Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference in texture detail is probably going to a bigger deal than the difference in resolution. I'm not that knowledgeable of graphics but outside of geometry and lighting I'd say texture quality is one of the more noticeable to the eye.
texture quality improves with resolution, so you definitely want both together to get the larger effect. But I agree that textures tend to be the first thing people notice.

Yeah!
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/odds-ends
HALO 5: GUARDIANS – OVERTIME CONTENT RELEASE
The Halo 5 Overtime content update brings a host of tweaks, adjustments, and other goodies all designed to improve overall player experience. Let’s a closer look at the big-ticket items we’ve got in store.

4K UPGRADES
The team at 343 Industries has been working closely with Skybox Labs (longtime Halo development partners on various projects including Halo 5: Forge for Windows 10) on enhancements to Halo 5 for Xbox One X. This update takes advantage of the extra power of Xbox One X to deliver higher visual fidelity for players who have compatible hardware. We’ve had builds running here in the studio for quite some time now and although we’re clearly biased, there’s no denying it looks stunning on a 4K display.

And of course, even if you don’t have an Xbox One X, there’s still plenty to look forward to in Halo 5’s November update as you’ll see below. We’ll have additional details in the weeks ahead, stay tuned.

It’s no secret that Halo Wars 2 is also getting enhanced for Xbox One X with visual upgrades that will also take advantage of what the newest console has to offer. Halo Wars 2 on Windows 10 PC has supported 4K resolutions since launch – and HDR was added for both Xbox One S and PC several months ago – so this update will bring all of that visual goodness over to your new Xbox One X.

But perhaps what’s even more exciting for Halo Wars 2 players are the two other additions coming to game – for everyone, on all platforms – with this next update. We’re excited to be rolling out support for Xbox Arena which will let players organize and conduct their own online tournaments in Halo Wars 2. Xbox Arena on Xbox Live officially launched in May and the 343 team has been working closely with our partners at Creative Assembly and on the Xbox platform team to bring this great feature to Halo Wars 2. Xbox Arena tournaments can be created or joined from either the Halo Wars 2 game hub or via an Xbox Club. The team is excited to see what the community will do with this awesome new feature when it rolls out in just a few weeks.

CROSSPLAY
We’ve touched on Xbox Arena before, so astute Halo Wars 2 players no doubt already knew that, but during our 10/17 live stream we also dropped breaking news of another new feature coming in the next game update – Crossplay for Xbox and Windows 10 PCs! As an Xbox Play Anywhere title, players have the ability to enjoy Halo Wars 2 on their console or PC, but up until now that has not included cross-platform online play. Crossplay has been a passion project for the team and frankly was something we weren’t sure would be feasible to incorporate at this stage in the game’s development. The team has worked hard to deliver this feature and final testing indicates it’s ready for release into the wild. Crossplay, Arena support, and the Xbox One X visual enhancements are all targeted for release in late October.
Fans of classic Halo games also have a lot to look forward to with today’s announcement that Halo: TheMaster Chief Collection will receive enhancements for Xbox One X, as well as fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game’s systems to take advantage of Xbox platform advancements since its original launch.

While we’re incredibly excited by this opportunity to go back under the hood with MCC, it’s not going to be easy nor is it going to happen overnight. To help facilitate this process we’re planning to roll out a public “flighting” program for MCC to allow for iterative patches and updates while testing in the wild at large scale. Right now, we’re targeting kicking this off next spring and when the time comes we’ll need the support of our community to help test and provide feedback at large scale as we work to update and improve MCC. We’ll share additional details and timing as plans are locked.

Last edited:
I really like the newer content support that @Rys installed a few weeks back. Instead of having to click through to another site to see if I'm interested in the content, I can read the entire content inline. Then if I want to see the follow-up discussions I can click through and continue reading on the third party site.

Anyways, back to reading what thoughts Frankie shares with us.

Here's the video of the commercial Microsoft is running for their Xbox One X console, "Feel True Power". It's supposed to air during the premiere tonight of The Walking Dead.

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Ignoring feelings, I don't know if the message was clear about what I am buying into.

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Ignoring feelings, I don't know if the message was clear about what I am buying into.

True Power of Minecraft!

Hey, it was in the commercial. And I laughed and shook my head at it.

There were very few words explaining exactly what it was just some imagery and rap music conveying a vague idea. I think they need to deliver a message similar to how it was done in E3 2016. Of course condensed and ...maybe... with a few celebrities, eg the Rock?

Last edited:
I know whats instore for me - a whole bunch of spending money1

4K TV installed last weekend. Kinect adapter purchased (note: free upgrade from XBOX One S launch period now ended and there isn't one for X, but price appears to have dropped to $30CAD). Playing around with Blu-rays via the XBOX I have the Idiotic-eureka-moment (I can't believe I didn't know this before) that an optical cable cant handle uncompressed multi-channel audio so with an HDMI 1.4 receiver I'll lose either high quality audio or HDR imagery (first world problems) so a new Receiver is on the list too.

Still, nice excuse for some new kit purchasing... ;)

I know whats instore for me - a whole bunch of spending money1

4K TV installed last weekend. Kinect adapter purchased (note: free upgrade from XBOX One S launch period now ended and there isn't one for X, but price appears to have dropped to $30CAD). Playing around with Blu-rays via the XBOX I have the Idiotic-eureka-moment (I can't believe I didn't know this before) that an optical cable cant handle uncompressed multi-channel audio so with an HDMI 1.4 receiver I'll lose either high quality audio or HDR imagery (first world problems) so a new Receiver is on the list too.

Still, nice excuse for some new kit purchasing... ;)

Use ARC with HDMI1.4

Run your sources directly to the TV. Then a HDMI cable on the ARC ports between your TV and Receiver.

That will give you the cleanest video output while still being able to decode HD audio.

ARC on the Samsung can only handle DTS or DD compressed formats, not uncompressed for some reason. They have also gone backwards in the last few generations where it is not automatically selecting the optimal format for the receiver (i.e. if you select DD for a for a source, which may include your files on a DLNA server, and the content is DTS the TV defaults back to PCM!). I've generally stuck by Samsung for TV's, but their handling of audio in the last few generations is frankly bad; its not been an issue before because I'd route through the receiver but this upgrade has brought this issue to the fore.

ARC on the Samsung can only handle DTS or DD compressed formats, not uncompressed for some reason. They have also gone backwards in the last few generations where it is not automatically selecting the optimal format for the receiver (i.e. if you select DD for a for a source, which may include your files on a DLNA server, and the content is DTS the TV defaults back to PCM!). I've generally stuck by Samsung for TV's, but their handling of audio in the last few generations is frankly bad; its not been an issue before because I'd route through the receiver but this upgrade has brought this issue to the fore.

OLED good sir. OLED...

This is console forum I know, but still! Will the updated Halo Masterchief Edition whatsitscalled/compilation available for PC too, or is it just xbones who get to enjoy it...?

It would be fun to play through the whole series finally, at some point. :)

Just Xbox One. >_>

They're doing a big update in 2018, so who knows. Maybe part of the networking upgrades will make it less broken for Win10 deployment.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/4-xbox-360-games-getting-xbox-one-x-enhancements

:mrgreen:

I'd like to see some improvements for Gear games.
------------------------------
https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/games/gears-of-war-4/xbox-one-x-enhanced

Up to 60FPS For Ultra Smooth Gameplay
We’re excited to announce Xbox One X owners will have two Preferred Rendering Options to choose from in Gears of War 4 – Visuals and Performance!

Performance

Put framerate first. For the first time ever on console, Gears of War will play at up to 60fps in 1080p in Campaign and Horde - all including higher resolution textures and some of the new enhanced graphical features available in Visuals mode.

Visuals

Push graphical fidelity to the max. This mode uses Ultra Quality Textures, a wealth of new and improved graphical features all at 4K resolution (3840x2160) thanks to the power of Xbox One X. You’ll experience the same frame rates you’ve come to expect from Gears of War 4 – 30fps for Campaign and Horde .

In both Rendering modes, Versus will run at a rock-solid 4K 60FPS (with adaptive resolution scaling).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back