF administration are going so far as blocking links *in PMs* to prevent members from communicating where they are going to each other, which is really petty and only the latest example in a long history of pettiness. You might want to write the whole thing off as an overreaction to this single event or another, but the truth is there was a pile of resentment building for years and this was the spark that caused it all to explode.

Regardless of what your thoughts are about this particular event, Evilore is still responsible for what's happening.

The front page of the gaming forum looks pretty much as it did this time last week with the exception of a couple of baity threads. It's certainly no less active with 50 threads all with comments within the last half hour. Frankly I can't tell the difference but then my ignore list is fairly extensive, maybe my entire list rage-quitted. :runaway:

The front page of the gaming forum looks pretty much as it did this time last week with the exception of a couple of baity threads. It's certainly no less active with 50 threads all with comments within the last half hour. Frankly I can't tell the difference but then my ignore list is fairly extensive, maybe my entire list rage-quitted. :runaway:

I expect NeoGAF will remain a big active gaming forum. What's in question is its status as the gaming forum. That's gonna take some time to determine.

I expect NeoGAF will remain a big active gaming forum. What's in question is its status as the gaming forum. That's gonna take some time to determine.

I think that the people who care about GAF's status in the industry are in the minority, with the vast majority just wanting to talk about games. That's all ever GAF has been for me. And if people in industry still want to engage with a large enthusiastic gaming community, I can't see that changing any time soon.

Some of things that were posted by people shortly before the forums went offline were disgusting. Not having people who felt it was ok to post things like that there? Maybe not a bad thing. It'll take a while to shake out and kudos to whose people who just went quiet with dignity, not demanding their nano-second of non-fame/online drama.

And all of this just detracts from the important issue. :-|

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.
Though Gaf now reads like they were a corporation that just went through a large number of layoffs.
operations is as usual, but organization was restructured, the people are upset as they lost some of their friends, they're unsure how to post because things have changed with new management. Trust is at an all time low, will take some time to get it back.

Though Gaf now reads like they were a corporation that just went through a large number of layoffs.
operations is as usual, but organization was restructured, the people are upset as they lost some of their friends, they're unsure how to post because things have changed with new management. Trust is at an all time low, will take some time to get it back.

I don't disagree with any of this but I think the the larger GAF readership, which is tens of thousands of people, care more about gaming than industry politics and are broadly content to put aside the less unsavoury aspects of the world for some wholesome gaming debate. I don't know how many people have left or been banned but it's had zero tangible impact on the site's activity, which I think is really the draw for the average gamer.

I'm old so I've seen this kind of thing before with Compunet, FidoNet BBS's, and online gaming guilds. People rage quit, sometimes over quite sensitive issues, but unless it's a very small community or the number of jumpers is disproportionately high, it has little impact on community at least, where existing people leave and new people join routinely.

If the front page had 4 threads with new posts I'd say GAF has membership number issues but that doesn't appear to be the case. People disliked the moderation, well lots of those moderators have left. Clearly lot's of vitriolic user's have left. Were they all bad? Almost certainly not. Not all change is good. Not all change is bad.

Back