XBox One Backwards Compatibility and Xbox One X Enhancements for X360 and OG (XO XOX BC)

I'm not sure what they did, but it's clear they did have to make some customization to Jaguar and possibly the GPU to support these features.
I wouldn't say it's clear.
I still believe that that cpu and gpu aren't customized any more than we already know.
we knew that the audio block saved 2 cores on the jaguar, they've told us that before.
The difference now is that we now know why it was done, well one of the factors.

what I found interesting, is that bc was always part of the plan but was put on hold while everything was changing due to launch.
they had all these plans that got shelved.

I'm glad that they've been able to do resolution bumps, makes huge difference. Something I was curious if was possible or not, be nice to hear more tech details

I wouldn't say it's clear.
I still believe that that cpu and gpu aren't customized any more than we already know.
we knew that the audio block saved 2 cores on the jaguar, they've told us that before.
The difference now is that we now know why it was done, well one of the factors.

As per the article:
We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.” This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One’s six CPU cores.
The goal was never just parity.” So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset.
XMA middleware would be CPU side. Texture formats GPU side. My thoughts on what that statement means at least. Then again, it does read it to be entirely CPU based.

I don't know if SHAPE replaces or emulates XMA, that's a reasonable line of thought as well.

Last edited:
XMA middleware would be CPU side. Texture formats GPU side. My thoughts on what that statement means at least. Then again, it does read it to be entirely CPU based.

I don't know if SHAPE replaces or emulates XMA, that's a reasonable line of thought as well.
SHAPE includes hardware XMA.
They've been on record about how much the SHAPE saved on the cpu in the past. It was the 2 cores mentioned in article. If it wasn't them, then it was in the SHAPE thread. Pretty sure they've also said it though.

Dude, if we get a Halo: Reach 4K update.... LAWD.

tumblr_inline_o7bgv8eoAC1snef70_400.jpg

Thanks. I hope they give; Reach, Alan Wake, NG2, Castlevania LOS, the 4k treatment. This is really an unexpected surprise.
"Characterisitcs" is a pretty broad term...I'm curious as to how many 360 games will get this update for X1X in the end...

probably will get more 360 1X enhanced games before OG Xbox, as its spring until the next batch.

a few things are done on the 360 enhanced ones, rez boost and 8 to 10 bit update for some games.
rez I suspected is easiest to do and therefore hope will get a lot more released with just that.

but when it comes to BC they've been pretty tight lipped when it comes to sharing info on the tech.

It's interesting that the res boost isn't to a standard 1080p or 2160p. It's:
- 4X res boost for OG Xbox games on X1S
- 9X for X360 games on X1X
- 16X for OG Xbox games on X1X.

Kinda gives you some insight of to how it may be handled at a lower level.

It's interesting that the res boost isn't to a standard 1080p or 2160p. It's:
- 4X res boost for OG Xbox games on X1S
- 9X for X360 games on X1X
- 16X for OG Xbox games on X1X.

Kinda gives you some insight of to how it may be handled at a lower level.
old games didn't have 16:9 format, so I can sort of see why they went with this type of language.

Except Ninja Gaiden: Black?
Widescreen games of that era generally still rendered at 640x480 (or various other slightly lower resolutions in some cases, particularly on the PS2), the widescreen support was achieved by rendering an anamorphic image and letting the TV stretch it to full-screen (because that's all regular SDTVs supported).

Widescreen games of that era generally still rendered at 640x480 (or various other slightly lower resolutions in some cases, particularly on the PS2), the widescreen support was achieved by rendering an anamorphic image and letting the TV stretch it to full-screen (because that's all regular SDTVs supported).
There were 50 Original Xbox games that could render at true 720p widescreen.
There were a lot more that operate the way you say — in anamorphic widescreen. There were also a handful of special cases, such as Vert- or 16:9/480i (Republic Commando).

Damn. If they pull keyboard and mouse support out of their butts and enable it on BC games....

I'll have to buy an XBO-X if that happens. Thankfully, since I'm not holding my breath on KB/M support, I don't think I'll need to buy an XBO-X.

But if they did! Although then I'd need someone to figure out a way to get my hacked texture packs into BC Soul Calibur and BC DOA games from the original Xbox working on the XBO-X. :p

Regards,
SB

KOTOR is looking pretty good, well, it's like the PC version but with gamepad and larger subtitles (probably many other differences for a digital foundry analysis to find!), also I had a few problems with shadows when replaying PC KOTOR a few years ago, looks like a great way of replaying the game,

oh and EA/Bioware are giving some free items on the Old Republic MMO to celebrate KOTOR on the Xbox One http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20171023

Back